Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

premier league ?

• 31-12-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭

Taylor, Anderson, Wade and Lewis I guess are the top 4 ?
    plus 4 wildcards ?
    Any insight anyone ?

I reckon Whitlock any way, Hamilton if he gets to the final must be in with a shout. Barney ? surely not !!
    I am sure Hankey would get in if he switched and if he has a good BDO worlds

Newton,Webster, Van Gerwen must be hoping now that they have a chance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

seiphil wrote: »
    Taylor, Anderson, Wade and Lewis I guess are the top 4 ?
    plus 4 wildcards ?
    Any insight anyone ?

I reckon Whitlock any way, Hamilton if he gets to the final must be in with a shout. Barney ? surely not !!
    I am sure Hankey would get in if he switched and if he has a good BDO worlds

Newton,Webster, Van Gerwen must be hoping now that they have a chance...

Poor aul Andy Hamilton just isn't entertaining enough he would have to win the WC before he is considered I'd say. Webster was hammered this year wasn't he, so don't see him in the reckoning. Newton isn't entertaining enough. Remember the prem league is all about ticket sales as far as the PDC is concerned!

Whitlock is a cert and Barney will get in as he is still a fans favourite. Other two is anyone's guess MVG is a good shout, if Hankey switches reckon he'll get in but they'll prob go for Nicholson for entertainment value :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I'm gonna go with:
    Taylor,
    Lewis,
    Wade,
    Anderson (top 4)

and

Whitlock
    Webster (Welsh crowds)
    Nicholson
    ......and Hankey, whether he has a good BDO worlds or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Barney nailed on for the Dutch television. It's not right but will happen. At the expense of nicholson or Webster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

Nicholson is too much of a whiny bitch. i used to support him but his interview after the huybrechts defeat proved he is a wanker.

i will lose a lot of respect for the premier league if they give Barney a spot after another pathetic year. you will get the lager louts to show up regardless of whos in and the venues will still make their money. my 4 WC's would be

Hamilton
    Whitlock
    Part
    Jenkins

if the PDC need a dutch player for TV reasons then give Van Gerwen a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Taylor,
    Lewis,
    Wade,
    Anderson,
    Whitlock.

Above certainties.

Gets tricky then.

Barnevald.
    Painter.
    Hamilton only if he is World Champion.
    Otherwise Webster.

• Advertisement

Taylor Barney Lewis Wade Whitlock Anderson Jenkins MVG/Hankey anything else and it would be a big surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Taylor, Phil - Nailed On
    Lewis, Adrian - Nailed On
    Wade, James - Nailed On
    Anderson, Gary - Nailed On

Whitlock, Simon - Not without chance
    Webster, Mark - Write off
    Newton, Wesley - Write off
    Barneveld, Raymond van - More than likely will sneak one
    Painter, Kevin - not this year imo; who knows??
    Jenkins, Terry - Not this year; although closer than most
    Walsh, Mark - No
    Voort, Vincent van der - Slight squeak
    Baxter, Ronnie - No
    Jones, Wayne - No
    Lloyd, Colin - No
    King, Mervyn - Unfortunately probably not there
    Hamilton, Andy - slight chance; tomorrow crucial
    Caven, Jamie - No
    Ovens, Denis - No
    Smith, Andy - No
    Nicholson, Paul -Not inconceivable
    Stompé, Co - as above; although the dutch quota may be succeeded
    Osborne, Colin - No
    Tabern, Alan - No
    Pipe, Justin - oh god please no.
    Brown, Steve - No
    Dolan, Brendan - I'll eat me own mickey
    Part, John - Not without a chance
    Wright, Peter - No

My own outsider fancy as ive said before is Dave Chisnall, purely down to the fact he can bang in 180's, and the toppling of Taylor wont go unnoticed. Also; the BDO winner maybe be offered a place; which throws Winstanley/Waites/Hankey right in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 the fat man

can;t see the winner of the bdo world championship getting a premier league spot the rumours out there are that if you win the bdo worlds title you are contracted to come back and defend it the following year which when you think about it makes sense t.he bdo have to contract there players just like the pdc do.so if your contracted to play in the bdo how could you play in the pdc premier league because i am sure the pdc would want a contract signed as well neither side would allow players jump from side to side wouldn;t make sense.there just seems to be an agreement for the one tournament the grand slam that both sides come together so the only way hankey would get a priemier league spot would be if he deciced to move over to the pdc can;t see that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

can;t see the winner of the bdo world championship getting a premier league spot the rumours out there are that if you win the bdo worlds title you are contracted to come back and defend it the following year which when you think about it makes sense t.he bdo have to contract there players just like the pdc do.so if your contracted to play in the bdo how could you play in the pdc premier league because i am sure the pdc would want a contract signed as well neither side would allow players jump from side to side wouldn;t make sense.there just seems to be an agreement for the one tournament the grand slam that both sides come together so the only way hankey would get a priemier league spot would be if he deciced to move over to the pdc can;t see that happening

