Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

code of conduct suspension

• 01-01-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

turned the xbox 2 weeks ago and had this come up on my profile for no reason on my part..it says my suspension is over on the 31/12/9999,,,is this a permanet ban do any one know,,tried to log onto live today but wouldnt let me on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

What is the gamertag? There normally is a sound explanation for account bans especially permabans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

turned the xbox 2 weeks ago and had this come up on my profile for no reason on my part..it says my suspension is over on the 31/12/9999,,,is this a permanet ban do any one know,,tried to log onto live today but wouldnt let me on

Unless you happen to live until 1/1/10000 it's most definitely a permanent ban. Your gamertag has been banned, but not your console. You are free to sign up using another email address/gamertag and subscribe again.

You'll have a hard time getting answers about why your account was banned, but you can try the Xbox Live support forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Code of Conduct could be anything from your Gamer Tag, your Bio content, to something you did/said to someone online as far as I know. Based on reading other peoples experiences with being banned online, even if you're innocent you'll have a hard time getting anything done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

well my gamer tag was j smokey89 so i can see the problem there,but i had nothing written in my bio,and i dont chat to anyone online either,,this is fooked up as i have a lot of dlc and market place stuff purchased 6 months live left to go and 2100 xbox points to boot aswell,,is there any hope in ringing them up about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

What a strange colour your skin is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Gamerscore was reset due to cheating

Ouch!

suppose i shud say a dumb mate did that to my profile one night thinking it was clever but now and however its bn 12 months since that was done with no dramas and then xbox do this to me ,if that was the case they shud have banned me then .why wait till now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Doesnt matter when they ban you for something like that...theres no way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

suppose i shud say a dumb mate did that to my profile one night thinking it was clever but now and however its bn 12 months since that was done with no dramas and then xbox do this to me ,if that was the case they shud have banned me then .why wait till now ?

Well, you broke the conditions of your xbox live membership, therefore you got banned. Are you really trying to give out that they didn't ban you early enough???

I seriously doubt your "friend" modded your profile without your knowledge, so accept responsibility for your actions and learn from them. Bet it seems kinda silly to have lost all your membership, achievements, multiplayer progress and gamerscore for the sake of changing your avatars skin colour now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Turns out that this honeybadger does give a shiiiiiiit!!!

Delighted for you, your stupid error has just reminded me to report a little cheating **** that tried to steal our clan name and clan videos

Ahh man I love threads like these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I love these threads myself :)

"But, but i didnt do anything....."

Why is your avatar orange then....

Meesared wrote: »

Mystery solved so, when will people learn? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

its bn 12 months since that was done with no dramas and then xbox do this to me ,if that was the case they shud have banned me then .why wait till now ?
    Arawn wrote: »
    Delighted for you, your stupid error has just reminded me to report a little cheating **** that tried to steal our clan name and clan videos

That is why, it is not an automatic feature on live to ban consoles of cheaters. Your tag was either reported by someone you played with or one of the live enforcement team saw you at some point and banned you.

Well, you broke the conditions of your xbox live membership, therefore you got banned. Are you really trying to give out that they didn't ban you early enough???

I seriously doubt your "friend" modded your profile without your knowledge, so accept responsibility for your actions and learn from them. Bet it seems kinda silly to have lost all your membership, achievements, multiplayer progress and gamerscore for the sake of changing your avatars skin colour now :p

i kinda liked the orange red skin colour as it was different to everyone else ;) but i am sayin xbox shud have terminated my accounr there and then if thats the case with there code of conduct ban,,,not a year later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

i kinda liked the orange red skin colour as it was different to everyone else ;) but i am sayin xbox shud have terminated my accounr there and then if thats the case with there code of conduct ban,,,not a year later

Well it's probably not something that they keep a log of, or that they actively search for on Live to ban. They have better things to be doing with their time than checking every single person to make sure their avatar hasn't had a very bad run-in with a sunbed. Until someone reports you and a member of the XBLPET sees it, yes you'll get away scot-free for a little while.

It is different, my avatar can go online, so can everyone else on this forum :)

Its a bit pricky by xbox lets be honest. He is not cheating, he is not copying games. He is changing his skin colour. A warning at least.

