Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show about disliking of Irish

Options
  • 01-01-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Was their a show about how the Aussie dislike the irish on tv recently I heard from a irish friend were disliked over here, I havent really found that to be the case just wondering if ye have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Well we are coming over there robbing their jobs and women :D seriously though i havent heard anything ive always got a great impression from any Aussies ive met.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I was there for a year and headed back soon now and in my experience all the Aussies I meet loved the Irish. Thought we were great workers and good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

They don't judge by your nationality, they judge by who you are as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I think your mate might be talking about this tripe

and anyone who knows ACA knows it's pure tabloid sensationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

hussey wrote: »
    I think your mate might be talking about this tripe and anyone who knows ACA knows it's pure tabloid sensationalism.

Cops say there is no problem, Mayor says there is no problem.
    Maybe there is no problem.

Have to say though, I have seen Irish teenagers acting as bad as the English in Spain on holidays.
    We are no angels, and a gap year to travel means nobody is watching you and you can go nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

That was nothing... handbags at dawn! :rolleyes:

I saw much worse one night out in an Irish bar in Joondalup a couple of months ago. It was savage... and no Irish were involved either... it was English and Australians.

I've just here just 4 months but haven't found any "dislike of the Irish". In fact any Australian opinions on the Irish that I've heard have been positive! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well as Ive said been here 3 months and never found a disliking of the Irish, Just when he said he saw a show saying that we were disliked thought id investigate, Saying that I was interviewed for a job recently in traffic and he told me I only got the job cause I dont drink or smoke and that he doesnt hire irish cause the lads turn up to work drunk and girls always texting while working, So maybe we have a bit of underlying tension around, Bit apart from that moment which the guy also said he liked the irish just had bad experiences work wise with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

lols! +1 to that..

what you have is a case of angry residents looking for a bit of publicity against the particular pub. It just happens to have a number of irish there. The fact that little buachaillí agus cailíní come over and act the maggot once they're 10,000 miles from their mammys is no secret and has been discussed here many times before. We're no angels indeed and a minority give us all a bad name. That said, i've never come up against any anti-irish attitudes in aus. Work-wise, if you can show up on time and do your job, you'll have little trouble. I've seen many Australians have a hard time doing that themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sudzs wrote: »

That was nothing... handbags at dawn! :rolleyes:

I saw much worse one night out in an Irish bar in Joondalup a couple of months ago. It was savage... and no Irish were involved either... it was English and Australians.

I've just here just 4 months but haven't found any "dislike of the Irish". In fact any Australian opinions on the Irish that I've heard have been positive! :)

That's my hood :cool:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's my hood :cool:

Someone spot themself on tv :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 woolie09

I've found the whole 'dislike of irish' in Oz to be overhyped, particularly back home in Ireland. From what i've noticed, irish as a group dont particularly stand out in Oz because they way outnumbered by immigrants from other countries, particulary asia. I think in fact they are quite happy to see Irish people coming. Often Irish people fit in too well, it would almost take an Irish person to spot another irish person alot of the time, well that is when they arent wearing o'neills and gaa uniform!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Apart from a few spoiled little Tiger Cubs acting the Maggot away from Mammy i have not heard anything negative, apart from not being able to understand half of you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

On a day like yesterday in Melbourne they were dead easy to spot, they were on fire.

At 11pm last night being outside was like being in a sauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Zambia wrote: »
    On a day like yesterday in Melbourne they were dead easy to spot, they were on fire.

No A/C or fans in my apartment ! 32 degrees at midnight last night.

Slept naked, above the duvet with blinds up, window wide open......God bless my neighbours !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

dave3004 wrote: »

No A/C or fans in my apartment ! 32 degrees at midnight last night.

Slept naked, above the duvet with blinds up, window wide open......God bless my neighbours !

Jesus mate get down to your local op shop and pick up a fan for $10 or so. I'd say your neighbours will probably pay for it after last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Only 24 in Sydney.

*blows raspberry at Melbourne*

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Sweet Jesus that was some heat! There was a few of us doing the great ocean road, and the tarmac was actually melting..nearly lost my flip flops

THONGS! You heathen.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Air con a fad n Ireland but over here u need it or your stuffed. Weather here n Melb is all over the place 40 deg on Monday n now black as day storm clouds on my way to work n the city.

Really 4 seasons in one day hear.

Sorry off the topic . Na the aussies don't hate us at all thats a load of BS by ACA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You might come up against some anti-Irish sentiment while you're here, but it's more an indication of the kind of muppet you're talking to than it is of Australia as a whole.

Hah - I live in a house with no air conditioning in the living areas (but a unit in the bedroom) and it's about 33 degrees every day here and 24 degrees every night. Weather rarely varies. Having no aircon means you acclimatise extremely quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Hah - I live in a house with no air conditioning in the living areas (but a unit in the bedroom) and it's about 33 degrees every day here and 24 degrees every night.

been there.. saying ball soup does not adequately describe the experience. luckily we moved recently, ducted air-con ftw! :D you know it's feckin hot outside when you run the cold tap for 5 minutes and still get hot water.
    Having no aircon means you acclimatise extremely quickly.
    booo! no it doesn't. I still have to resort to using an extreme anti-perspirant on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

You might come up against some anti-Irish sentiment while you're here, but it's more an indication of the kind of muppet you're talking to than it is of Australia as a whole.

Hah - I live in a house with no air conditioning in the living areas (but a unit in the bedroom) and it's about 33 degrees every day here and 24 degrees every night. Weather rarely varies. Having no aircon means you acclimatise extremely quickly.
    worst of all it means i cant drink tea at night,

Well started work today and one of the guys picked out I was irish straight away and his exact words were " I love the Irish, Great drinkers and great brawlers", So looks like were liked for the same thing were hated for, Crazy bastards:pac:

worst of all it means i cant drink tea at night,

Thats BS and you know it.

ice_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

My Uncle has lived in Australia for the past 40 years and he says he is ashamed to say he's Irish with these meat heads that leave Ireland for the first time in their lives and think they can act anyway they like getting pissed up etc, is it any wonder the world thinks Irish nation is just a bunch of alco's!Paints a nice picture eh!!!

When in Rome.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mazi wrote: »
    My Uncle has lived in Australia for the past 40 years and he says he is ashamed to say he's Irish with these meat heads that leave Ireland for the first time in their lives and think they can act anyway they like getting pissed up etc, is it any wonder the world thinks Irish nation is just a bunch of alco's!Paints a nice picture eh!!!

The vast majority of brawling Irish here Ive seen have been brawling with....other Irish.

And usually in bars that Aussies dont even drink in.

Where exactly the average Aussie is coming across anti social behaviour involving Irish folks Im not really understanding tbh. In the parts of Bondi/ Coogee that the Irish generally live in there arent even all that many Aussies living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

In the parts of Bondi/ Coogee that the Irish generally live in there arent even all that many Aussies living there.
    Just the type of places a lot of Irish live in are complete holes that no Aussie would set foot in.
    I doubt there is any area in coogee (bar the road directly behind the CBH) that there are more Irish than Aussie

Advertisement