Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather station

Options
  • 01-01-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

Other half got me weather station for Xmas :)
    Oregon scientific wireless pro
    I've a couple of questions for anyone who has one
    1 . Rain gauge set up. It's a plastic container with 4 screw spaces on bottom. Should I screw it into a brick and set it down somewhere or onto a fence post ?
    Again it's plastic and suggests screwing into a fence post which I can do. But is it solid enough in Yere experience ?
    Temperature sensor.
    Back of the house is south facing and exposed so I guess I should put it on side of house ? Or north side of shed but this would generally be shaded
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

km79 wrote: »
    Other half got me weather station for Xmas :)
    Oregon scientific wireless pro
    I've a couple of questions for anyone who has one
    1 . Rain gauge set up. It's a plastic container with 4 screw spaces on bottom. Should I screw it into a brick and set it down somewhere or onto a fence post ?
    Again it's plastic and suggests screwing into a fence post which I can do. But is it solid enough in Yere experience ?
    Temperature sensor.
    Back of the house is south facing and exposed so I guess I should put it on side of house ? Or north side of shed but this would generally be shaded
    TIA
    I don't have that particular station but have expierence with quite a few.

1. If it's the one I think its quite large and fixing to a heavy piece of wood should be enough to stop the wind causing problems, just keep it level.

2. Don't over tighten and you'll be fine.

3. The more exposed the better but I don't think the sensor has much of a shield so a shaded area would be better. You could look at building a radiation shield and placing the sensor in it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks very helpful.
    Just noticed that the wind sensor has to be positioned facing north which will force a rethink as the north side of shed is probably too sheltered

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

I also got a maplin one from the missus
    Not sure on how to read the pressure. Do I use relative or absolute.
    Does it need to be calibrated?
    Thanks
    K

It's not picking up the wind sensor now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It is flat calm here in this part of east Galway KM, I am reading zero, perhaps that is it?

• Advertisement

It is flat calm here in this part of east Galway KM, I am reading zero, perhaps that is it?
    Maybe but I don't think so. It's spinning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Maybe but I don't think so. It's spinning

Ah, ok. I have no idea how your particular station works, is there a chance that the wind sensor is out of the range or that you have the weather console too close to a thick wall that might be blocking the signal? Sorry can't be of any more help.

Got it working :) 2.5 MPH breeze :only worked for a minute .
    Can't get Readings from it On base station. I've tried everything resetting both , moving wind sensor, testing indoors beside base station.
    Has anyone any other tips.
    The weather station is Oregon model WMR88

One of the batteries was the wrong way around LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 16 waytoowarm

thinking of setting up a ws here , any sudgestions of a good 1 to get??? thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Right, so with the impending several feet of snow* due in the next couple of days, how the hell do I manage to get my weather station to measure snowfall amounts? Or do I just have to stick a post in the garden and mark heights on it and go and read it like the olden days?

(*) a man can dream, can't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

kenmc wrote: »
    Right, so with the impending several feet of snow* due in the next couple of days, how the hell do I manage to get my weather station to measure snowfall amounts? Or do I just have to stick a post in the garden and mark heights on it and go and read it like the olden days?

(*) a man can dream, can't he?

Only the brave can do these sort of measurement! ... VERY TECHNICAL....

STEP 1.....

Measuring-Tape.jpg

:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Don't be rediculous, everyone knows that a tape measure is for measuring how LONG things are. NOT how DEEP things are! I have to get a different sort of do-hickey for that :pac:

No but seriously - how do i convert the (hopefully!) pile of snow which will be sitting on top of my rain gauge in the morning into mms of precip; if it's cold enough for the snow to hang around it'll mostly not be melting into the gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

kenmc wrote: »
    Don't be rediculous, everyone knows that a tape measure is for measuring how LONG things are. NOT how DEEP things are! I have to get a different sort of do-hickey for that :pac:

No but seriously - how do i convert the (hopefully!) pile of snow which will be sitting on top of my rain gauge in the morning into mms of precip; if it's cold enough for the snow to hang around it'll mostly not be melting into the gauge.

Thought 1cm of snow equals 1mm of rain ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There can be a wide range of snow-water equivalents, from 5:1 for very wet snow up to 50:1 for dry fluffy snow. That would mean 1 mm of rain equivalent for every 5 or 50 mm of snow depth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rite dont want to start a new thread for this but can anyone help me getting my weather station data online ?

Is there a hosting site or I do I need to use my own website.

I have a WRM 100 and am using Cumulus software at the moment

Cheers for any help , much appreciated .

Rite dont want to start a new thread for this but can anyone help me getting my weather station data online ?

Is there a hosting site or I do I need to use my own website.

I have a WRM 100 and am using Cumulus software at the moment

Cheers for any help , much appreciated .
    Well you can get hosting and a domain for €60 a year <snip>

Need any help just shout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Villain wrote: »
    Well you can get hosting and a domain for €60 a year <snip>

Need any help just shout.

I have one already its just got a holding page on it at the moment

www.vim.ie

I have one already its just got a holding page on it at the moment

www.vim.ie
    Ok so depends on what you want to achieve and what knowledge you have of php ftp etc

See http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/Settings-config-Cumulus.php thats the template I use on carlowweather.com

Have you been using cumulus for long, Weather Display makes life a bit easier imo

Ok so depends on what you want to achieve and what knowledge you have of php ftp etc

See http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/Settings-config-Cumulus.php thats the template I use on carlowweather.com

Have you been using cumulus for long, Weather Display makes life a bit easier imo

I have the paid version of Weather Display Live , but I found the software very buggy , If her nibbs turned off the PC or put it into Hibernation I could not get the WD to start picking up data again .

Il have a look at the link and see what I have to do ,

Cheers

All I really want to do is have the station data in my signature like yourself and a few others

• Advertisement

Well that graphic in my sig is generated from WD, I had the same issues with weather display in the past but not on the latest version, although you really need to have the pc on 24x7

Well that graphic in my sig is generated from WD, I had the same issues with weather display in the past but not on the latest version, although you really need to have the pc on 24x7

I had told her all rite to not turn off the PC , now I have to leave sticky notes on it :D

Although I did notice that origan scientific launched an ew weather server at CES this year ,

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/oregon-scientific-remote-weather-access-platform/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I have the paid version of Weather Display Live , but I found the software very buggy , If her nibbs turned off the PC or put it into Hibernation I could not get the WD to start picking up data again .

Cheers

All I really want to do is have the station data in my signature like yourself and a few others

I use WD live myself but have never been able to get WD itself working properly and believe me i tried! At the moment i use weatherlink to update my webpages with WD live embedded in the current conditions page (although things like monthly figures etc are enough often wrong due to WD).
    There is a very nifty piece of software called graphweather which piggybacks off the data files created by weather link, WD, etc (think it works with cumulus too). It produces nice graphs and figures and uploads them, comes with a good few templates which can be configured to your personal taste.
    http://www.aguilmard.com/wordpress/?page_id=18
    Here's an example of an image which i used to have as my sig before,
    must get it up and running again properly again actually!
    report.png

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

WD is brilliant when working right. I had huge issues when i was running it on XP home edition. But since last week i have been running it on an XP professional machine on its running sweet.

As Villian has pointed out WD will create the sig for you and is very easy to setup.
    I love the text fuction on WD which send me an alert when the windpseed reaches a certain level or the temp and DP drop low enough for the white stuff.(still waiting on that text)

My station is in Kildare http://tinyurl.com/83wzue3

I have the paid version of Weather Display Live , but I found the software very buggy

If it fails to start update any drivers associated with your station ie USB or COM port drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Cheers

I can give you a hand to set up a banner for your sig using Cumulus if you like :)
    That's what I'm running - have a look at mine & Drop me a PM if its what you're after

I might have to give it another go , Its a wrm100 I have , not sure where I will get the latest drivers , Il have a proper look about tomorrow.

I might have to give it another go , Its a wrm100 I have , not sure where I will get the latest drivers , Il have a proper look about tomorrow.

If its USB try the USB to UART driver update here http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7.exe

It worked for my station which is a Davis VP2 with USB datalogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

During this high pressure period 1033 to 1036 hPa across Ireland, my main WS
    [it's adjusted for absolute -4hPa] and this was in agreement with general trends.

WH1081 is showing 1027 hPa
    WS110 says 1029 hPa
    Kestrel 2500 says 1034

This is a high pressure for my station and at lower pressure all my instruments had been in agreement seemingly my sensor is adrift as the pressure changes, I already know my temperature accuracy drifts too high as it gets warmer.

Just for reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I had told her all rite to not turn off the PC , now I have to leave sticky notes on it :D

Although I did notice that origan scientific launched an ew weather server at CES this year ,

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/oregon-scientific-remote-weather-access-platform/

Excellent, had asked about something that would hook into a wireless network etc and this sounds pretty good.

Advertisement