Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with unwanted terrapin?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

There's a terrapin living in our house here that was bought as a birthday present a year or two ago and is not wanted by anyone here. No one is interested in cleaning the tank or interacting with the turtle aside from feeding it. I hear that there are cases where turtles are being released into the wild, but we don't want to go down that road. Would an aquarium take it off our hands, or what are other options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

I wonder would the same rule apply if it were a child!
    Bring it to a vet & do the decent thing!
    Put your hand in your pocket & put it out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I will pm you later the name of a rescue that take exotics such as terrapins but as I'm sure most rescues are at the moment they will be overrun. At the very least give them the tank and a donation towards it's care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Or post it on the rehoming thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Cheers for the responses. Hoping I can give it away to a good home, or the rescue centre, rather than putting the thing down. I've posted in the rehoming thread

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

''I wonder would the same rule apply if it were a child!''

Your name suits ye,where do children come into this.If you put your children on an equal status as your pets then God help them.I await the onslaught,lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I wonder would the same rule apply if it were a child!
    Bring it to a vet & do the decent thing!
    Put your hand in your pocket & put it out of its misery.

No need for comments like that--completely off topic and out of line.The OP has asked for advice on rehoming the terrapin not a lecture.

Have an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

And that was something that Santa never brought me! Ho Ho Ho......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

And that was something that Santa never brought me! Ho Ho Ho......

Just increased that infraction to a ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

transit260 wrote: »
    ''I wonder would the same rule apply if it were a child!''

Your name suits ye,where do children come into this.If you put your children on an equal status as your pets then God help them.I await the onslaught,lol.

If your offended by a post try reporting it instead of inducing an argument. 'Onslaught' granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

ah the poor creature. maybe advertise it as free to a good home and list what equipment you have to go with it. try these lads www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1393 oh, sorry you already have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

poor slider , this is why i advise against pets as presents ,.....

give the setup with it and you might have a better chance of rehomeing it ,

forget about putting it on donedeal , most people will take it , dump the terrapin and keep the setup ,

try

www.herpireland.com
    or
    www.reptile-community.com

best of luck finding it a home instead of being pts

also to add , this page on facebook might help you

http://www.facebook.com/groups/165013756895630/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Yillan wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses. Hoping I can give it away to a good home, or the rescue centre, rather than putting the thing down. I've posted in the rehoming thread
    seems like the poor creature means nothing to you, you calling it " the thing" it is a living creature, not thing,

Advertisement