Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been refused the dole on Return

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I do sympathise with you odds_on, it doesn't seem right. When I think of the money squandered on Asylum seekers and other spides it makes my blood boil when I hear stories like that. We should be looking after our own first and foremost.
    I think youll find we are looking after those who have contributed the last 2+ years PRSI first, e.g. those people who have worked at getting Ireland back on its feet by paying tax there.

How absurd is an immigrant to Australia complaining about other immigrants to the country left he behind. Do you have to agree to become a xenophobe for PR in Oz or something?

Its simple enough, if you want to qualify for social welfare in Ireland then dont piss off and work and pay tax in another country. That puts you in the same bracket as the other people youve alluded to twice in this thread - an entitled scrounger, who contributes nothing and expects everything in return. Plenty of us travel full well knowing that we wont be eligible for SW either in our destination country or in our own when we return.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

csm wrote: »
    She is entitled to some Medicare benefits, but does not have to enrol to claim them because Irish citizens can claim Medicare benefits at the point of service by producing their passports. All of this is clearly laid out on the Medicare website.

So no, it was not a pointless post, as it was clarifying that Irish citizens do, in fact, have medicare rights.

What citizens from the republic have are free emergency treatment. This isn't "some medicare benefits". It's nothign to do with medicare apart from the displayed on their website.

My (Irish) girldfriend gets medicare benefits. I don't. It sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

CiaranC wrote: »
    I think youll find we are looking after those who have contributed the last 2+ years PRSI first, e.g. those people who have worked at getting Ireland back on its feet by paying tax there.

How absurd is an immigrant to Australia complaining about other immigrants to the country left he behind. Do you have to agree to become a xenophobe for PR in Oz or something?

Its simple enough, if you want to qualify for social welfare in Ireland then dont piss off and work and pay tax in another country. That puts you in the same bracket as the other people youve alluded to twice in this thread - an entitled scrounger, who contributes nothing and expects everything in return. Plenty of us travel full well knowing that we wont be eligible for SW either in our destination country or in our own when we return.

I worked and paid tax to Ireland when I lived in Dublin and claimed nothing.
    I worked paid tax to the UK when I lived in Armagh and England and claimed nothing.
    I worked and Paid tax in Australia and claimed nothing.

(a lot of € £ $$ in tax ......not softc0ck diddly amounts)

I have never been on the dole in my life, I have only been in casualty twice in my life.

I am not a scrounger in any way or form.

And if I am Xenophobe or racist or whatever because I see the senseless squander of those tax €€ on Irish governments spineless policies then I so be it I am gladly a Xenophobe. Rather that than a spineless begrudger who gladly put his hand out for the dole and ridicule me for making a life choice to go and successfully make a go of it.

If I wanted to return to Ireland to die I should be entitled to it, I already paid my way in advance.

So you think non-Irish should get nothing from the state, regardless of the fact that they have contributed to the state for the requisite time and paid the required level of social insurance, while you should automatically be "entitled" even though you currently contribute nothing, nor have you for several years.

And you say paying the former is "senseless squander", lol. The state needs to move to a position where it stops giving away money for nothing to people with a warped sense of entitlement.

I think youve been out in the sun too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

When I think of the money squandered on Asylum seekers
    They get €19 a week. Look a bit closer to home for wasteful spending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Actually, I am in Argentina and on a tourist visa. I wasn't entitled to social health care here but I got it. And it wasn't cheap. The initial medication was approx €10.000 followed by chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant which was another 15k+.

Would they do that in Ireland for a foreigner? What country would?

And Argentina was bankrupt less than 10 years ago.

So you think non-Irish should get nothing from the state, regardless of the fact that they have contributed to the state for the requisite time and paid the required level of social insurance, while you should automatically be "entitled" even though you currently contribute nothing, nor have you for several years.

And you say paying the former is "senseless squander", lol. The state needs to move to a position where it stops giving away money for nothing to people with a warped sense of entitlement.

I think youve been out in the sun too long.