The PDC would more than likely pay the BDO to remove said player from his contract

Basically like a football transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Taylor
    Wade
    Anderson
    Lewis
    Whitlock
    Barney

are pretty much nailed on imo. Hamilton has to have a good chance for reaching the semis. Webster and Jenkins got one last year for doing the same thing. If he reached the final though, he has to be nailed on for it. The last one is tricky. At the moment i think Nicholson would be favourite but if a big BDO player switched they would automatically get the spot imo. I think what people have to remember is that the PDC have 2 picks and Sky have 2 picks. Sky are going to get two "flashy" high profile players in Barney and Nicholson/BDO player while the PDC will probably go down the road of picking the players who deserve it most ie. Hamilton.

• Advertisement

Well now that the tournament is concluded it sheds a little more light on who will get the 8 places.

Wade, Taylor, Lewis and Anderson are guaranteed leaving 4 wildcards to be selected. The fact that sky have 2 wildcards tells a big story about how the entertainment factor plays a key role.

I'd imagine between them and the PDC they'll come up with Whitlock, Barney, and Hamilton as 3 wildcards with the other a little more tricky.
    Barney will be selected simply because he's Dutch and he is still a crowd favourite. Hamilton must be selected after reaching the world final, however he is a fairly boring player which could harshly count against him.

It wouldn't shock me if Nicholson got the last place, however I am hoping (and feel) that it goes to Jenkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Hamilton must be selected after reaching the world final, however he is a fairly boring player which could harshly count against him.

Hamilton has done better than Webster did, when Webster got in two years ago.

Healio wrote: »
    Hamilton has done better than Webster did, when Webster got in two years ago.

The problem with Hamilton is that he will most likely have to rely on a PDC wildcard as sky will select players simply for viewing entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

The problem with Hamilton is that he will most likely have to rely on a PDC wildcard as sky will select players simply for viewing entertainment.

As they should. The sport is more than averages and double percentages.

Syferus wrote: »
    As they should. The sport is more than averages and double percentages.

Yes my own opinion is that I'd rather watch entertainment on a Thursday night rather than boring games with slow players involved. I'M sure the paying public are the same. Give me the likes of Van Gerwen, Van der Voort anyday over their slower counterparts.

Saying this it is unfair to alienate the slower players they have as much right to be on that stage if they are playing good darts and this is where the PDC wildcards will come in I'm sure.

Premier league is all about entertainment - cash doesn't effect rankings - so it's all entertainment and putting bums on seats - so big names get preference, it's a show, not a tournament

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Regardless, Andy Hamilton deserves to be there. The players like Lewis also agree.

Barney is off form, it really should be Van Gerwen if a Dutch guy is a must.

Hamilton
    Whitlock

Should be the PDC picks

Then it gets tougher

Nicholson
    Van Gerwen
    Webster
    Barney

I believe there is one very wild card pick that Sky may take that would not surprise me.

Huybrechts.

In a way I hope they don't, because teh sillyness over his girlfriend was proving too much. Plenty of other Dart Wags just as good and we wondt need to see them after every leg or have them interviewed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

taylor, anderson, wade, lewis. - hopefully webster, MVG, jenkins, whitlock.

i think barney will get his place despite being off form, also hamilton may well get his place as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭theroversreturn

hamilton hasnt a hope either does webster or van gerwen. Whitlock will get in alright and jenkins has a good chance now as well. i hope chizzy gets in hed be much better than nicholson. barney will get in as well.

Well it should be announced shortly, I'm a big Barney fan but I'll be sick if he gets in. He's not a pro, he doesn't do the pro tour, he's living off his seeding in most tournaments but that is sliding big time now! Much rather see Van der Voort or VanGerwan in the Dutch contingent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think there is only one position up for grabs tbh. I think Taylor, Lewis, Anderson, Wade, Hamilton, Whitlock and unfortunately Barney are locks. The last place to either Nicholson, Jenkins or debuting BDO player.

