Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dachshund

• 01-01-2012 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Does anyone know where I could get a short/smooth haired male dachshund puppy?

My Dad's 11 year old dog died 3 months ago, he's heart broken. He says he's lost his best friend. His 70th birthday is coming up and we want to get him a pup. He has had a miniature dachshund before, so he's familiar with the breed.
    His birthday is the 1st week in Feb.

I have looked on the usual websites but not sure how to tell if sellers are genuine.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Celtp wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know where I could get a short/smooth haired male dachshund puppy?

My Dad's 11 year old dog died 3 months ago, he's heart broken. He says he's lost his best friend. His 70th birthday is coming up and we want to get him a pup. He has had a miniature dachshund before, so he's familiar with the breed.
    His birthday is the 1st week in Feb.

I have looked on the usual websites but not sure how to tell if sellers are genuine.

Thanks in advance :)

Best bet would be to get on to the Dachsund club of Ireland they have a website and are also advertising breeders which have pups available for sale.

http://www.irishdachshundclub.ie/puppysales.html

Best of luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only get him a pup if he's still sprightly enough to look after and walk a young energetic pooch, an alternative would be to contact genuine breeders and see if they have any older dogs because sometimes breeders have older pups or dogs looking for homes or are willing to sell to the right home.

Do check out rescues as well one of my first transports was from a pound to a rescue she was a little daxie, she was so sweet.

Oh just thought I think dog training ireland used to take in the occasional rescue daxie looking for a home not sure if they still do but might be worth contacting them to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Not a good idea to surprise him though - a pup may be a shock after years of an old friend. Might be a good idea to ask him first, he might want to pick his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Celtp

Thanks for all the replies. Dad is fairly fit, he plays golf 3-4 times a week. We did talk to Dad. Initially he said he couldn't go through the loss again, but then he took a look at some pups online. He fell for a lovely little miniature Dachshund. We'll be picking it up on his birthday. Dad's already gotten a new lease of life just talking about the pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

thats great. fair play op. I hope your dad and new pup are going to be very happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement