Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forum Infraction for suggesting Mod made himself a nice cup of cocoa

Options
  • 31-12-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I received an infraction from the moderator Su Campu because after he pm’d me - with what I can only, and unfortunately, describe as harassing private messages - I suggested in private that he made himself 'a nice cup of cocoa'.

His pm’s were bizarre to say the least – he tried to put words into my mouth; threatened me with a ban; demanded that I deleted a post and that if I didn’t I would be trolling; back seat modding, whatever else, etc, it didn’t seem to matter.

I’m raising this issue now, and bringing it into the open, as I see the my original point on which I apparently got the infraction for has been repeated by numerous other posters who are extremely disillusioned with how certain threads and posters are treated on the Weather forum as can be seen from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056498986

Whilst I admit the infraction itself hasn’t caused me any major undue upset or harm, I am very concerned about the manner in which I received these personal pm’s from Su Campu and the implication that one way or another something would seemingly be concocted against me if I didn’t acquiesce to his demands.

I’d also be interested to find out if the numerous other posters who have expressed the same concerns in much stronger terms than I did have now received infractions?

I hope that in bringing this into the open others won’t be subjected to similar ignoble treatment in private messages.

I’d appreciate if this matter could be investigated by a category mod.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'll look into this for you.

Can we please forward me by PM any of the PM's that you received from the Mod

Thanks

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

There seem to be several points being brought up here. I'm going to attempt to break these down, and after having read the mentioned PM exchange clear things up. Some of these issues fall way outside the remit of the DRP and as such, I won't be dealing with them here in any detail.
    snow ghost wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I received an infraction from the moderator Su Campu because after he pm’d me - with what I can only, and unfortunately, describe as harassing private messages - I suggested in private that he made himself 'a nice cup of cocoa'.

His pm’s were bizarre to say the least – he tried to put words into my mouth; threatened me with a ban; demanded that I deleted a post and that if I didn’t I would be trolling; back seat modding, whatever else, etc, it didn’t seem to matter.

I've read these PM's. They were none of these things in my opinion. You made a post on that thread, questioning the Moderating of the forum. This goes against the ethos of the site, and is one of the long held rules here.

You were asked by PM to clarify what you said, given a chance to retract the post and take it down the right route and you didn't. You then received an infraction.

Moderators will often PM a user before just lashing out the infraction or ban stick, giving a poster the chance to explain or delete their comments. Usually, when a Mod does this it's taken as a good thing tbh.
    I’m raising this issue now, and bringing it into the open, as I see the my original point on which I apparently got the infraction for has been repeated by numerous other posters who are extremely disillusioned with how certain threads and posters are treated on the Weather forum as can be seen from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056498986

This isn't really the place for comment and criticism of the Weather forum. I can understand your reasoning here, though I don't agree with it. How other posters are treated or sanctioned has little bearing on you.
    Whilst I admit the infraction itself hasn’t caused me any major undue upset or harm, I am very concerned about the manner in which I received these personal pm’s from Su Campu and the implication that one way or another something would seemingly be concocted against me if I didn’t acquiesce to his demands.

I've dealt with the PM's above. Su Campu effectively called you out on in the PM's. You were also given a chance to explain you post, your reasoning and a chance to withdraw it from the thread. It was explained to you that there are proper channels to go down. I've read your responses, and there is an element of glibness there, but nothing too over the top either. You didn't respond though, so much like the advantage rule in rugby, the foul got called and play was brought back, and the penalty given. In this case penalty = infraction.

I am certainly not reading that there was some conspiracy against you, or that something would be concocted. Believe me, if I thought that this was the case I'd be acting on it in a big way.
    I’d also be interested to find out if the numerous other posters who have expressed the same concerns in much stronger terms than I did have now received infractions?

Not relevant to your case, but I do know that the forum Mods are discussing this sort of thing at present
    I hope that in bringing this into the open others won’t be subjected to similar ignoble treatment in private messages.

Covered above
    I’d appreciate if this matter could be investigated by a category mod.
    [/QUOTE]

Done :)

So, from my point of view

The infraction stands, you were back seat modding, and questioning Mod decisions on-thread.

The PM conversation wasn't weird or insulting or aggressive or harassing. A Mod is completely entitled to PM a user and ask for clarification on a post. Su Campu may not have been buddy buddy in his tone but as the Mod of a busy forum this I can understand. For reference, we will be looking at getting extra Mods on board, so the guys will have a bit more time to deal with individuals.

Hope this clears things up. I would ask though that if you have issues with a forum and it's moderation then you use the proper channel. Using the DRP to make a point takes up time that I could be using to help the Mods in a forum deal with things. It takes time to read PM's, threads, have a think and then communicate all that back to people. This goes for anyone else who is reading this post tbh.

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I respectfully disagree with your analysis of matters Dr Galen, and I stand by my original points raised in my opening post here, and make no qualms for that.

That said, I will assume you have acted in good faith in you reasoning, and despite our fundamental difference of opinion on this matter, I reluctantly accept your points with one caveat – my belief that in raising my concerns here a greater good may have indirectly been achieved however inadvertently.

Thanks for looking into matter and as far as I am concerned this matter has been resolved.

All the best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement