Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP550 4GB RAM upgrade crashing, but not with 3GB

Options
  • 01-01-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

So I'm upgrading an old laptop for my father in law. It's an old HP550 running vista 32bit with an old Celeron processor. It had 1GB of RAM so I upgraded it to 4GB now Vista BSOD's within seconds of loading.

Even Ubuntu and memtest crash on loading aswell which is funny, so I swapped the RAM out for known good stuff from my own laptop, again 4GB and same results, so I don't think thats the problem.

Now if I put in 2GB +1GB everytihng works fine and vista recognises the 3GB and everyones happy, but I would like to get to the bottom of this. I ran the http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ and it confirms the motherboard can handle 4GB so I'm a bit confused!

So I went looking for an upgraded BIOS but HP list the latest BIOS as version F.00 but this laptop has got F.01 ?????

Has anyone got any tips on to where to look now?

Comments

Motherboard is probably able to handle the upgrade.

Though a 32 bit system, is not going to address the full 4GB upgrade.

I would leave it at 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I think with a 32bit OS you won't get the full 4GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I think with a 32bit OS you won't get the full 4GB.

Yea thats what im going to do but i would have liked to figure this problem out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try using win7 rather than vista

vista is notoriously unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

slinky2000 wrote: »

So I went looking for an upgraded BIOS but HP list the latest BIOS as version F.00 but this laptop has got F.01 ?????

It looks like when you go to HP's site that it is giving you the default bios for the 68MVU Family.
    F.08 for the same family is available here, and the driver was updated in 2009.

It does look like your not alone looking for a bios update newer than the default one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dragy

I know this is an old thread, but google points to it. So if anyone want to know HP 550 works like this:
    if you have a Core 2 Duo processor, it can handle 4 GB RAM
    if you have a Celeron processor, it can handle max 3GB RAM
    In other words if you have chipset 965 it can handle 4 GB, chipset 960 can handle only 3 GB of RAM.

Advertisement