Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on old ipod

• 01-01-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly just to let you know i am useless with electronics.

A few years back my OH bought me a 2GB ipod nano. I years later deleted all the music by mistake.

I have also lost the disk that came with it.

Is there any way of being able to get music back onto it or is it fit for the bin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

I'd plug it into the pc and see what happens. If it can be synced with your itunes library, you can put whatever music you like on it. It may tell you to update software if a newer version was released, but once it turns on at all, I'd say it will work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you know which generation it is? If it's a first generation you can send it back to get the battery replaced for free and there's a chance that they'll ship you a brand new model.

If it's 2GB it's either a 1st or 2nd gen model, are the sides flat or rounded? If the sides are flat then it's a 1st gen model and you will probably qualify for a free refurb/replacement....

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AndyGarcia

I'd plug it into the pc and see what happens. If it can be synced with your itunes library, you can put whatever music you like on it. It may tell you to update software if a newer version was released, but once it turns on at all, I'd say it will work fine.
    Have a new laptop so ill have to download itunes, is it possible to do this?
    coylemj wrote: »
    Do you know which generation it is? If it's a first generation you can send it back to get the battery replaced for free and there's a chance that they'll ship you a brand new model.

If it's 2GB it's either a 1st or 2nd gen model, are the sides flat or rounded?

The sides are flat

AndyGarcia wrote: »
    The sides are flat

I updated my post, take a look at the link I posted. You have a 1st gen model.

Have a new laptop so ill have to download itunes, is it possible to do this?

Yes, from here... http://www.apple.com/itunes/

• Advertisement

If it's 2GB it's either a 1st or 2nd gen model, are the sides flat or rounded? If the sides are flat then it's a 1st gen model and you will probably qualify for a free refurb/replacement....

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

When i enter in all the details it keeps bringing up this page http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/

holy crap it worked they are sending me a box with the mailing details and then they said they will send me a replacement out. thanks for that pal, hope its as easy as that.

holy crap it worked they are sending me a box with the mailing details and then they said they will send me a replacement out. thanks for that pal, hope its as easy as that.

Yes, that's all that's to it. They will send you a prepaid UPS envelope, you phone UPS and they will come and collect it, all paid for. The serial number will provide the link to your deails so you don't need to include a covering letter, just send the nano back as instructed.

They've run out of 'boxes' so you will probably receive a large padded envelope instead, I put mine into a small recycled padded envelope, then into the large one Apple supplied and that in turn into the big UPS envelope, it was collected a few days before Christmas. There is a big backlog so don't expect a reply any time soon but you can track it on the website using the reference number they gave you.

Keep an eye on this thread, one of our local posters is expecting his replacement in a few days and he's going to tell us what he gets though I have read US forums where people have received brand new 6th gen models.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056451384

Yes, that's all that's to it. They will send you a prepaid UPS envelope, you phone UPS and they will come and collect it, all paid for. The serial number will provide the link to your deails so you don't need to include a covering letter, just send the nano back as instructed.

They've run out of 'boxes' so you will probably receive a large padded envelope instead, I put mine into a small recycled padded envelope, then into the large one Apple supplied and that in turn into the big UPS envelope, it was collected a few days before Christmas. There is a big backlog so don't expect a reply any time soon but you can track it on the website using the reference number they gave you.

Keep an eye on this thread, one of our local posters is expecting his replacement in a few days and he's going to tell us what he gets though I have read US forums where people have received brand new 6th gen models.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056451384

Lol this is great news, always wondered why it never worked properly and no one could ever tell me. thanks for your help on this Coyle. And to think i was going out this week to buy a new one. Nice start to 2012 lol

BTW, how long did it take from when you entered all the details on the Apple website to actually receiving the envelope?

Lol this is great news, always wondered why it never worked properly and no one could ever tell me. thanks for your help on this Coyle. And to think i was going out this week to buy a new one. Nice start to 2012 lol

The replacement program is to replace the batteries, it came completely out of the blue so is unlikely to relate to the problem you had with the device.
    BTW, how long did it take from when you entered all the details on the Apple website to actually receiving the envelope?

Can't remember exactly, I sat on the envelope for over a month hoping that Apple would run out of parts to refurbish the old models so at this stage I don't recall how long it took for it to arrive but it can't have been too long, a week or two maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Mine took 2 weeks to come, Apple have it from 30 Nov and 12 Dec awaiting replacement to change since then. So its not a very quick return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

My nano has been with apple for about a month and a half now, they still say product replacement is pending :P I'd say expect the replacement sometime in February :P

Advertisement