Jenkins is back to his old form, I rather see him in there than Nicholson (who I like but don't think he's ready - league could destroy him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Rumours rife on UK darts forums that the Premier League line up will be announced tonight at 7 30pm! Some posters claiming all 8 players will be named tonight with no BDO players been involved with others claiming 7 players will be named tonight and a further 1 to be picked after Lakeside?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Best Double On The Board ???

Kevin Painter Simon Whitlock Raymond van Barneveld and Andy Hamilton make Premier league along with top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Premier League...Announced Players...Taylor..Anderson..Wade..Lewis..Hamilton..Painter..barney..whitlock

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Spiderpig92

No John Part??? Wata Joke!

Can understand Newton not getting a place after the way he acted against Pipe, but Barney's inclusion at the expense of Webster/Jenkins is ridiculous - how many more times are we going to have to watch a once great player just show up for easy money and destroy his legacy - on the upside betting against him next year will probably net you a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Best Double On The Board ???

No John Part??? Wata Joke!

Who would you leave out for PART ???

Painter ??? ..... the only player outside the top 4 to win a Major Tournament
    Hamilton ??? .....runner up in The World Championship throwing some of the most consistent darts of the tournament

They were the PDC picks .... SKY picks were

Whitlock ??? .... another good run inThe World Championship and a player that can score heavy and finish well
    Barney ??? .... for darts reasons should be the one to be left out but SKY probably didn't pick him for his darts but for the large fan base the follows him

Great to see Kevin Painter selected, delighted for him.

Can see Hamilton struggling, however it should be overall a good PL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Kevin Painter deserves his place in the line up,delighted for him. Also Hamilton deserves his place. Barney is the only pick I'd disagree with. He had a very poor 2011 and didn't do enough to warrant a place in the line up. If they were keen on Including a Dutch player I'd have preferred to see Van Gerwen getting a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

The only reason Barney got in is because he sells tickets. Personally I wouldn’t have him near it too much of a sulk and most of the time he looks uninterested. Handy money for him though.
    Feel sorry for Wes Newton & Mark Webster how are ahead of Barney in the order of merit and never made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Barney my hole, John Part should be in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭briany

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Barney my hole, John Part should be in there!

As much of a Part fan as I am, I don't think he should be in there. He's another player who's wildly inconsistent. His performances in the PL have not been very good and he may not be mad for traveling to and from Canada week in week out.

Barneveld does not warrant a place in the PL at all. I'm at a loss as to how he's still a big draw because he is sullen, apathetic and playing like he doesn't want to be there. I expect the cries of "Barney army" to fade in 2012 along with whatever expectations there are on Barneveld unless he somehow can find it in himself to regain form which I doubt. Expecting a bottom two finish there for sure. His place should've gone to Stompé or Van Gerwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

delighted for hamilton and what a rise for painter the last 2 months..

i dont think anybody could disagree over barney not derserving it, what a joke
    have they ever named this so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Wonder will this announcement have any effect on the BDO championships. I know it shouldn't be an issue but would a Premier League spot have been a great incentive for the likes of Hankey,Waites to want it more and play that bit better in the BDO just to make the PDC switch. The Barney decision is a money decision by Sky and definitely not a a darts one. After all they do run the show now so unfortunately we will have to suck it up while Barney sulks on the stage for a few months

• Advertisement

Well the PDC facebook thread that announced the line-up pretty much universally slammed the Barney spot too - sad but true to see him fall so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Handy 100,000 grand in Barney's back pocket for doing f**k all. They should have given some of the other dutch players a chance, VDV because the crowds love him or MVG though a pr!ck his ability would add to the premier league.
    Barney will probably quit after the half way stage

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

Cant beleive Barney got a wildcard pick, he has done nothing all year but shake his head...sick of him, I wont be cheering for Barney in the O2 Dublin and can see him finishing bottom or there abouts in that group.

Paul Nicholson should have got it, he has the attitude and had a pretty good year. I love the way he's been trying to stir it up with Taylor, fantastic stuff.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Cant beleive Barney got a wildcard pick, he has done nothing all year but shake his head...sick of him, I wont be cheering for Barney in the O2 Dublin and can see him finishing bottom or there abouts in that group.

Paul Nicholson should have got it, he has the attitude and had a pretty good year. I love the way he's been trying to stir it up with Taylor, fantastic stuff.

Nicholson is a clown simple as there is no way he deserves his place he just stirs sh*t, would've loved VDV too remember loving him in the WC 2011 and his walk on! His win over Whitlock was special in that tournament- he throws damn good darts when on form.

