Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Heard the leaked track with Curren$y there yesterday and really liked it. Will give the whole mixtape a whirl now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I would seriously recommend checking out a new mixtape from an MC called Thesis. The mixtape is called 'All Mixed Up'.

Don't sleep on this. It's real good.

http://thisisthesis.bandcamp.com/album/all-mixed-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hey C-Rayz - learn how to name tracks properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I would seriously recommend checking out a new mixtape from an MC called Thesis. The mixtape is called 'All Mixed Up'.

Don't sleep on this. It's real good.

http://thisisthesis.bandcamp.com/album/all-mixed-up

Some nice songs on it.

My favourite line of the last few months has to be on 'Three Amigos':
    My body tickles,
    Got me crawling on the floor,
    Like I'm Tommy Pickles

Brings me way back to my childhood with The Rugrats :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The new Chino XL is supposed to be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I was listening to the new deadmau5 album earlier (don't judge me) and I came across this track with Cypress Hill.
    I really like the production, I actually think B-Real & Sen Dog have the perfect type of flow for dubstep/electro type tracks.
    Their EP with Rusko was fairly good earlier this year and is worth checking out.

Killer Mike has released a new version of "Anywhere But Here" from his album. Chamillionaire is on this one. Would have liked to hear it on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I haven't heard Baby Face Killa yet but I have heard two outstanding albums this week during my little free time in college outside going on the piss...Payback by Danny! and First Of A Living Breed by Homeboy Sandman. Anyone who knows of Danny! will know his style and sound and little changes here and it's another superb consistent album added to his impressive collection...and HS is seriously pushing his way fast up my all time greats list. I just can't get enough of the dude. Insane lyricist...3 great projects this year from him now, this clearly being the best of the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Loving that track, will it be on the album?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Loving that track, will it be on the album?

Not sure, as much as I like it it hardly seems like one of at least 12 tracks to be on "the greatest albums" since 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thisisthesis

Some nice songs on it.

My favourite line of the last few months has to be on 'Three Amigos':

Brings me way back to my childhood with The Rugrats :D.

Thanks guys, Really glad you're diggin the tape and I appreciate you sharing it. It really means a lot!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good looking finding this thread and showing appreciation, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thisisthesis

No doubt man. Always happy to meet people diggin my stuff.

New PE released according to a flash of my email I just got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Saigon is releasing the greatest story never told chapter 2.. the first one was class. Here's the first single called feet on the ground, pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

so sh*t imo ^^... really not liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

so sh*t imo ^^... really not liking it.
    It's...meh

I can confirm the Murs/Fashawn, FlyLo and Freddie Gibbs LPs are excellent. I also enjoy Z-Ro's newest but I don't their are many fans here so whatever. I've only listened to Danny!, Brother Ali and Lupe Fiasco once but they sounded good. Need to get the Homeboy Sandman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Absolute banger from mister x to the z, beat is fire and he absolutely kills it!!

another one ft wiz, liking it a lot. Dont know if someone has posted this already but the Album snipps are out a while too, sounds pretty good nice west sound to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I'm tempted to listen to the Xzibit songs but I think I'm just going to wait for it to come out and I'll get it via HMV or iTunes. What I've heard so far has been very good and if I'm going to pay for it then I'd like to have some element of surprise when I load it up.

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to listen to the Xzibit songs but I think I'm just going to wait for it to come out and I'll get it via HMV or iTunes. What I've heard so far has been very good and if I'm going to pay for it then I'd like to have some element of surprise when I load it up.

It's out on iTunes now.

It's out on iTunes now.

I just put in an order in HMV there. It'll be there on Monday. Only two copies coming into the shop. Makes me feel very special :pac:.

I just put in an order in HMV there. It'll be there on Monday. Only two copies coming into the shop. Makes me feel very special :pac:.

I really need to start buying cds again, i actually miss having the album and artwork etc, Your lucky you have a hmv and not a golden discs! not a hope they'll be stocking this.

damn digital era:D

I have to say im loving napalm. Life is good was my favourite album so far this year, napalm has quickly surpassed it. Very well put together, i feared for it when i saw how feature heavy it was but X doesnt let anyone outshine him which is always a pet hate of mine when rappers allow others to jump on their tracks and totally eclipse them.

On a personal note, loving the bishop feature and also the line about paul and eminem on 1983. Great blend and balance to the album, 1 or 2 duds but what album doesnt these days.

standouts

everywhere
    stand tall
    spread it out
    louis XIII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone listen to Brother Ali's new album?

Impressions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Keno 92 wrote: »

Impressions?

Fantastic album, great production by Jake One. Had to force myself to stop listening to it!

I really need to start buying cds again, i actually miss having the album and artwork etc, Your lucky you have a hmv and not a golden discs! not a hope they'll be stocking this.

damn digital era:D

Yea I'm not a fan at all of buying via iTunes. If that's the only way then I will, but if I have a choice then I'll always go for the physical copy.

I think I've only ever bought 3 albums on iTunes and that was because I got a €25 voucher for Christmas one year. The three were "Lifestylez Ov..." by Big L, "Doggystyle" by Snoop and "Quality" by Talib, so they weren't exactly duds.