Ding ding ding we have a winner, congratulations you just used the exact same sentence everyone uses when it"just the colour of his skin"

it's against the terms of use. end of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I think the thought process behind the ban is, if you did a mod like that ,what other ****e have you done that they didn't catch you for. Seen others get banned for less , but usually if they have done one thing like that they also had 10th prestige glitches on cod as well

Its a bit pricky by xbox lets be honest. He is not cheating, he is not copying games. He is changing his skin colour. A warning at least.
    There was modified achievements too
    thats cheating in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Arawn wrote: »
    Ding ding ding we have a winner, congratulations you just used the exact same sentence everyone uses when it"just the colour of his skin"

it's against the terms of use. end of

It may technically be against some terms and conditions, but who actually reads them when you create an account online?

The process as I understand it involves pugging a USB drive with your profile on it into a PC and running a bit of software that can change the avatar's skin colour and then putting the profile back on the Xbox. None of this involves modifying the xbox in any way - and if MS don't want avatars with red skin on Xbox like - why does the xbox upload the profile to xbox live - it would be trivial to check for skin colours not on an approved list and just reset them - but no, let's ban the user (normally a kid) and confiscate all the accounts virtual goods.

This is an area where MS (and many other companies) need to cop on fast - we need European legislation in this area - and "banning" has now become a lucrative business for many companies - In MS's case the "customer" loses MSP, the rest of the year's Gold sub and potential access to hundreds of euros worth of XBLA & DLC.

The "confiscation" of items like MS points is disgusting - if your bank had some petty T&Cs about not altering your debit card, and they found you'd drawn a smiley face on it could they then "ban" you as a customer and keep all the money in your current account?

If they did people would scream blue murder.

Even more so if there were children involved

Yes MS should be allowed ban undesirables from their network - fair enough - but they should have to refund existing subscriptions/points/games etc. The current situation is extremely unjust, unfair on the consumer and open to abuse.

Just because you don't read them doesn't make them irrelevant.
    Just because something is easy to do doesnt mean you are entitled to do it. The thing is the same tools used to modify your avatar are also used to modify save games and achievements.

You agree to the Code of Conduct when signing up, you break the rules MS can do with you what they see fit.

You break the rules you deal with the consequences, don't like the Code of Conduct? dont sign up to Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I don't think banning is a profitable business model. There is almost no variable cost to online services and DLC on an individual customer basis. Whether the OP purchases a 12 month gold membership and never uses it or uses it 24hrs a day 365 days a year, it will not increase Microsofts costs. The overheads have to provide for regardless of whether the service is actually availed of by any one individual user. So there are no savings to be made by Microsoft not having to fulfil their full obligation.

However the banning of accounts prevents the account holder from spending money on points/membership extensions and so is is actually potential lost revenue. There is a possibility the account holder may set up a new account but that is far from guaranteed and they're just as likely to get pissed off a never purchase again.

sink wrote: »
    I don't think banning is a profitable business model. There is almost no variable cost to online services and DLC on an individual customer basis. Whether the OP purchases a 12 month gold membership and never uses it or uses it 24hrs a day 365 days a year, it will not increase Microsofts costs. The overheads have to provide for regardless of whether the service is actually availed of by any one individual user. So there are no savings to be made by Microsoft not having to fulfil their full obligation.

However the banning of accounts prevents the account holder from spending money on points/membership extensions and so is is actually potential lost revenue. There is a possibility the account holder may set up a new account but that is far from guaranteed and they're just as likely to get pissed off a never purchase again.

Banning someone's gold account does not stop someone using a free silver account and buying anything from MS - the person does not have to repurchase gold again. Yes the person may be annoyed and may sell his xbox and games and buy a PS3 - but given the investment in the console/games it's unlikely.

It still leaves someone with no access to thousands of MSPs (pure profit for MS) - a cancelled sub (one user less but most likely the person will buy it again) and potentially (unless they have the original console) loss of access to legitimately purchased XBLA titles and DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

pH wrote: »
    It may technically be against some terms and conditions, but who actually reads them when you create an account online?

The process as I understand it involves pugging a USB drive with your profile on it into a PC and running a bit of software that can change the avatar's skin colour and then putting the profile back on the Xbox. None of this involves modifying the xbox in any way - and if MS don't want avatars with red skin on Xbox like - why does the xbox upload the profile to xbox live - it would be trivial to check for skin colours not on an approved list and just reset them - but no, let's ban the user (normally a kid) and confiscate all the accounts virtual goods.

