Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what thickness to cut hurley planks

Options
  • 31-12-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi does anyone know what thicknes to cut hurley planks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I worked with a hurley-maker for a while but can't answer that question for you.:D Give one of them a ring. Do you know what you are doing? Remember you need to get the grain right too.
    Where are you based and what do you plan to do with the planks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hurley makers like to have saw mill operators that they know to cut the planks that they buy. That way the quality control is done for them before they buy the planks. Contact a few. Get quotes, and see who they recommend to cut. Many Hurley makers won't buy unless they know the mill operator. I can get u a number for a buyer and a cutter if u need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 govenordann

i am the one going to cut the hurley planks

Contact potential buyers
    i am the one going to cut the hurley planks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 govenordann

i tried that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

They wounld need to be about 35mm thick at the bas. This will allow for twist or warpage.

I have seen planks cut thinner but thats where it all goes wrong when it seasons.

Put the boards under cover outdoors for a while, but put plenty weight on them to help stop them twisting.

Ours were cut at inch thickness but the 2 guys that bought from us over the years would only buy planks sawed by an approved sawer.
    i tried that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pavluchenko

The correct width to cut the planks is 29mm. Don't go anything over this as the planks will be a nightmare to work if you do. 35mm is a mile too wide, they will all have to be planer thicknessed when they are ready for use if you do. They will also take a lot longer to season. Voice of experience here. Trust me!

Advertisement