Maybe you are right.

In that case maybe I should tear up my Irish passport, Ireland is not the same country I grew up in. With such glowing examples of humanity such as yourself maybe I don't deserve to return there.

Mellor wrote: »
    What citizens from the republic have are free emergency treatment. This isn't "some medicare benefits". It's nothign to do with medicare apart from the displayed on their website.

My (Irish) girldfriend gets medicare benefits. I don't. It sucks balls.

That's right you either are entitled to Medicare or your not, there is no 1/2 way or grey area.

#15 wrote: »
    They get €19 a week. Look a bit closer to home for wasteful spending.

That's €500 a year needlessly spent on someone who doesn't need to be anywhere near Ireland.

That €500 could pay for some pensioners heating bill, maybe someone's Grandmother or Grandfather.

Yeah we should look closer to home and fix those problems but fix the simple ones first.

That's €500 a year needlessly spent on someone who doesn't need to be anywhere near Ireland.
    How the hell do you know? Do you work for the Dept of Justice processing asylum applications?

Do us a favour and stick to Oz, you are a perfect match for that country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

You care to expand on that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

The Aussie wrote: »

That is an unfair comment. Australia is a great country & a great opportunity for many Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

How the hell do you know? Do you work for the Dept of Justice processing asylum applications?

Mod Insults will not be tolerated, please attack the post not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Its simple enough, if you want to qualify for social welfare in Ireland then dont piss off and work and pay tax in another country.

This is possibly the most ridiculous single minded comment I have ever heard.

You seem to be of the opinion that everyone left Ireland by choice, that we are all just having a great time while you are left at home to pick up the pieces. There are Irish people in Oz across and across the globe that have paid taxes in Ireland for 20+ years. The only reason they have left Ireland is because they hadn't a pot to piss in and are upto their eyes in debt.

They have had to uproot their families in their late 30s and 40s, at a time when you should be comfortable with your life and enjoying watching your kids growing up. Instead they are forced to leave everything they know and wave goodbye to their folks, friends and loved ones off into the unknown in search of work, not by choice - by NECESSITY.

And after they have paid their taxes to the Australian government a large percentage of their take home pay goes back into Irish banks to pay off the debt they left behind. All this because of our idiotic Irish government that continues to fail us.

Not only should these people be given dole or more when they eventually can return to Ireland and their loved ones, they should be given an apology by the Irish government.

Some of Ireland's best are down here working extremely to just provide for their kids, they didn't just piss off to another country they were forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Agree with the above post, as great and all as Australia is i would be home in a flash if there was a decent job with pay.

But im here to make the best for myself, to be honest it dosent look like iv left the begrudgers behind (not naming anyone in particular CiaranC, oops!)

It sounds like someone is sore for never having the bottle to even take a year out in another country or maybe you would love to go somewhere but just dont, so theres a bit of hate going on.

Coming to Oz does not automatically get you a great job and lots of friends, its hard trust me on that.

And by your logic if we go away we should get nothing, so what for people who have worked at home in the 90's and half the 2000's and came over here but had to go home? their tax dosent could so....

Feelgood wrote: »
    This is possibly the most ridiculous single minded comment I have ever heard.

You seem to be of the opinion that everyone left Ireland by choice, that we are all just having a great time while you are left at home to pick up the pieces.
    :confused:

Im in New Zealand. If I thought I was going to need to claim welfare of the Irish state, I would be there collecting the stamps to do so, not over here. Everyone knows you need two years continuous social insurance contributions to receive prompt and full benefits in Ireland, you factor that into your decision when you leave.

I have no problem with anyone leaving Ireland, I do have a problem with immigrants on here moaning about some other immigrants who go to Ireland, contribute to the country, pay tax, PRSI and the USC (like my partner and many of my hard working non Irish close friends have) while they are doing exactly the same thing here. Its pathetic and at best, xenophobic.

