Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lookin to start MMA

• 01-01-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

i'm lookin to start training in mma very soon, now im not good shape at all at the moment and i was just wondering if that would be a problem ? im under the impression that i'll get fitter as i train and i have started a proper diet and going to the gym recently and have lost a bit of weight but i still have no stamina, im currently about 6'1 and 105kgs, im lookin to start it in rising phoenix in loughlinstown because its only a 10 minute walk from my house, mma is something that i've been interested in and big fan and something that i've been meaning to get into myself for awhile now, i'm willing to put in whatever effort it takes to do it right

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

good stuff, just go up and do it and the fitness will increase while your learning, makes way more sense than trying to get fit in a gym and learning nothing and then you still wont have MMA specific fitness anyway.

Let us know how you get on

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

yeah i suppose it would make alot more sense, cheers for the advice, i'll let you know how things go

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

i'm lookin to start training in mma very soon, now im not good shape at all at the moment and i was just wondering if that would be a problem ? im under the impression that i'll get fitter as i train and i have started a proper diet and going to the gym recently and have lost a bit of weight but i still have no stamina, im currently about 6'1 and 105kgs, im lookin to start it in rising phoenix in loughlinstown because its only a 10 minute walk from my house, mma is something that i've been interested in and big fan and something that i've been meaning to get into myself for awhile now, i'm willing to put in whatever effort it takes to do it right

GO for it dude. I was 6'1 and 100kg of useless space when i started! and my weight dropped steadily until I ended up at about 85kg!!but that's over a year and its not easy its tough to start off with but you'll get there and the best thing is you wont even notice that your training!!! I made some great friends too so I couldn't recommend it more! best of luck you'll love it ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Hey Wedgelington, Let your weight, shape fitness never put you off from walking into a good gym with good guys. I see your from shankill i myself are from Loughlinstown only a few doors away from were Rising Phoenix USED to be. The guy that used to run it lost interest in it i belive, so its gone now and has been closed the last 5 weeks anyway.

You should check out Legends mma up in Church Terrace up in Bray. The guys training up there are all very helpfull and they have very good coaches. I remember walking in there for the first time in the same predicament you are in but was made feel very welcome from the first class which is always good. If you need anymore info just give me a shout and ill help you a bit more no problem.

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The best way to get into shape and become physically fit for something is to do it. I remember my first MMA class, i was a big strong chap with reasonable cardio and that first class left me in a heap. It was excellent excercise and highly enjoyable.

I haven't been able to train in a long time but oddly enough what i miss the most is the MMA classes, even though i only managed to get to a few before becoming ill. The classes were great fun, very friendly and nice and challenging.

I'd be the kind of chap who feels the nerves before doing something new but i very quickly became comfortable in the class i went to , everyone was just very nice and friendly, always respectful and just there to learn and better themselves and that's pretty much all i hear from people I know who do MMA in a variety of gyms around the country.

I'd say get along to the classes as soon as you can, you won't regret it and will find the health benefits and sense of camaraderie very rewarding.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The best way to get into shape and become physically fit for something is to do it. I remember my first MMA class, i was a big strong chap with reasonable cardio and that first class left me in a heap. It was excellent excercise and highly enjoyable.

Same here, took a few classes before I could handle the pace but now Im up for a spar after the class or else some bag work.

My only advice is to persevere and don't go with an attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Great thread to start the new year OP, considering something like this myself for ages. Anyone know of any clubs in around Harold's Cross / Rathmines area. Would be looking to do some BJJ or wrestling maybe once or twice a week to go with gym routine.
    PM me if anyone has details.
    Thanks again guys, keep the forum going strong in 2012.....

BJJ Revolution Team SouthSide

We are a new BJJ Club based in the Kenilworth Lane, Harold's Cross, Dublin 6W and are affiliated with Team Ryano and BJJ Revolution Team.

From this thread

There is also Legion BJJ in Renalagh: The Mews, 22 Main Street, Ranelagh, Dublin 6

Plus SBG city centre which is at the top of Wicklow street I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Thanks a million for that RoboRat.
    Is BJJ Revolution Southside still in the same spot? Must have a look for them this evening, maybe drop in.

Dunno mate, never been there... I train out in the sticks!

Probably best to just drop in and have a look but make sure you take your shoes off if you go into the matted area!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement