Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Perth Classed As Regional Work Now

Options
  • 31-12-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All!

I am just wondering if you work in perth on whv would it count for your 2nd whv or is it still only for skilled visa applicants.. Friend was telling me the other day that they had brought new thing in because the were short of workers.. any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanx...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

check and see what postcodes are included in perth,as perth is pretty large.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

pretty sure it is.
    but do a search as there was a thread on here about it a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 celticfan26

Tanx for yer replies guys..

Ah i had looked it up but the post and forum was about 5 months old..Their was meant to be something coming in nov 1st so thats why inquiring is it in yet and like i had asked in my first post is it for whv or skilled..

Tanx Again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Would be a full on joke if Irish people who are living and working in Perth doing construction could get their 3 months regional work done simply by doing their day job while the rest of us have to relocate to sh1tholes in the middle of nowhere! Perth has over 1 million people. If that is considered regional then the whole thing is a bit of a joke IMO.

Would be a full on joke if Irish people who are living and working in Perth doing construction could get their 3 months regional work done simply by doing their day job while the rest of us have to relocate to sh1tholes in the middle of nowhere! Perth has over 1.5 million people. If that is considered regional then the whole thing is a bit of a joke IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

04072511 wrote: »
    Would be a full on joke if Irish people who are living and working in Perth doing construction could get their 3 months regional work done simply by doing their day job while the rest of us have to relocate to sh1tholes in the middle of nowhere! Perth has over 1 million people. If that is considered regional then the whole thing is a bit of a joke IMO.

Did you do your regional work yet? How'd you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have a idea lets check the Immi site

Western Australia 6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799
    Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm

Now go Bush

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Now go Bush[/QUOTE]

...and stop listening to pub talk. If its not on the immigration website its probably wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Also in those areas it still has to be specific work. The amout of people that think working in a pub/childminding etc in a rural area counts as well is shocking!

You are indeed correct

What is specified work?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

• Advertisement

There was a girl in my hostel here in Melbourne who said she was going to Perth to work in a bar to get her 2nd year visa. I was astonished! She was adament at first that it counted until she actually shut up and listened to me!

I have added those two above links to the FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

That link does not include a WHV visa

In summary, Perth will be classified as a regional area for the following migration programs:
    • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119 / 857)
    • Skilled Regional sponsored provisional (subclass 475)
    • Skilled Regional sponsored provisional (subclass 487)
    • Skilled Regional permanent (subclass 887).

Zambia wrote: »
    That link does not include a WHV visa

Sorry Zambia but is that the 2nd year working Visa??? I don't know what the visa's are, but I was at a meeting in Cork a couple of weeks ago with visafirst and they were saying Perth counted for a second year holiday visa

Its all WHV 2nd visas unless it was on the visa types you and I just posted its not.

Well that would be my reading of the DIAC website.

Yeah I just checked my own link the 2nd WHV visa eligiblity states NOT Perth and surrounds.

I would love visafirst to come on here debate it and convince me otherwise.

Thanks Zambia. Doesn't really effect me because I don't plan on staying a second year but I know people who changed there plan's because of it so there heads will be wreaked when I tell them this.

Happy to be the bearer of such crappy tidings.....

At least they know when there is time to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

wow a visa company really should know their facts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

04072511 wrote: »
    There was a girl in my hostel here in Melbourne who said she was going to Perth to work in a bar to get her 2nd year visa. I was astonished! She was adament at first that it counted until she actually shut up and listened to me!

That's because she probably listened to some muppet in a pub rather than check it out on the website, in that case more fool her.

I think we should put WHV pub rumours in the Banshee and Leprechaun category makes a good story but lets wake up and smell the coffee.

I can see how it happens.

As big and horrible as the Immigration site is for first timers once you know the Visa you want its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brainy Smurf

gudede wrote: »
    Sorry Zambia but is that the 2nd year working Visa??? I don't know what the visa's are, but I was at a meeting in Cork a couple of weeks ago with visafirst and they were saying Perth counted for a second year holiday visa

Hi Gudede,

I was at one of their talks too recently. I found them informative and helpful.

I understood from the talk that that the Perth reclassification was with respect to regional sponsored migration scheme visa - not the working holiday visa. The guy from Visafirst said that Perth city was added regional list for the regional visa so if you now have a job offer from an employer in this area, that you may be eligible to apply for this regional visa whereas previously (before July 2011) you could not.

They didn't say that this reclassification applied to the working holiday visa though or getting a second working holiday visa.

Hope this helps.
    B SMURF

Hi Brainy Smurf,

I also found them quite informative and helpful and I even told people to get in contact with them that they gave good advice on the different visa's that were available to people.

I picked up that the change in the law's also applied to the second year working holiday visa. As most people who attend these meeting and most people I know who go to Australia and who want to go to Australia go on this visa and only have interest in this visa as it give them experience of Australia. If they like Australia then they look into other visa's (unless your a family because working holiday visa is no good to family's)

I feel that the presenter (may it's you, as you signed up just to defend visafirst) should stress that the change in the law's don't apply to the holiday working visa, as I feel this is the most used visa. (I have no stat's on this I'm just using personnel experience)

I did find the presentation quite good and I would recommend people dealing with visafirst as they gave good information about each visa type but I felt like, the "Perth Point" wasn't dealt with correctly as I and other people I know left with the idea, working in Perth would count as regional work. This thrend was set up with the view working in Perth would count as regional work and I would like to thank Zambia and the others for clearing up this.

Welcome to boards B SMURF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Did you do your regional work yet? How'd you find it?

I'm in Melbourne but looking to do my regional, will be heading on my own doing it. Looking on the harvest trail section of the immigration website mainly and it seems helpful enough.

Welcome to the forum Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi All!

I am just wondering if you work in perth on whv would it count for your 2nd whv or is it still only for skilled visa applicants.. Friend was telling me the other day that they had brought new thing in because the were short of workers.. any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanx...

Hi Celticfan26,

Perth is not regional for the working holiday visa.
    Perth is deemed regional for other visas as pointed out by Zambia including the regional sponsored migration scheme visa which gives permanent residency if you have a job offer.

Also, not all types of work meet the visa requirements to be eligible to apply for the second working holiday visa in the first place as pointed out by Green Princess.

New changes were introduced on 01 July 2011 but this was to reclassify Perth as regional for the regional sponsored migration scheme - not the working holiday visa.

Make sure the informatiion you get is correct - from a registered agent or from immigration directly. Going by pub talk could result costly mistakes for you.

Thanks Zambia

• Advertisement

Hi Gudede,

Unfortunately not. As the link you posted suggested this is for "skilled" visas - not he working holiday visa

Advertisement