Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scope Mounts Do you have

Options
  • 31-12-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

So a recent thread has go me thinking and curious,what scope mounts do you have and how are they put together??i'm a picatinny rail fan so most of mine are picatinny mounted..how about you?post pics if possible..might even TRY post some myself:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Might aswell throw in here too.:)

I'm a big fan of picatinny rails. Easy to mount, easy to use, veratile, and much "truer" than other mounting systems. Whether a two piece;

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=10986

Or a single rail;

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=8604

For the target rifles i prefer a one piece single rail. Less fuss when setting up, and much more room to move the scope without having to take it out of the rings.

As for rings i try and buy the best i can afford. I've had, and have everything from SportsMatch to Burris to Warne and currently Nightforce rings.

On the Remmy there is Burris 2 piece rail, and Burris Zee rings.

One the Savage hunter there is a Savage own brand two piece mounts, and Sportsmatch rings.

On the Target rifle there is a Near's one piece 20MOA rail, and nightforce rings.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Changed over to picatinny rails on all my rifles and use Burris Xtreme mounts.

CZ .223 model 527 varmint with Kevlar stock

12052010029.jpg

12052010031.jpg

CZ .22 varmint customised 452

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Sako 75 laminated varmint in .308

IMG_0295.jpg

Intimberstock03.jpg

Kidd Ruger 10/22

e7ed9ed9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

kakashka wrote: »
    .how about you?post pics if possible..might even TRY post some myself:eek:
    For a hunting rifle, I like weaver mounts with Burris Zee rings

For a war gun, tactical rifle, or the like, I go with a Picatinny rail with Burris XTR rings.

Haven't settled on rings for my Sako. Right now she has Leupold ring/bases.

The Picatinny look a bit too milataristic for my hunting rifle tastes. Also, the Picatinny rails I have sit higher than my weavers.

You really have to like the contact area and 6 screws per ring on the XTR's.

Clive - the 10/22 looks suh-weet!

However, I want to see some Zeiss or Sightron glass on that rig AND some XTR rings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have the same bases and rings on both rifles.
    I will go one piece in the new year though.
    186773.jpg

Just to make it even simpler to swap scopes from one rifle to the other

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

I have IOR 35mm mounts mounted on an IOR one piece picatinny rail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

kakashka wrote: »
    So a recent thread has go me thinking and curious,what scope mounts do you have and how are they put together??i'm a picatinny rail fan so most of mine are picatinny mounted..how about you?post pics if possible..might even TRY post some myself:eek:

badger ordanance...need i say more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mine came with Burris rings & bases, I replaced the bases with an EGW Picatinny rail and Burris XTR rings.
    I am very happy with the combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

I am also dedicated user of picatinny rails on all of my rifles. I do use different rings like Burris Signature Zee, EAW 365 high precision rings and MAK milmount rings. I specially like the EAW because they really do hold zero no matter how many time you put them on and off the rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Learn from my mistake...!!!!

When I was buying my scope (of a very well regarded optic website) the chap threw in a free set of mounts. I cant remember just off the top of my head what make they are, but Im thinking maybe badger ordanance.

Anyway, most mounts have 2 sets of screws. The first one screws the mounts to the rail and the second secure the scope down.

THese mounts on the other hand only have one set of screws that screw onto the rail and the top half of the mount tightens around the scope automatically.

At 120euro shelf price I thought they must be pretty good and the guy assured me that single set of screws are all the rage in the USA... (and lets face it I wasnt gonna start being picky and choosey when he was throwing them in for nothing)

Long story short, honestly they are very good mounts when you have the scope in and all the screws tightened down and everythings all set up.

But the amount of messing to get it setup just wasn't worth it. I was pulling my hair out over them :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Gonzor wrote: »

When I was buying my scope (of a very well regarded optic website) the chap threw in a free set of mounts. I cant remember just off the top of my head what make they are, but Im thinking maybe badger ordanance.

Anyway, most mounts have 2 sets of screws. The first one screws the mounts to the rail and the second secure the scope down.

THese mounts on the other hand only have one set of screws that screw onto the rail and the top half of the mount tightens around the scope automatically.

At 120euro shelf price I thought they must be pretty good and the guy assured me that single set of screws are all the rage in the USA... (and lets face it I wasnt gonna start being picky and choosey when he was throwing them in for nothing)

Long story short, honestly they are very good mounts when you have the scope in and all the screws tightened down and everythings all set up.

But the amount of messing to get it setup just wasn't worth it. I was pulling my hair out over them :eek: :mad:

Sounds like your talking about warne rings, a lot of guys dont like them
    203M-2.jpg

I have optilocks on my sako and like them and have sportsmatch on my cz, find them fine for what i do, never had trouble with either with the exception of the screws on the optilok rings, they are very dilicate so you have to be careful not to ruin the head on them when loosening or tightening them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I like to match the mounts to the rifle.
    I have a near picatinny rail and tps rings on my sako trg
    optilock low ringmounts on my sako 85
    Burris two piece tactical bases and signature zee rings on my remington
    and a set of sportsmatch rings on my cz 22.
    All are mounted as low as possible so I spent a lot of time checking out different brands before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Some of mine,rails are precision reflex,one modified extended rear to help relief,(didnt want to cut stock) and other extended front rear,two piece blocks are warn,one piece quick detach is an A.R.M.S quad ring and a simular in std double ring 30mm,two sets of Leupold rings,one Quick detach,find these very good value and very well made,the zeiss is a 26mm so 30-26mm inserts fitted,one piece is a 45moa AI

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

doyle61 wrote: »
    I have IOR 35mm mounts mounted on an IOR one piece picatinny rail
    IOR seem to be very well made,like them myself
    clivej wrote: »
    Changed over to picatinny rails on all my rifles and use Burris Xtreme mounts
    very nice Clivej,love the lam stocks,lovely
    Gonzor wrote: »

Doesnt sound like warn but if they are i'm not a fan either to be honest although i have used and no prob,just not a fan of the system/idea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have one set of Warne QR rings on the 10/22 - Bushnell 6-18x50 scope. i'm not a fan of them but once fitted are as good as any.

The trick is to tighten up the screws that hold the rings to the dovetail first and then you can rotate the scope in the rings to get the scope level. If a small screwdriver is used to open out the rings at the top the scope will rotate easy.

When all is leveled up can tighten up the top screws.

Advertisement