Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you pronounce Scone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Scone as in "Hell hath no fury like a woman"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

brummytom wrote: »
    Scone, as in gone or one.

Anyone who pronounces it any other way should be shot in the head, the posh cúnts.

But gone and one aren't pronounced the same :confused:

If you pronounce it like gone then you're saying scon which makes you the posh cúnt and if you pronounce it like one then you're saying scun :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Tayla wrote: »
    But gone and one aren't pronounced the same :confused:

They are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭gk5000

S-con and it's not posh. S-cone is so D4 to me... though I have to use it to be understood often.

First heard S-cone when my bitch of a sister went to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Broads.ie wrote: »
    I never even knew there are people that pronounce it "scon".

Which county is this from?
    Look at a map of Scotland and pick any one you like.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

They are...

How are they pronounced the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Why is the mayo/culchie option of Sch-kone up there???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

stimpson wrote: »
    Being from de northside I'm contractually obliged to call it a Skooow-wen

It doesn't matter, you won't be able to afford one after the VAT increase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

S-cone.
    Scon is for posh people who also partake in the occasional crumpet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Scone, as in gone or one.

Anyone who pronounces it any other way should be shot in the head, the posh cúnts.
    In middle-class North Dublin parlance, gone is pronounced as "gohn" as in John, and one is pronounced as "wun" as in "won," so you're just confusing the matters further.

If IPA could be taught in schools it would make the matter so much easier :(

But aye, quite apart from the "scown/s-cone" version being more correct from a technical point of view, it's far from being a posh pronunciation on these sides of the waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Azureus wrote: »
    S-cone.
    Scon is for posh people who also partake in the occasional crumpet.
    Even though it's scon with a fada I've always found S-cone to be the poshest sounding word in the English language. I've always said scon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Aaaah the reason I keep coming back to Boards are because of threads like this.

Only Scots have any right to say Scon. The only person here that I know that says Scon also says "rest-ura" for restaurant in a pseudo-French accent.

Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Alright here we go. According to the OED, which, I assume, both speakers of Hiberno and British English will agree is the foremost authority on the correct usage of our vernacular, we are all right:
    There are two possible pronunciations of the word scone: the first rhymes with gone and the second rhymes with tone. In US English the pronunciation rhyming with tone is more common. In British English the two pronunciations traditionally have different regional and class associations, with the first pronunciation associated with the north of England and the northern working class, while the second is associated with the south and the middle class.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/scone

I love a happy ending :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I ****ing hate scones. Awful yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pace2008 wrote: »
    we are all right:
    hey... That is not how AH works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Cheese sandwich - They never get it right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

S-cone. Scon is a primary school era verb meaning the same as "shift" or "meet" or whatever the young people call it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Batsy wrote: »
    There's the Stone of Scone, a red sandstone block above which British monarchs are crowned.

Underneath St Edward's Chair, which is situated inside Westminster Abbey and has been used, since 1308, to seat the English and then British monarch during his or her coronation, there is a cavity in which the stone is supposed to be fitted.

The stone permanently resided in the cavity until 1996 when the thieving Scots nicked it and took it to Edinburgh Castle, saying they'll only return it on a temporary basis during coronations.

Anyway, the word "Scone" in "Stone of Scone" is pronounced like "skoon."

Yup.

As the OP's post had the word capitalised ie, Scone, I naturally assumed that he meant the place, not the biscuit, as WE call it ;=)

tac

Advertisement