Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Super 6 Recipe ideas?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

As I'm sure a lot of you know ALDI always have 6 items of fruit and veg seriously reduced in their "Super 6" offer.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/aldi_super_6.htm

I was thinking it'd be a good idea for a thread to have low budget recipe ideas, making as much use of the 6 ingredients as possible. You could add meat etc of course.

The current 6 are;
    1. Tomatoes - 6 pack
    2. Mushrooms - 250g
    3. Kiwis - 6 pack
    4. Salad Potatoes - 1kg
    5. Carrots and Parsnips - 500g
    6. Broccolli - 500g
    49 cent for each

I will probably be making some tomato soup and mushroom soup anyway, will put up the recipes. I'm sure the potatoes, carrots and parsnips could be roasted nicely, or in a stew... ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Great idea!

I would take the potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes and brocolli and turn them into a frittata. All you need to add are eggs and a few seasonings, which makes the recipe very cheap. Here's an idea that could be tweaked to fit the ingredients: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3890/sweet-potato-and-broccoli-frittata

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Good idea for a thread!

I roasted the tomatoes, with an onion and some cloves of garlic (still in skin) with olive oil and salt/pepper. Then blitzed and made into a soupy stew with small pasta shapes and beans, and some basil.

I also made a giant pot of vegetable stew with brocolli, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and red lentils - lunch for a week for a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'd make a veggie curry.- roasting the carrots and parsnips first. Not sure about what to do with the kiwis :rolleyes:

I sometimes find the fruit in the supersix not to be as good as the veg. It can go from unripe to moldy without ever being ripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I know that this is an Aldi super 6 thread but Tesco have bags of brown onions for 69c at the moment which would be a great addition to most recipes using the veg in the Aldi super 6. They'd cucumbers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

This thread is a great idea - I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one for inspiration!

I've had a search on the internet, and I'm planning to make these mushroom, broccoli and cheddar pasties tomorrow with my loot from aldi! They look quite tasty

http://lisaiscooking.blogspot.com/2011/11/broccoli-cheddar-and-mushroom-flipsides.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

All would be grand in a stew or soup except for the kiwi. I don't know how you'd incorporate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

All would be grand in a stew or soup except for the kiwi. I don't know how you'd incorporate that.

When it comes to fruit, I just eat it and not worry too much about recipes. I like to keep things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I would bake a fresh fillet of white fish in tin foil with some butter, onion and tomato.
    Serve with the salad potatos and lightly steamed broccoli.

Curry or soup would be the best way to use up almost all ingredients without having to add much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I made some tomato soup last night with the Aldi tomatoes. Turned out very tasty indeed, was surprised actually because when I made it before I always went for the more expensive tomatoes on the vine.

Here's the recipe with a few photos from the mobile as I went... ;) Simple stuff for you foodies but keeping it clear for fellow students' first attempts. :P

I used the slow cooker (get one!), if making on the hob in a saucepan I'd say use ~250ml extra water and cook for 1hr on medium heat.

Ingredients
    • 4 Packs Tomatoes (24 tomatoes) €5.16 €1.96
    • 1 Carrot
    • 1 Onion
    • 1 stick celery
    • 4 Bay Leaves
    • 2 vegtable stock cubes
    • Pinch of sugar
    • Pepper

Makes 2L of Tomato Soup.

Step 1: Dice the carrot, onion and celery and soften in a pan. Small bit of salt will help the onions soften.
    IMAG0111_1.jpg

Step 2: While softening the veg, wash and chop up the tomatoes, removing harder the central core, shown on the left.
    IMAG0112_1.jpg

Step 3: Add the tomatoes to the pan for 10 mins to soften.
    IMAG0113_1.jpg

Step 4: Add a generous amount of ground pepper and a good pinch of sugar.

Step 5: Add to the slow cooker now and throw in the 4 bay leaves.
    IMAG0118_1.jpg

Step 6: Mix 2 vegtable stock cubes with ~700ml of hot water and add to the slow cooker. I just left it on the slow cooker for about 3hours now, shorter would have probably been fine.
    IMAG0125_1.jpg

Step 7: Fish out the bay leaves then blend the soup. I used a hand blender into the slow cooker.

Step 8: Pass the soup through a sieve to remove all the seeds and bits of skin which tend to curl up tight. Get as much of the bulk through the sieve as possible to prevent thinning the soup too much.
    IMAG0134.jpg

Step 9: Done, 2L of delicious tomato soup made. :)
    IMAG0147_1.jpg

That's lunch sorted for the week! :D

IMAG0152_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I know that this is an Aldi super 6 thread but Tesco have bags of brown onions for 69c at the moment which would be a great addition to most recipes using the veg in the Aldi super 6.

1KG bag of onions is 79c in Aldi, hardly worth the extra trip to Tesco for 10c!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Currently eating one of the nicest meals ive ever had - and it was all made from aldi food, and also made by me...

Never posted a recipe before so bear with me...
    Its a potato & kidney bean salad

ingredients
    bag of salad potatos -sliced into 3's or 4's - boiled until pleasantly soft - no longer
    kidney beans - boiled again same

medium onion sliced fine
    2 bits of garlic sliced fine. Both onion & garlic fried up in a little oil for 2 mins.

chuck all this together in a bowl with 1 tbl spoon light mayo, 50ml cream, 1 tbl spoon wholegrain mustard, i tea spoon honey. add a little salt/pepper.

Fooking unreal!!
    Nom, nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

J o e wrote: »
    I made some tomato soup last night with the Aldi tomatoes. Turned out very tasty indeed, was surprised actually because when I made it before I always went for the more expensive tomatoes on the vine.

Good call on the soup, I did the same last night with my tomatoes, added any old veg I had in the house and put in some pasta at the end to make it into minestrone. Have four good portions in the freezer now and it cost next to nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Just made a lovely soup.
    2 pints water
    1 knot stock cube
    Little salt n peppy
    2 chopped up carrots
    4 chopped spuds
    Half head cabbage
    Big onion
    Little garlic

Chop the whole lot up and boil for 25 mins or so
    Whisk with a hand blender in the pot you boiled it in

Mom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭biccies

Great recipes, anybody any nice recipies for this week?

Advertisement