Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a few questions regarding flights and visas to NZ and Aus

Options
  • 01-01-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am thinking of going to NZ in March to see my bf. he has been in NZ since last March so the plan is I will go over and meet him we go around NZ for 2 weeks then we both go to Australia together and work for the year. I havent a clue where to start so I am seeking advice.

I will be applying for an Australian WHV in Ireland but according to NZ immigration website I need proof that I will not be staying in NZ for more than 3 months so does this mean I will need to have proof of flights to Aus from NZ with me at customs? Also how much money (cash) do I need to bring and how can you prove to customs that you have sufficient funds in your bank a/c would a statement from lets say AIB/BOI be sufficient? Also how long does it take to get a visa and where do I apply for one?

Another thing worrying me is the flight. I am going on my own and havent flown anywhere further than Engalnd so. When you stop in Singapore and get off the plane do you have to get your bag and check it through again and do customs again or just get off walk around and get back on again? Also if anyone has flown with Singapore Airlines is it true they offer you blankets? Is it easy to sleep on the plane?

I know these are simple stupid questions but Iv never done anything like this before and am worried about doing it all on my own. I am greatful for all help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I will be applying for an Australian WHV in Ireland but according to NZ immigration website I need proof that I will not be staying in NZ for more than 3 months so does this mean I will need to have proof of flights to Aus from NZ with me at customs? Also how much money (cash) do I need to bring and how can you prove to customs that you have sufficient funds in your bank a/c would a statement from lets say AIB/BOI be sufficient? Also how long does it take to get a visa and where do I apply for one?

Hi and welcome to boards, the first thing you should do is read the FAQ at the top of the forum it will answer a lot of your questions, esp the Aus WHV questions.

You will need to have a return flight out of NZ if a tourist visa - a print out of the flight is sufficient.

The funds part is for your benefit, but suggested 5k minimum (Aus) for australia - it's expensive, they rarely check at the airport, but print out or a credit card would probably suffice.
    The visa questions (how long, where) is answered in the FAQ
    Another thing worrying me is the flight. I am going on my own and havent flown anywhere further than Engalnd so. When you stop in Singapore and get off the plane do you have to get your bag and check it through again and do customs again or just get off walk around and get back on again? Also if anyone has flown with Singapore Airlines is it true they offer you blankets? Is it easy to sleep on the plane?

Yeah usually you have a lay over for a few hours, so get off the plane, stretch your legs etc, your bags will be checked all the way to your final destination, and you usually are given two boarding passes, one to singapore, one singapore -> Aus/Nz.

You will have to go through security again yes, bags scanned passport presented etc

Yes they offer blackets, alcohol movies etc ..
    I know these are simple stupid questions but Iv never done anything like this before and am worried about doing it all on my own. I am greatful for all help. Thanks

Try do a few word searches on the forum for questions, lots of your questions have been answered before and you can probably find feedback on signapore airlines with searches like this
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=singapore%2Bairlines&f=1121

Advertisement