Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a car seat for an 8 month old.

Options
  • 01-01-2012 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks. Our daughter is almost 6 months old and is too big for the baby elegance car seat.

I want to get her a new rear facing seat thats very cumfy for her as the one we have makes her sweat mad and she cannot sleep in it. Price is not an issue so can someone recommend a good one please that will do her until shes old enough for a forward facing seat. I have Isofix on the car..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have seen this. http://www.securatot.co.uk/besafe-izi-combi-isofix. Has anyone else purchsed one of these. They seem to have good reviews..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went got the be safe izi isofix seat. Its extended rear facing with isofix and forward facing with seat belt. Has adjustable head support and straps. my son is 15 months is up too my waist and is still rear facing. Can be kept that way to 4 years old.
    Murphys in rathcoole and kealys do them.
    Expensive but a really good seat. Its suitable from birth. The tilt on the seat is adjustable.

Went got the be safe izi isofix seat. Its extended rear facing with isofix and forward facing with seat belt. Has adjustable head support and straps. my son is 15 months is up too my waist and is still rear facing. Can be kept that way to 4 years old.
    Expensive but a really good seat. Its suitable from birth. The tilt on the seat is adjustable.

Cheers. Can they swivel so they you can lift your child out easily??.

-Corkie- wrote: »

They dont swivel but we dont find it a problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have seen this. http://www.securatot.co.uk/besafe-izi-combi-isofix. Has anyone else purchsed one of these. They seem to have good reviews..
    My 3 year old has been in it since she was about 15 months,we find it great and will be buying another for the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No but my daughter gets in and out herself due to her size!
    We got ours from kiddicare.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

The Britax First Class can be put rear facing and forward facing if that is any help to you.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No but my daughter gets in and out herself due to her size!
    We got ours from kiddicare.com .

I actually seen that in a old thread. They seem to be very expensive. Kiddicare has it for 330 euro but they are out of stock.

teaholic wrote: »
    The Britax First Class can be put rear facing and forward facing if that is any help to you.

Cheers I will have a look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have this and I love it. I cant really think of any cons, I've gotten fast at putting it in, took me a while when I bought it first.

I think it comes in a isofix version as a German friend has it but the name is different. It seems to be the same seat as she gave me her spare cover for her's and it fits perfectly.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have this and I love it. I cant really think of any cons, I've gotten fast at putting it in, took me a while when I bought it first.

I think it comes in a isofix version as a German friend has it but the name is different. It seems to be the same seat as she gave me her spare cover for her's and it fits perfectly.

Is that the Britax???. Its a lot cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I think we paid €120 in Mothercare, we had a voucher so didnt shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Do you know the law here has changed with regard to baby seats ? You now cannot have a baby in a rear facing baby seat if there is an air bag for that car seat.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Do you know the law here has changed with regard to baby seats ? You now cannot have a baby in a rear facing baby seat if there is an air bag for that car seat.

Thats for the front air bag. My car has airbags in every seat.

The besafe will do till they are aprox 4. As it's rear and forward you wont have to buy a forward facing when the rear facing is too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 choclate

We looked around in Dublin and Sligo at options for rear-facing car seats but found the selection was very poor and we also felt it was difficult to find someone with good knowledge about what options are available, pros and cons etc. In one reputable shop in Dublin they were not clear on how the seats (BeSafe Isi.. and Britax Multitech) should be fitted and gave incorrect information.

This was quite a fustrating experience - I would have been much happier to buy in the Republic of IReland but there was little choice and very little solid, trustworthy advice. After a lot of searching on the internet and reading various forums we eventually decided to go up north to InCarSafety in belfast and purchased a Britax TwoWay Elite. Its not a very new model but its quite roomy and yet doesnt take up excessive space in the car like BeSafe Isi and Britax Multitech. I felt the guy (Simon) who dealt with us was very knowledgeable and gave impartial advice. The Britax TwoWay Elite cost just under 200stg if I remember correctly.

Belfast is a long trek from Cork but it might happen to work for you. There was quite a selection availble to chose from. We had pinpointed two we were interested in an just focused on those.

choclate wrote: »
    We looked around in Dublin and Sligo at options for rear-facing car seats but found the selection was very poor and we also felt it was difficult to find someone with good knowledge about what options are available, pros and cons etc. In one reputable shop in Dublin they were not clear on how the seats (BeSafe Isi.. and Britax Multitech) should be fitted and gave incorrect information.

This was quite a fustrating experience - I would have been much happier to buy in the Republic of IReland but there was little choice and very little solid, trustworthy advice. After a lot of searching on the internet and reading various forums we eventually decided to go up north to InCarSafety in belfast and purchased a Britax TwoWay Elite. Its not a very new model but its quite roomy and yet doesnt take up excessive space in the car like BeSafe Isi and Britax Multitech. I felt the guy (Simon) who dealt with us was very knowledgeable and gave impartial advice. The Britax TwoWay Elite cost just under 200stg if I remember correctly.

Belfast is a long trek from Cork but it might happen to work for you. There was quite a selection availble to chose from. We had pinpointed two we were interested in an just focused on those.

simon knows his stuff. They also deliver if you don't want took drive up.there's also a place in sweden. Carseats.se that are good.
    simon advised me on our seat and I bought it down here. 30 euro saving wasnt worth the drive.

choclate wrote: »

simon knows his stuff. They also deliver if you don't want took drive up.there's also a place in sweden. Carseats.se that are good.
    simon advised me on our seat and I bought it down here. 30 euro saving wasnt worth the drive.

They are both forward facing seats and unsuitable for a 6 month old.
    Please read the topic before posting.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They are both forward facing seats and unsuitable for a 6 month old.
    Please read the topic before posting.

I know I tried to edit the thread title but I cant. She is eight months old now, over 9kg and is too tall for her current seat.

At 8 months old she should still be rear facing.

As far as front facing goes there are 100's to choose from.

Our 16 month old is still rear facing and will be until he's too big. Then we'll put him forward facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

It depends...
    I think 9months is the legal requirement here,

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Road-safety-for-kids/Child-safety-in-cars/
    http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/facts.php

My 1 year old only weighs a bit more then 9kg and is not very tall so she is still in the maxi cosi baby seat .
    My 3 year old has a be safe izi .

What weight is your small man now Captain??. I remember him being born abot 2 weeks after our small girl..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

What did ye get???. My missus is adamant on a front facing seat but after looking at a few videos on youtube I think a rear facing is much safer. I must buy something soon..

I am going up to Tony Kealys tomorrow to look at the besafe isofix seat. The girl on the phone seemed very helpful and promised a price match to Kiddicare. I am getting a rearfacing seat..

• Advertisement

I am going up to Tony Kealys tomorrow to look at the besafe isofix seat. The girl on the phone seemed very helpful and promised a price match to Kiddicare. I am getting a rearfacing seat..
    I did not realise that they sold it. We have them and they are brilliant.

Advertisement