Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New years eve 2011

Options
  • 27-12-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions for a good place to go with the girlfriend for New Years in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Goofy wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions for a good place to go with the girlfriend for New Years in Galway?

It's kind of been done to death but how about KC Blakes? They do good steaks anyway.

I like The Huntsman Inn for price and food quality.

Gemelles down Quay Street was pretty good when I went there with a girl.

Cavas seems to be well liked on Dominick Street. It's Tapas. I hear it's pretty expensive...I'm not into Tapas so have never gone.

Rogues just opened recently, also on Dominick Street. It's a French restaraunt. Very limited menu but not in a bad way, the menu they do have is gourmet. Haven't been there so can't comment on how it is but seems to be getting good reviews.

Oscars on Dominick Street is a good seafood place.

Tamiraind down by the Spanish Arch is a good place for Thai, though personally I think it's more Chinese than Thai..

If you are after Indian Kashmir has a nice decor and the food is alright.

McSwiggans in Woodquay does really good food. Service is good but slow. Very pricey, they charge a lot for sides!

Pullman Restaraunt out in Bushypark again has a very limited set menu. Food is pretty good. It's not overly romantic though as it's on an old train cart.

Fat Freddies on Quay Street is ok in the evenings, during the day when it's bright out the decor doesn't look great. Food isn't what it once was but if you are into simple foods it's not a terrible option.

Cactus Jacks does a tex mex, it's ok..wouldn't bowl ya over

Kirwans Lane restaraunt is meant to be very nice but it's one place I haven't been yet. A lot of people seem to go there for graduation and occasions so it must be pretty nice. Decor looks good too.

Another one I haven't personally visited is No. 8 by the docks but people on here are raving about it...

Milanos is ok for Pizza and Pasta. Modern style decor. It's good but if you are looking to be romantic I'd say look somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You'd be doing well to get a table anywhere in town that night.

If you just meant for a drink, depends what type of bars you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Personally I'd just stay home and have a house party or make dinner, the streets of Galway on New Years are fit for neither man nor beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭board stiff

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Personally I'd just stay home and have a house party or make dinner, the streets of Galway on New Years are fit for neither man nor beast.

That sounds heavy doc, could you elaborate on that a bit.

I'm visiting my brother and his family in Galway this weekend and was thinking of staying for New Years Eve.
    Do you mean that it gets rough as in dangerous or just the usual drunken behaviour.
    I've been out a few times in Galway and found it alright.
    I'm 28 and single so I thought I'd get toffed up and ring in the new year somewhere fun. I heard Radisson Blu have some fancy shindig but it sounded expensive.

If anyone has some suggestions I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Do you mean that it gets rough as in dangerous or just the usual drunken behaviour.
    There's always the chance of that, but the difference is any pub worth the effort will be wedged solid and you won't be able to get a taxi for love nor money. I didn't enjoy it last year, maybe other people did. Bringing a few friends round and having some good food and drink is all round a better plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

I know there is karma or hello, but dont think is the rigjts place for me.

anythink happen on that nite in the "clubbing dance" style like it used to be in old good GPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure, tbh Galway is pretty lame for NYE.

From Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Have your own houseparty with the music you want. Way cheaper, more fun and less hassle than endless queues, overpriced entry and drinks, and wedged bars and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey,

My girlfriend and I took a last minute trip to Galway today, is everywhere ticket only tonight or can anyone recommend anywhere to go? We're both in our early 20's.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Just me, or was Galway a bit quieter than usual last night? I was pleasantly surprised. Had a much more enjoyable night than last year where you couldn't breathe, order a drink, go to the toilet (where girls were using the gents, how classy) and taxis like gold dust. None of that this year. Either people decided to have more houseparties, or everyone is in Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Have your own houseparty with the music you want. Way cheaper, more fun and less hassle than endless queues, overpriced entry and drinks, and wedged bars and clubs.

lol wut

schoolboy error kid. Go to someone else's houseparty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Last night was the quietst New Years Ive seen in a long time.
    I even only met one bunch of scangers who wanted to have a go at me. I managed to bull**** two of them to end up batin each other lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

it was great craic in the blue note

locked and so i was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

McTigs wrote: »
    it was great craic in the blue note

locked and so i was

Yeah. The tunes in the Blue Note were fairly kicking alright! And it was definitely quieter in there than the previous year. I was able to get served within a few minutes the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Cavas seems to be well liked on Dominick Street. It's Tapas. I hear it's pretty expensive...I'm not into Tapas so have never gone.

Rogues just opened recently, also on Dominick Street. It's a French restaraunt. Very limited menu but not in a bad way, the menu they do have is gourmet. Haven't been there so can't comment on how it is but seems to be getting good reviews.

McSwiggans in Woodquay does really good food. Service is good but slow. Very pricey, they charge a lot for sides!

couple of comments on the above.

It's called ROUGE not Rogues, and it is not gourmet. It's a wine bar essentially, with a two course meal for 15 Euro. You get a choice of fish, steak or vegetarian with potatoes for the main course. The starter is standard for everybody - four light bites which may contain, cheese, tuna, bruchetta, melon and ham bits, etc. Wine and desserts are extra. It is certainly not gourmet, but is very good value, tasty, and great atmosphere,

CAVAS is the best tapas in town - it is NOT at all expensive when you compare it to other tapas places - the Cottage, the Black Cat. The food is very good and would highly recommend.

McSwiggans - living off its "name" as a good food place. It is in fact very average, overpriced and not worth it unless you want pub food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It's called ROUGE not Rogues, and it is not gourmet. It's a wine bar essentially, with a two course meal for 15 Euro. .
    Was that place Le Graal years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Was that place Le Graal years back?

Yep, and after that Camelot and Tara. Le Graal had the best days!

Rouge is great. I would disagree that it is essentially a wine bar. It is a wine bar up front and restaurant in the back. Not 'gourmet' no, but definitely a proper 'restaurant feel' in the back part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement