Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to kick nVidia up the arse. (Optimus rant)

Options
  • 01-01-2012 12:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I used to be an nVidia fanboy up until very recently. Now I have a new laptop, and d'oh, its 'features' Optimus technology. I have 3GB of 555M in the machine but every game insists on running off my i7 processors. This is especially annoying when it comes to Steam games. What are peoples workarounds on this? Is there 3rd party software that lets me choose? I hear there is...:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Some laptops have the option of turning optimus off in the Bios (keep pressing F2 or F8 on startup), try that.....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Sounds scary, I'll google a guide.

What do I lose by turning off Optimus altogether with that option? I use my laptop for stuff like photoshop and 3D programs too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I read your OP wrong, what you want is a way to turn off the Integrated graphics but as of yet their doesn't seem to be a way.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201764&st=0

It took open source projects to get optimus to work with Linux even!

There definitely is an unofficial tool for turning on forced card usage per title... used it for Shogun on my old PC but can be damned if I remember the name of it now... anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Andy!! wrote: »
    I used to be an nVidia fanboy up until very recently. Now I have a new laptop, and d'oh, its 'features' Optimus technology. I have 3GB of 555M in the machine but every game insists on running off my i7 processors. This is especially annoying when it comes to Steam games. What are peoples workarounds on this? Is there 3rd party software that lets me choose? I hear there is...:pac:

You have the same laptop as I do I think(XPS?), right click on the game you want to play and chose run with nvidia(there will be nvidia and intel), for steam games launch steam.exe the same way, or you can set exe's manually in the nvidia control panel

• Advertisement

Tried launching steam itself using that approach (Ive been trying to use it with other games) and no go :( Sonic Generations and GTA Episodes still insisting on running off the i7s :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

this is all the info i can find to deal with that problem...

on some of them systems you can hold down fn and press f7 or f8 at the same time to sort it not sure but it's defo fn and f7/f8.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Andy!! wrote: »
    Tried launching steam itself using that approach (Ive been trying to use it with other games) and no go :( Sonic Generations and GTA Episodes still insisting on running off the i7s :(

launch it that way from the steamapps/common/%game% folder

launch it that way from the steamapps/common/%game% folder

Yep, been trying that way, refuses flat out. I'll try that Fn/F7or 8 thing.

Advertisement