Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate course in Social Work

Options
  • 01-01-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi guys, if anyone has done this I would love to hear more about and what it is really like. My wish is to become a Social Worker as it has always been something I wanted to do. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi Any Username:

This thread is a start for finding out about courses and training:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75335808

Check out the IASW to find out more also.

If you have any specific questions (is it about the actual day to day job; if so what area are you thinking of?) there are a few social workers on here who would be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Saw those couple of posts, mainly ppl going for interview.

What I would like to know is what is covered, modules etc, is there 8:10 in semester 1 and the same semester 2. What subjects tend to be covered?

Is ther 8/ /10 subjects when on placement?
    What would assignments be like? That kind of thing.

Have no idea where would like to work but from what I hear will head to child protection first.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I can only speak for NUIG, But If you google 'nuig masters social work pdf' you will get a copy of the flyer they use, which has all the subject listings on it (sorry I cannot attach it here for some reason)
    You will get a good outline here also: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/social-work.html

The other colleges have subject listings on their websites.

on placements you are expected to complete a portfolio, so no there are no subjects as such. Assigments range from essays, presentation, portfolios and a dissertation.

I can only speak for NUIG, But If you google 'nuig masters social work pdf' you will get a copy of the flyer they use, which has all the subject listings on it (sorry I cannot attach it here for some reason)
    You will get a good outline here also: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/social-work.html

The other colleges have subject listings on their websites.

on placements you are expected to complete a portfolio, so no there are no subjects as such. Assigments range from essays, presentation, portfolios and a dissertation.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bonnie88

Hi
    Im in first year of the masters in UCD at the moment...and i love it!
    The way UCD works is that the first semester you are in college...and its not exactly nine to 5 but stuff gets moved around alot and you need time for assignments etc so it pretyy much is. Assignments wise there will be two times in the first semester where you feel like you have loads on buts its very managable and enjoyable...50 in a class so you all become buds. oh and only 2 exams at christmas. Will have 8 modules but dont run at the same time..like one might be durin the 1st 4 weeks and another module the last etc

In the second semester you will go on placement, 9 to 5 again but you have every second friday off....placement is from 5th of jan till 5th of april [well is this year] and then after that you have two weeks in college, no exams and then thats year one done....half way through second semester will have to start on thesis and thats due the following Jan.

Cant tell you much about 2nd year havent got that far...but from what i hear...its much the same. But if your interested go for it..i love it! not sure if you have any experience but if not join a helpline or sumin they love that stuff. Hope that helps
    Best of luck x

• Advertisement

Bonnie88 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im in first year of the masters in UCD at the moment...and i love it!
    The way UCD works is that the first semester you are in college...and its not exactly nine to 5 but stuff gets moved around alot and you need time for assignments etc so it pretyy much is. Assignments wise there will be two times in the first semester where you feel like you have loads on buts its very managable and enjoyable...50 in a class so you all become buds. oh and only 2 exams at christmas. Will have 8 modules but dont run at the same time..like one might be durin the 1st 4 weeks and another module the last etc

In the second semester you will go on placement, 9 to 5 again but you have every second friday off....placement is from 5th of jan till 5th of april [well is this year] and then after that you have two weeks in college, no exams and then thats year one done....half way through second semester will have to start on thesis and thats due the following Jan.

Cant tell you much about 2nd year havent got that far...but from what i hear...its much the same. But if your interested go for it..i love it! not sure if you have any experience but if not join a helpline or sumin they love that stuff. Hope that helps
    Best of luck x

Appreciate you taking the time to reply with so much detail. Exc what wanted to know. :)

Advertisement