Bought them because I couldn't find them in any shop. I'd been looking for a physical copy of Doggystyle for about 3 years and just gave up.
    I have to say im loving napalm. Life is good was my favourite album so far this year, napalm has quickly surpassed it. Very well put together, i feared for it when i saw how feature heavy it was but X doesnt let anyone outshine him which is always a pet hate of mine when rappers allow others to jump on their tracks and totally eclipse them.

On a personal note, loving the bishop feature and also the line about paul and eminem on 1983. Great blend and balance to the album, 1 or 2 duds but what album doesnt these days.

standouts

everywhere
    stand tall
    spread it out
    louis XIII

I'm looking forward to it a lot now. Am I right in saying there are no skits on it? Or at least none that have been given a track number of their own?

If not then 17 tracks is a huge amount. I remember Chamillionaire complaining a few years ago about his label wanting him to release only 10 songs on his album. I'd never pay €10 for that. Too few songs and if one or two aren't great then all you have is a glorified EP.

17 is a proper amount. It also allows for a few duds in there while still having 14/15 great songs.

Also another thing that kind of annoys me is when the first track isn't a track at all but an intro song/skit. Sometimes it works out but most of the time it doesn't. I much prefer when I can play the first song on the album and just listen away to the whole thing.

Impressions?

Did not regret buying it. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Impressions?

when i first listened to it only thought it was alright but with every listen i seem to like it more and more. This kinda thing happens to me alot, when i first listen to an album and really like it, it tends to get very boring after a few listens just like what happened with life is good and usually if at first i dont like an album it tends to usually grow on me..

I'm looking forward to it a lot now. Am I right in saying there are no skits on it? Or at least none that have been given a track number of their own?

i reckon you will like it a lot, tbh the only track im not really feeling is napalm. No skits at all and on my itune version i got 18 tracks, a remix of 1983 was included as a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

i reckon you will like it a lot, tbh the only track im not really feeling is napalm. No skits at all and on my itune version i got 18 tracks, a remix of 1983 was included as a bonus.

I really didn't like that. Loads on here absolutely loved it but I was like... Erm... Aggressive?

Only been listening to Movies and the track with Wiz, both are excellent. Case in point, driving 2 lads to our footy match this morning with I think the Wiz track playing and one of them says "... Is this Xzibit? Didn't know he was still rapping... It's pretty good actually."

Will give the other tracks you mentioned a shot now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only heard half of Napalm so far and really liking it so far. Bass in the car is just class.

Will have keep a lookout for MGK's album Lace Up as well. Only heard Edge of Destruction so far and it's a banger!

That Thesis album is great, only half way through because I re-listened several times to most of the tracks.

That Thesis album is great, only half way through because I re-listened several times to most of the tracks.

I've had it on repeat the last few days. Gets better with every listen.

I also uploaded Thurz's album and Freddie Gibbs' newest mixtape onto my iPod. I've been listening to all three of them in a row for the last week now.

I can't say which is my favourite. There are a few gems on all of them. On the whole they are all brilliant tapes. I'm looking forward to hearing from them all.

Not mad on Thurz at all, still have not listened to Freddie Gibbs at all. So much new hip-hop.

Still haven't listened to C rayz new stuff and I paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mike Mictlan from Doomtree released a free album last week called SNAXXX available from http://doomtree.bandcamp.com/album/snaxxx

Not your typical DTR sound but I'm liking it, here's the first single:

New Mellowhype is nice.

He has just released another mixtape with his group called CloudMakers. Havent listened to it yet, but you can get it from http://cloudmakers.bandcamp.com/

when i first listened to it only thought it was alright but with every listen i seem to like it more and more. This kinda thing happens to me alot, when i first listen to an album and really like it, it tends to get very boring after a few listens just like what happened with life is good and usually if at first i dont like an album it tends to usually grow on me..

I liked it alot when i first listened to the stream. Managed to pick up a physical copy in Rennes (that's in France for ya'll geography nerds) last week, still unopened. I'm tempted not to open it! Also got phyiscal copies of Skelethon and an Appollo Brown album called Clouds in the 3 minutes that I had in the Virgin Megastore there. I also had a copy of the new Homeboy Sandman album in my hands, but managed to loose it on the way to the checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

New Wu-Tang Clan track off the Man With the Iron Fists soundtrack. Looking like RZA will drop a classic kung fu movie and classic soundtrack

RZA Hints At Wu-Tang Clan Dropping A Final Album On The 20th Anniversary Of "Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)"
    RZA spoke on the possibility of a new Wu-Tang album during an appearance on Sway In The Morning after being asked if there would be another joint album from the group.

“Well, what I can say about that Sway is next year, November 2013 – I’m going back from 1993 to 2013, that’s our 20-year anniversary,” RZA revealed. “So I told the brothers we should definitely come together and maybe do something to close the book. So we’ve been building about it. If life permits and the energy is proper maybe next year on the same date or the same time we put out 36 Chambers we’ll put out a final chapter of recorded music.”

I love the idea of this. I'm not as excited about the language that RZA uses though. Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue but hearing him talk about 'closing the book' makes me very sad. Maybe that's just me. Hopefully it goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Freddie Gibbs LP 'Baby Face Killa' is well worth checking out.

I've had it on heavy rotation for the last few days and can't stop listening to it.

Certified banger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Advertisement