Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail fares to increase by ??? from January 4th

Options
  • 01-01-2012 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1261
    General News
    Some rail fares to increase from 4th January 2012 by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann advises customers that some rail fares will increase on 4th January 2012, following a decision by the National Transport Authority to approve average increases ranging from 6 to 6.7%.

These increases follow from the reduction in funds available to subsidise public transport announced in the Budget.

The new Leap Card (a smartcard card which will operate across all public transport providers) will give commuters and travellers an option to pay lower fares. The Leap card is now available.

The Authority has approved increases for Iarnród Éireann averaging 6% on DART and 6.7% on Commuter services. A significant discount on cash fares will continue to be available for customers using the new Leap Card. This discount ranges between 16% and 19% for single fares.

The following fare types will increase from 4th January 2012:

Dublin DART Commuter Fares

• Adult and Child Single, Day Return, 3 Day and 7 Day tickets together with all Weekly and Monthly fares.

• Schoolchild Single and Return tickets.

• Some Adult, Child, Schoolchild and Scholar epurse fares on Smartcards will be increased. Epurse fares apply to both the IE Smartcard and the Leap Card, but will be in all cases lower than cash fares.

• Rail/Luas and Rail/Bus/Luas fares will also be adjusted from this date.

Cork/Cobh Commuter Fares

• Adult and Child Single & Day Returns and Adult, Student and Child Weekly and Monthly fares.

Commuter Season Tickets

• Adult, Student and Child Weekly and Monthly fares will increase in all zones.

• Annual Tickets and Monthly Season Tickets issued under the Taxsaver scheme will be increased from Thursday 1st March 2012. Rail/Bus Tickets

• Fares increases to combined Bus and Rail tickets in the Dublin and Cork Commuter areas and Medium, Long and Giant Hop tickets will take place in February 2012.

Intercity fares will be subject to a separate decision by the National Transport Authority, and any increase in these will be advised in due course.

For further information on the fare increases approval, please consult the NTA Website.

It is very bad form that this Company fail to inform customers properly of how they will be affected by these fares.

How hard would it be to say dart fares go from €x.xx to €x.xx showing the increase in Euro instead of just giving a useless % figure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

foggy_lad wrote: »
    http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1261

It is very bad form that this Company fail to inform customers properly of how they will be affected by these fares.

How hard would it be to say dart fares go from €x.xx to €x.xx showing the increase in Euro instead of just giving a useless % figure?

There was some information from the NTA about the fare increases. They show in Table 8 & 9, the increases in both leap and cash fares.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Cie-operators-fares-increases-Dec-2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, it's a bit lazy. Details here: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Cie-operators-fares-increases-Dec-2011.pdf

However luas.ie appears to be worse, with no comment at all, although there is on rpa.ie - all single fares are up 10c. http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/RPA-Luas-fares-approval-Dec-2011.pdf

Luas and Dublin Bus fares increase from today, 1 January.

Note, if you are paying cash for single tickets, Leap will never be more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There was some information from the NTA about the fare increases. They show in Table 8 & 9, the increases in both leap and cash fares.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Cie-operators-fares-increases-Dec-2011.pdf
    Nice to see someone has the information and is prepared to publish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ffs! On Friday, I asked the ticket-office staff in Galway Bus Station what the new weekly and monthly fares would be - they said they didn't know yet, and didn't expect to find out until Tuesday! Y'd think the company could get its s*it together a bit ...

And it's interesting that the Day-Saver tickets that BE have been introducing around the country aren't included in that list. Wonder what's going to happen to 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

JustMary wrote: »
    ffs! On Friday, I asked the ticket-office staff in Galway Bus Station what the new weekly and monthly fares would be - they said they didn't know yet, and didn't expect to find out until Tuesday! Y'd think the company could get its s*it together a bit ...

And it's interesting that the Day-Saver tickets that BE have been introducing around the country aren't included in that list. Wonder what's going to happen to 'em.

Some Bus Eireann single fare increases are up now since Tuesday on the website. Would they have some impact on weekly or monthly tickets.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1056&month=Dec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Discounted Tickets for bus and rail like the day saver and Irish Rails Day return specials after 9.30am are not included as they are special discounted fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I have an exact figure for anyone here and trust me when i say this is shocking and an outrage.:mad:

I travel every couple of months to see my nan in a home in Leixlip, which means me travelling from Waterford to Dublin , now because i dont do this to much i never complained about paying the 20 euro:D online each way fare.

Now comes the Kicker our superb excellent consumer focused government :mad:
    have decided in their wisdon to increase these rates to not 12 euro no no no that would be to easy , you say to yourself ok surely 13 would suffice you would really think so , but alas no you are wrong again.

I hear you say well it cant be over 15 euro for a single journey that would be half of the individual cost. Hold on to your seat ladies and gentle folk because it is a staggering 8 euro more per individual journey when you factor in the online card charge. Now i hear you ask do i get anything extra forpaying nearly double what i originally paid and again i am sorry to say NO your journey will remain the same.

The same seats
    The same Toilets
    The same moody ticket inspector
    The same over priced stale sandwiches

Instead of paying 20 euro total for my journey to Dublin
    I now have to pay 34 wow lads why not just throw another 6 euro in there so it makes it a nice neat round 40 quid you can now take out of my social welfare (as they dont account for people who are unemployed and have to travel):eek:

Im starting to think to myself that this government doesnt really care about us does anyone else have anything to throw in to this or should i just like everyone else grin and bare it and smile thru my teeth as the TD whips by me in his 2012 merc Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.com:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you book 3 or more days in advance, you should get Waterford-Heuston for €9.99 single.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Many Thanks victor i was not aware of that as i normally book the night before i go ,will be handy for future reference

Thanks again your a gent

Advertisement