Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lads Shooting on your land

• 01-01-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Seen two lads wandering into our place as bold as be damned the other day just as it was getting dark.

I don't really have a problem with them, just I'd be thinking worst case scenario........

What way does the law stand as regards lads coming onto your land shooting?

What are people's views on the subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

You probably seen it before Muckit but there was a thread here a few months ago on it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75083767

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I didn't redzer. Thanks for link ;) Must read it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

This thread from the shooting forum might help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056429337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Lads Hunters can be the farmers best friend and worst enemy.
    shooters will control vermin free of charge which is of huge benefit too farmers.
    Each year I shoot 100s of pigeon and crows for tillage farmers. who otherwise would lose profit.
    I lamp rabbits and foxes for the benefit of stock and wildlife, I trap mink grey crows and magpies.
    Im secretary of my local Gun club and I take great pride in the way in which my members conduct themselves while shooting on farmers land.
    Any member found breeching rules may run the risk of his membership been withdrawn and the lose of their guns.
    We shut all gates respect all stock, crops and other property and anyone in a club is insured.
    a farmer could ring us anytime to sort out a fox at sheep or crows on a silage pit or pigeons on his crops or mink at his fowl and we will oblige, and so will most other shooters.
    yes we shoot game such as pheasants too but we also release birds and work with farmers and land owners to improve habitats in their farms. should a farmer request a pheasant or duck for the pot most shooters will do this happily.
    we have 1/4 of the parish land in sanctuary and this is policed. We only let locals join so as we know and landowners know who is hunting the land.
    its give and take really but all for the benefit of enjoying the countryside and
    its way of life. I would also like to point out that 1/2 of our members are farmers. so please take this into account when lads come shooting it could be of huge benefit to you and your farm.

WF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

shooters will control vermin free of charge which is of huge benefit too farmers.
    Each year I shoot 100s of pigeon and crows for tillage farmers. who otherwise would lose profit.
    I lamp rabbits and foxes for the benefit of stock and wildlife, I trap mink grey crows and magpies.
    Im secretary of my local Gun club and I take great pride in the way in which my members conduct themselves while shooting on farmers land.
    Any member found breeching rules may run the risk of his membership been withdrawn and the lose of their guns.
    We shut all gates respect all stock, crops and other property and anyone in a club is insured.
    a farmer could ring us anytime to sort out a fox at sheep or crows on a silage pit or pigeons on his crops or mink at his fowl and we will oblige, and so will most other shooters.
    yes we shoot game such as pheasants too but we also release birds and work with farmers and land owners to improve habitats in their farms. should a farmer request a pheasant or duck for the pot most shooters will do this happily.
    we have 1/4 of the parish land in sanctuary and this is policed. We only let locals join so as we know and landowners know who is hunting the land.
    its give and take really but all for the benefit of enjoying the countryside and
    its way of life. I would also like to point out that 1/2 of our members are farmers. so please take this into account when lads come shooting it could be of huge benefit to you and your farm.

WF
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

This thread from the shooting forum might help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056429337

Yes thanks it did help. I feel exactly the same as Whelan1. How dare anyone have the cheek to think they can trepass on other people's property without premission. It's down right rude, not to mention unlawful.

There's a right and a wrong way of doing things.

I'm not objecting to shooting or hunting. I don't care if the person is holding a gun or a stick. It's the issue of trepass and the consequences for the landowner should the trepasser hurt themselves, me or do damage to my livestock or property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

yessam wrote: »

WF
    +1
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

I agree with Muckit
    This happened to me too lately and not sure how to handle it.
    This car just pulled up outside and two lads hopped out with guns and a dog and just hopped the wall and across my fields, right in front of the house with me watching!
    I was boiling:mad: they didn't ask permission, which is the least that they should be obliged to do.
    I'm not a member of a gun club but surely they should be telling their members of the need to get permission before entering a farmers land; and if they don't get permission then they have no right to be on that land.
    I didn't want to tackle these fella's at the time because you don't want to be falling out with people, but I'm considering putting signs up;"No Shooting" and that'll be the end of it.