Nicholson is a clown simple as there is no way he deserves his place he just stirs sh*t, would've loved VDV too remember loving him in the WC 2011 and his walk on! His win over Whitlock was special in that tournament- he throws damn good darts when on form.

Nicholson needs a few tips from Bristow ,Manley and Hankey on how to really affect an unlikable persona at the oche. Nicholson still has the aura of an upstart trying to push a contrived image which people don't really buy into but they'll still boo him 'til he goes to pieces just for the hell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Ok so Barney is a little lucky to get in, but jesus lads, He hasn't fallen that far! He is 9th in the Order of Merit ffs. He will still draw huge crowds and is most definitely still capable of magic. You'd think he had drifted out of the top 32 or something. On form he is still a top 10 player, so on status and crowd drawing, he's certainly a top 8 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Best Double On The Board, John Part is an absolute legend and hero and deserves a place moreso than barney

Best Double On The Board, John Part is an absolute legend and hero and deserves a place moreso than barney

I'm a fan of Part but he's not a prem league player, when he participated in 2008 (just after winning the WC) he was very poor- all the travelling over seemed to take its toll. He's sadly not entertaining enough for it either. He's not the type of player fans would go especially to see, unlike Barney unfortunately (Though I wouldn't have Barney in it either). Would have gone with T.Jenkins

minty16 wrote: »
    Ok so Barney is a little lucky to get in, but jesus lads, He hasn't fallen that far! He is 9th in the Order of Merit ffs. He will still draw huge crowds and is most definitely still capable of magic. You'd think he had drifted out of the top 32 or something. On form he is still a top 10 player, so on status and crowd drawing, he's certainly a top 8 player.

Barney is not a top 8 player on current form. The reason that he is as high as he is is that he was consistently in the top 3/4 since he won in 2007, and has only fallen really in the last year meaning that he still holds a high place based on prize money.. On current form he isn't top 15 in my view.

I just find the Premier League so booooooooooooooring. The same way that the group stages of the CL in football just go on forever and noone on these islands really cares whether Basle beat AEK Athens.

I just find the Premier League so booooooooooooooring. The same way that the group stages of the CL in football just go on forever and noone on these islands really cares whether Basle beat AEK Athens.

I agree that it'd be better and more interesting to follow on tv should it be each player plays each other just once meaning 7 weeks of action prior to the semis/final.

However the pdc are only interested in selling out arenas across the Uk and Ireland, and if they can do this for 14+ weeks there is no way they are going to change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree, I always lose interest in the Premier League seeing the same people playing every week. There is also the added fact that if you lose you are still in the competition so players don't try as hard as they would in straight knockout. I've starting playing football on Thursday nights and I'm honestly not that bothered that I am going to be missing the majority of the games.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree, I always lose interest in the Premier League seeing the same people playing every week. There is also the added fact that if you lose you are still in the competition so players don't try as hard as they would in straight knockout. I've starting playing football on Thursday nights and I'm honestly not that bothered that I am going to be missing the majority of the games.

Yeah, there's not much finality in the premier league. Knock out is exciting because of what's at stake and ,additionally, the set number of legs in games means that you can have one sided games which mean very little once the leg quota has been reached by the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tcite

There are quite a few weeks where it's top notch. I don't find there to be too many bad nights.

Definitely agree with Nicholson not getting a place. No way any player outside the top 16 justifies a place, and so that goes for John Part as well. Nicholson needs to wind his neck in, and fast. His popularity is being severely tested with his childish antics.

His attempts at a rivalry with Taylor are pathetic, he's lost to him every single time since, you're talking eight or nine at least. Should have kept his mouth shut. He's paid for it IMO. Whinging off when you are thrashed isn't gonna make you anymore popular.
    Let him earn a Premier League place.

Barney doesn't justify it at present but he did do quite well in it last year. Hopefully we won't have a scenario like 2012 where he was completely cut adrift though.

I said at the time and it's starting to come to fruition but having four wildcards as opposed to two in the long term isn't gonna be of anyone's benefit. Newton has earned a spot by being top six, irregardless of personality or petulance.

The idea of including wild card players is to guarantee that there will be more players in there who can pull a crowd. It's why Barney's there, supposedly, although I cannot see how he's still so popular. You could have the top eight on order of merit and no wildcards but what you might gain in darts quality, you might lose in personality so I support the wildcards' inclusion but a 50/50 split is enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement