Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jools Holland Hootenanny

• 31-12-2011 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

anyone ringing in the new year with Jools :cool:

well I am, here is the guest list tonight

Jools Holland will host his 19th annual special, with Cyndi Lauper performing a couple of her biggest songs along with a track from her recent album 'Memphis Blues', accompanied by legendary US electric blues harmonica player Charlie Musselwhite.

Also joining Jools are Sandie Shaw, Jessie J, Aloe Blacc, James Morrison, The Vaccines, Betty Wright, Caro Emerald, Buddy Greco, Imelda May, and Pokey Lafarge. Plus, Rico Rodriquez, Ruby Turner, the Rhythm & Blues Orchestra, and the Pipes and Drums of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards ringing in the New Year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Me. Jools is great. Love rocking in the new year with that on the TV. Hootenanny, what a word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Usually great show, but thats a sh1te line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

NIMAN wrote: »
    Usually great show, but thats a sh1te line-up.

True, except for Imelda.
    Maybe some surprises though, I will watch it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Brilliant music, great line-up apart perhaps from The Vaccines, that tool Morrison and perhaps Sandy Shaw. Some brilliant singers. Great to hear the soul and R&B stuff up there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

mathepac wrote: »
    apart perhaps from The Vaccines
    I disagree

• Advertisement

Variety is the spice of life. :) I changed my mind about Sandy Shaw - the ska / blue-beat version of 'Long Long Live Love' was the coolest ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Good show as usual, Jools show is great - its all happening over on the Television forum!!! have a look, & vote in the TV Poll if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mathepac wrote: »
    Variety is the spice of life. :) I changed my mind about Sandy Shaw - the ska / blue-beat version of 'Long Long Live Love' was the coolest ever.
    Indeed it is and if it wasn't for the Sandie Shaws of this world adding to that variety ,the world of music would be pretty dull and bland .I got a buzz out of her singing 'Always Something There To Remind Me / ' Long Live Love ' to and for an 'old bird ' she's aged very well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yes big band music like Jools Holland is hard to dislike no mateer who is singing

Latchy wrote: »
    ... and for an 'old bird ' she's aged very well :)
    Yeah seems a long since she sang Cool Philter songs on Eurovision etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Auvers wrote: »
    yes big band music like Jools Holland is hard to dislike no mateer who is singing

Totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I caught parts of it through the night. Jessie J impressed me the most. I had dismissed her as another uninteresting R&B/Hip Hop singer but, hands up, her stage presence and voice were outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Saw bits of it. Impressed with The Vaccines. Far better performance from the singer than their last Jools appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I enjoyed the show last night. Imelda May and Aloe Blacc stole the show for me. The Vaccines were a waste of time, they stuck out like a sore thumb and their brand of safe, middle-of-the-road pop-rock was fooling no one. I didn't know what to make of Cyndi Lauper, her plastic surgery is plain obvious and she seemed a little drunk. I though she was never going to end 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Absolutely hum dinger of a show last night. Enjoyed Soul 2 Soul and The Beat and thought McCrae, Feliciano and Jessie Ware were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I thought it was a great show last night. There are always a few surprises with his lineup. Two of the biggest surprises this year was Trombone Shorty (and Orleans Avenue| and Ed Sheeran's version of Layla with a lot of help from Jools' Orchestra! Overall, it was a very entertaining show. Even George McCrea managed to get the crowd going with his mid-tempo disco smash hit from 1974 - Rock Your Baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

It needs freshening up at this stage.

Format been the same for too long.

The same guests in audience , saying the same things every year.

The orchestral arrangements can sound a bit samey and lumpy too. I prefer the bands when they play unaided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It didn't pull me in as much as other years. I can't pin point any particular act, but the whole thing didn't do it for me.
    I found myself flicking over to Chic on a regular basis.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I found it a bit of a con a few years ago, like its all staged. It's recorded a couple of weeks before nye, that's how he gets all the big names on the show on the one night. Would much prefer if it was live. Haven't given it air time in about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Malice wrote: »
    I caught parts of it through the night. Jessie J impressed me the most. I had dismissed her as another uninteresting R&B/Hip Hop singer but, hands up, her stage presence and voice were outstanding.

Have a look at the Jessie J Live Lounge session - Girl has some serious talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

I thought it was a great show last night. There are always a few surprises with his lineup. Two of the biggest surprises this year was Trombone Shorty (and Orleans Avenue| and Ed Sheeran's version of Layla with a lot of help from Jools' Orchestra! Overall, it was a very entertaining show. Even George McCrea managed to get the crowd going with his mid-tempo disco smash hit from 1974 - Rock Your Baby!
    Sheerans version was awful

Advertisement