I disagree with wildfowler94, who says it's give and take. I'm sorry but anything I read in your post has no benefit for the farmer, that he can't do himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I totally agree Muckit. I can't stand the people who feel that because they own a gun they therefore have the God given right to enter any field they want and shoot in it. Same goes for those with the foot hounds. This is not an anti-hunting sentiment as I am a shooter and a NARGC member but I am also a land owner. My farm is my place of work and my responsibily and its also my property !! I don't get how people feel that just stroll in as they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes thanks it did help. I feel exactly the same as Whelan1. How dare anyone have the cheek to think they can trepass on other people's property without premission. It's down right rude, not to mention unlawful.

I'm not objecting to shooting or hunting. I don't care if the person is holding a gun or a stick. It's the issue of trepass and the consequences for the landowner should the trepasser hurt themselves, me or do damage to my livestock or property.
    it all comes down to the fact that some people think they have a right to go on anyones land with out permission, also the fact they have a gun and dogs makes it damn right intimidating to the land owner themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »

In no particular order I'm a landowner, shooter and farmer.

The above quote is what it all boils down to.

Manners, as in ASKING, cost nothing.

I've ran rough shooters off my few acres in the past, and narrowly missed being accidentally shot for my troubles. The moral of that story is/was, they never asked me, I'm not hard to find, so they could ***k off. Coincidentally they got ran off two other places that same day for the same craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

OP I would recommend you erect a few no trespassing/hunting signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

IrishHomer wrote: »
    some of the people who do trespass obviously cant read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

johngalway wrote: »

I've ran rough shooters off my few acres in the past, and narrowly missed being accidentally shot for my troubles. The moral of that story is/was, they never asked me, I'm not hard to find, so they could ***k off. Coincidentally they got ran off two other places that same day for the same craic.

My father and I are too. We manage to control any vermin that would be disturbing us, my dad is a member of the gun club, I just hold the license.
    Totally agree with the asking part, it would not take two minutes to ask and then a farmer would be happy (if he agreed) to allow you free use of the land for shooting.
    IrishHomer wrote: »

All our land gets advertised as no shooting in the local county paper before shooting seasons and have No Shooting signs up all year round, because, well, we feel that we can do it ourselves. One year I came across a guy walking up our field with a pheasant, I had gone to investigate after hearing a shot and seeing a car pull up just down the road from our house in one of the gateways.
    Pheasant got swiped off him and he got such a b*ll*cking off me that he has never spoken to me since.:rolleyes:

Then again.....never anger a redhead....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I had to run a few lads a few years ago of the land. Word went out that shooters weren't welcome. I simply prefer to see Pheasants and wildlife on the land than propped up on a stand.

I was out last year on the digger opening drains this time last year and watched a guy trying to sneak in to cross, he knew I saw him, I waited.

Eventually he crossed in and I let of a roar.. he fecked off into woodland and let of a shot, just to annoy me. This fella has been spotted shooting on land with no shooting signs up and is brazen out.

Same fella wouldn't hit an elephant from two yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

johngalway wrote: »

i agree john asking costs nothing. i ask myself,sometimes im told no and iv no problem with that.most of the time im told yes no problem. i will never overshoot an area and if asked to shoot vermin i do every time.manys the cold day or night iv spent doing so.in return all i ask is to shoot the odd pheasant or woodcock,i think thats reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

garyc007 wrote: »
    i agree john asking costs nothing. i ask myself,sometimes im told no and iv no problem with that.most of the time im told yes no problem. i will never overshoot an area and if asked to shoot vermin i do every time.manys the cold day or night iv spent doing so.in return all i ask is to shoot the odd pheasant or woodcock,i think thats reasonable?

(Not intending to intrude on John with answering)
    I believe I have the same thought line as John, if a person asks and it is in season, then yes, it is acceptable once the farmer/landowner agrees.

If I or my neighbouring farmers have vermin, mainly mink in this area, than we have someone in to fix it. But simply turning up on someone's land with a rifle/shotgun is purely self satisfaction and a wee bit 'cocky'
    I would never dream of going on to my neighbours land without a call to check if it was ok beforehand. All disease preventive measures and foot baths go out the window with some hunters, the majority are inexperienced and hold no rule of guidance with farmers as they have not learned it. If an agreement is spoken beforehand, than feckin' shoot all the vermin you like.

But assuming that you can, is wrong.

Edit- guidance may be the wrong word there, but it is working for me at the moment!

Advertisement