Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what is making my 2 trees brown?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

They've been going browner for the last 8 months or so.
    I am giving them plenty of water.

Any ideas?
    XBDJm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Thre're dead I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

aujopimur wrote: »
    Thre're dead I'm afraid.

Ah that's a balls.
    The brown is spreading so I was a bit worried.
    Loved those 2 fellas too, they were nice and bright :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Take em out of the pots and examine the roots..i wouldnt be surprised if you find a nest of woodlice in there.

Anyway burn the plants and throw out the soil if you want to use the pots again.

Degsy wrote: »
    Take em out of the pots and examine the roots..i wouldnt be surprised if you find a nest of woodlice in there.

Anyway burn the plants and throw out the soil if you want to use the pots again.

Thanks for the tip!

I have 1 more question if anyone can help, how can I stop this from occurring again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Eh to all who have replied before my opinion is is that the plants are root bound. They are turning brown because the pot is too small for them. if the roots are visible by brushing back the soil on the top of the pot, this is the reason. The real reason is they are not able to grow new roots and therefore they are suffering as a result.

On a re-look of the photo i can definitely say that the plant on the right is root bound as the height of it compared to the pot is noticeable.

bartlguy wrote: »
    On a re-look of the photo i can definitely say that the plant on the right is root bound as the height of it compared to the pot is noticeable.

thanks fella.
    so they could still survive, i just need to put them in a bigger pot you think?

Sure mate they would survive. Make sure and change the soil removing as much of the old and replace with new stuff. Do not water too much these days unless they are in a windy spot. Any further advice you need lemme know.

On another note it looks like if the plants are completely root bound it is going to be hard to remove the plants from the pots.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

bartlguy wrote: »
    Eh to all who have replied before my opinion is is that the plants are root bound. They are turning brown because the pot is too small for them. if the roots are visible by brushing back the soil on the top of the pot, this is the reason. The real reason is they are not able to grow new roots and therefore they are suffering as a result.

Completly agree with bartlguy. They are dying from the ground up, Leylandii should be only kept in pots for three or four years then planted into the ground.

If you plant these in the ground they will take a long time to recover and will look brown for some time indeed if they don't die. I would only plant them in the ground if you have space and can plant them out of sight somewhere and see how they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Yes, there's a disease killing off whole hedges of them in the UK. Leylandii are all clones, so they have little resistance. Some people would be happy about this, not me. It means trees are going to go brown and dead and be an eyesore for ages to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭mar48

I bought a pair those 4 or 5 years ago and I really loved them, then early last year they started going brown, couldn't figure out what was wrong with them, eventually they died. Thanks fellas, now I know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭the optimist

I have the same problem with a line of 8 conifers at the side of house almost 8 foot tall. They looked great but this year they are going brown and i am wondering what i can do i hope they are not dead. i have being feeding them around the bottom with chicken manure and watering them regularly. Any idas anyone what i can do to save them. They are not in pots they are planted in the ground and they were planted 4 years ago

Advertisement