Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco Maynooth

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

If they sold in any kind of number, I'd imagine there would end up being a market for partially spent batteries (from crashed leafs), suitable for older cars.

... there might well be a market for stolen batteries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

RoverJames wrote: »
    Andy Palmer, Nissan GB’s senior vice-president, told the paper that the lithium ion battery is made up of 48 modules. He said that each would cost £404 to replace, making £19,392 for the entire battery pack. He said that most owners would not need a new battery for at least ten years because electric vehicles should mainly be used for short journeys.

What happens after 10 years though? Also he says most would not need a new battery not most won't need a new module.

If the battery is at 80% capacity after 5 years is it not reasonable to think that after another 5 it will be worse again?

Also lets face it, there's a decent chance they're wrong or at least not 100% correct.

We've talked about replacing the whole pack and individual modules. My understanding of the Leaf battery pack is that it is a traction battery pack and these do stress individual cells to different degrees, so replacing individual modules is a viable possibility to restore performance over time.

Another possibility is that Nissan are opening a Leaf factory in Sunderland, so perhaps they'll have the option to send the battery pack over there for refurbishment? I'm not claiming that as a surefire fact! Just putting it out there as there are still hundreds of Toyota RAV4 EV's in the US going over 100,000 and 150,000 miles on original battery packs, some of which have been reconditioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to you :)
    I was speaking in general terms.

Sorry didn't mean to come across as touchy :) It wasn't meant like that! What I should have added is, I've spoken to other Leaf owners and while I definitely can't speak for all of them, Some of them have expressed to me the same desire to hold onto the Leaf as a long term investment. So at least some owners are thinking along the same timescale as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Whatever about your other points, you can scratch that one if you want to sound remotely credible.

-Fossil fuel burning station are considerably more efficient/cleaner than ICEs.

LEAF can do about 4kms per kWh and 1kWh in Ireland needs about 500g CO2 to be emitted - that means that LEAF is 125g/km emission car so realistically band B. I would mostly charge at night, when wind generation is quite strong so as I look at eirgrid data on CO2 that could mean that on good nights I get 400g from 1kWh that still would put LEAF in 100g/km range - which is much better but still not that much superior to some diesel engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

September1 wrote: »
    LEAF can do about 4kms per kWh and 1kWh in Ireland needs about 500g CO2 to be emitted - that means that LEAF is 125g/km emission car so realistically band B. I would mostly charge at night, when wind generation is quite strong so as I look at eirgrid data on CO2 that could mean that on good nights I get 400g from 1kWh that still would put LEAF in 100g/km range - which is much better but still not that much superior to some diesel engines.

But as the Leaf is more suited to short run driving, surely a diesel shouldn't be the comparator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dharn wrote: »
    its only a matter of time before someone in a daesil parks in one of those bays :D

More like mammy wagon with 17 brats parked across both charging points, "I'll only be a minaaaaa!" before disappearing into Supermacs for two hours with their brood.
    And then into the newsagent for redtop rag, packet of fags, ice cream all round, lottery ticket and scratch card (Whaddaya wan'? I'm shoppin'!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

More like mammy wagon with 17 brats parked across both charging points, "I'll only be a minaaaaa!" before disappearing into Supermacs for two hours with their brood.
    And then into the newsagent for redtop rag, packet of fags, ice cream all round, lottery ticket and scratch card (Whaddaya wan'? I'm shoppin'!)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Marcusm wrote: »
    But as the Leaf is more suited to short run driving, surely a diesel shouldn't be the comparator.

They do, most of Prius/CT200H are 89 and new Skoda TSI is 119. I think that LEAF not competitive in price for short run use, with high initial cost you really need to use it to get some return on low fuel costs.

I also made a point that there is no considerable improvement in CO2 emissions, not that it is worst polluter ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Supermacs is about 8 minutes walk away. McDonalds on the other hand is about 40 seconds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MYOB wrote: »
    Supermacs is about 8 minutes walk away. McDonalds on the other hand is about 40 seconds ;)

Aaaw! 40 seconds!:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement