Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Compatability Advice

Options
  • 01-01-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Howya's. I'm interested in getting into PC gaming and upgrading my graphics card - nothing too crazy, if I could play something like Red Orchestra 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R on some level I'd be happy, forget high-end BF3 or Crysis.

I've had the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT recommended to me previously and it's certainly within my price range, but could someone tell me if it'd be compatible with my system? And whether I'd need any other upgrades too, I know next to nothing about all this! Thanks in advance!

Here's my specs;

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz
    CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
    CPU Cores: 2
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION Evans 1.02
    TDP (Power): 65W
    Graphics: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset
    RAM: 4.5GB
    System Type: 64-bit OS
    HD: 917GB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Power supply.....?

This a custom build or an oem off the shelf pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Off the shelf jobby. Haven't checked the power supply yet I'm afraid, keep forgetting to - and I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for ya, hahah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Off the shelf jobby. Haven't checked the power supply yet I'm afraid, keep forgetting to - and I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier for ya, hahah.

Power supply is a big issue: the less watts you have to play with, the less powerful gfx card you can get.....

So if you can post up the specs listed on the side of the psu, you will get proper advice and less tears all round.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Power supply is a big issue: the less watts you have to play with, the less powerful gfx card you can get.....

So if you can post up the specs listed on the side of the psu, you will get proper advice and less tears all round.

Rightyo then, I'll get on that in the morning. Cheers!

Okey-dokey, finally remembered to get around to finding out what the power is - turns out I have 300W, which sounds a little poor to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

as long as you got pcie slot, i would not bother to go any higher then 6670. CPU is a real bottleneck there.

Advertisement