:confused:

Im in New Zealand. If I thought I was going to need to claim welfare of the Irish state, I would be there collecting the stamps to do so, not over here. Everyone knows you need two years continuous social insurance contributions to receive prompt and full benefits in Ireland, you factor that into your decision when you leave.

I have no problem with anyone leaving Ireland, I do have a problem with immigrants on here moaning about some other immigrants who go to Ireland, contribute to the country, pay tax, PRSI and the USC (like my partner and many of my hard working non Irish close friends have) while they are doing exactly the same thing here. Its pathetic and at best, xenophobic.

So how long you in NZ? holiday or emigrated?

Most people dont factor the 2 years in because i assume their in for the long haul to do better and going home to get the dole is not really a goal.

But something for the 1st month or 2 until you get on your feet if you have to go home would be nice.

No one is hating on emigrants but discussing their dissatisfaction with emigrants who came over and abused our poorly ran social system and now the Irish and Irish emigrants have to pick up the pieces and suffer the consequences.

Go on tell me all the Nigerian taxi drivers were paying tax and not 10 different friends on the same taxi license.
    No racism meant this is an example.

It sounds like someone is sore for never having the bottle to even take a year out in another country or maybe you would love to go somewhere but just dont, so theres a bit of hate going on.
    Ive lived and worked in five countries in the last seven years and am on my third round the world. I dont qualify for social welfare in Ireland because I havent contributed enough. Nor should I qualify.

But carry on. :)

my apologies for my assumptions that you were a keyboard warrior never having left your mothers house lol

the rest of my post still stands tho.

my apologies for my assumptions that you were a keyboard warrior never having left your mothers house lol

the rest of my post still stands tho.

In fairness every time I go back the ma has to bate me out of her spare room after about six weeks.
    No one is hating on emigrants
    I beg to differ Karl. People saying that foreigners should be entitled to nothing, regardless to whether they pay tax and PRSI is way out of line, particularly when they are an immigrant in a foreign country themselves. The hypocrisy of it.

Best of luck to all of you trying to work and create a life for yourselves abroad. Just remember you are not alone, people are doing it all over the world, including in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ah your back, still waiting for a reply here, for a bloke who throws around the racist card like confetti your the one posting xenophobic/bigoted generalisations about a whole nation, a bit out of kilter with your own abstract moral compass maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah your back, still waiting for a reply here, for a bloke who throws around the racist card like confetti your the one posting xenophobic/bigoted generalisations about a whole nation, a bit out of kilter with your own abstract moral compass maybe???
    Wait, are you saying tthere aren't racist?
    I don't think you can say that, I mean, its prejudiced against those who wish to follow a rite of racial supremacy, that's their choice. If you don't let them it's discrimination against the discriminators. Racist-ism I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I beg to differ Karl. People saying that foreigners should be entitled to nothing, regardless to whether they pay tax and PRSI is way out of line, particularly when they are an immigrant in a foreign country themselves. The hypocrisy of it.

Mod Can you point out where someone has said that?
    The only post I can see is about Asylum seekers, (who don't pay tax or PRSI), and that is not hypocrisy.
    Please reread some of the posts, I think you are missing their point (e.g. if someone works 5/7 years is entitled to nothing)
    Mod All posters: No personal insults at all - 1 yellow handed out. You have been warned

Well there are a lot of Irish people in Australia who are on 417 & 457 and are classed as foreign workers who pay tax and are entitled to nothing, sweet FA, absolute nada ... and rightfully we all have to accept that. If you lose your job or cant find work too bad..... you have to go home.

If these people on 417 & 457 were able to claim benefits then you could claim it as hypocrisy, but since they are not then there is no hypocrisy.

You have to wait until you become an Australian citizen (or PR which 95% citizen) until you are able to claim benefits, is too much to ask for the same system in Ireland?

If a non-national in Ireland wants to avail of any sort of benefits then they should become Irish citizens or Residents, otherwise what wrong with making them leave?

The way some people are getting on you would think that I suggested that Non-Irish people should be dragged out and have a burning tyre hung around their necks.

Advertisement