This is an area where MS (and many other companies) need to cop on fast - we need European legislation in this area - and "banning" has now become a lucrative business for many companies - In MS's case the "customer" loses MSP, the rest of the year's Gold sub and potential access to hundreds of euros worth of XBLA & DLC.

The "confiscation" of items like MS points is disgusting - if your bank had some petty T&Cs about not altering your debit card, and they found you'd drawn a smiley face on it could they then "ban" you as a customer and keep all the money in your current account?

If they did people would scream blue murder.

Even more so if there were children involved

Yes MS should be allowed ban undesirables from their network - fair enough - but they should have to refund existing subscriptions/points/games etc. The current situation is extremely unjust, unfair on the consumer and open to abuse.

Actually, I couldn't disagree with you more!

I've said this numerous times on this forum before and at the risk of boring the regular posters to tears, I'll make my point again:

XBL is a paid service to which paying members expect the service to be policed. It doesn't matter whether someone changes their avatar colour or hacks a lobby, the result is the same. They are blatantly breaking the rules of the service that everyone else is paying good money for!

I would be perfectly happy with MS to adopt a zero tolerance against any and all infringements against the service by banning both gamertags and consoles. You may think that this is a bit severe as the punishment should fit the crime. In this case, I genuinely don't think so. XBL's paid service is there to provide a safe gaming environment, a secure gaming environment and a level playing field for everyone.

So, in my view, anyone trying to jeopardise or undermine this service in any way needs to be removed.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to see the bigger picture. You assume MS wants to ban users so they can force people to go out and buy another console or gamertag. That's just ridiculous... seriously... ridiculous! Do you really think MS want to spend millions per year policing the system... no, of course they don't but they also know if they don't, that people (like the OP) will do everything they can to undermine and subvert the high quality service that XBL provide. So, in order for them to continue providing a high quality service to it's "paying" members, they have to spend shed loads of money to remove the undesirable element that wants to ruin it for everyone.

As for the policy for refunding money/points etc. I've thought long and hard about this one... at first, I thought maybe refunding someone the balance of what's left on their membership and points that are left might be the decent thing to do. Then I thought about it from MS's point of view and then how those people are effecting my membership... my opinion then changed.

- It's costs MS time and money to police the system. For each ban, how may man hours, R&D and monitoring needs to be paid for?
    - Who ends up paying for this? Me, ultimately! So why should my hard earned cash be used to pay for someone else's tampering of the service.
    - Therefore, I am completely OK with MS retaining any and all cash that was paid by these cheaters/hackers/tamperers.

So, in a nutshell:

If you enjoy the service provided by XBL and you pay for that service and someone else messes with it. Ultimately, they are driving the cost of that service up for you. Why would any rational thinking person then try and defend those persons actions?

Think about this, currently XBL gold membership is officially around €60 (yeah we all know it can be got cheaper). I don't know the exact figure but what if you found out €40 of that €60 went on dealing with people tampering with their profiles, hacking, modding and generally breaking the terms of use. How do you feel about paying for someone else being a prat?

If I understand what happened here correctly, the users profile got banned, not his Xbox? Licenses for any DLC/games etc he downloaded are saved to his Xbox, if he wants to play these games on a new profile he can can't he? granted his Sub and points are gone in Microsoft's favour but all his purchased items should still be there.

If the OP didn't put the modified skin of his avatar in a gamer pic he'd probably never have gotten caught, I personally don't care what colour people's avatars are, but by association people with pimped avatars usually always have modded saves and achievements so I have no sympathy when they get caught as every leader board and multiplayer game they ruined inconvenienced hundreds/thousands of genuine paying gamers.

If I understand what happened here correctly, the users profile got banned, not his Xbox? Licenses for any DLC/games etc he downloaded are saved to his Xbox, if he wants to play these games on a new profile he can can't he? granted his Sub and points are gone in Microsoft's favour but all his purchased items should still be there.

If he's only ever had one xbox and he bought all the items on it- then yes the d/l stuff will still work for *any* gamertag on that xbox - however if you've changed xboxs and then the games only work with the g/t that actually bought them - so a GT ban in effect wipes out your game collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

pH wrote: »
    If he's only ever had one xbox and he bought all the items on it- then yes the d/l stuff will still work for *any* gamertag on that xbox - however if you've changed xboxs and then the games only work with the g/t that actually bought them - so a GT ban in effect wipes out your game collection.

he modded his profile he got caught and banned why does deserve a refund?name me 1 company that will refund people that got caught modding or cheating their system.

Advertisement