Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for paypal scam?????

Options
  • 01-01-2012 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Please advise what scam I have done?

I asked if an item was still for sale...... That's it.

Check out my validity on Zeroin.... My username is Steveuknotts.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Have you contacted the mod via PM...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi there Steveuknotts,

With prior agreement from the cmod concerned (Dub13), I will discuss this with you here.

Without prejudice:

1. My job in airsoft adverts is (amongst other things) to protect users of the forum from getting ripped off. I have been moderating online trading communities for a substantial time now and have experienced a lot of scams & users getting ripped off therefore I am aware of a lot of the signs of such.

2. Your first post there had several things in it that got my attention.

Firstly you said to another user "Very interested. Whereabouts in the UK are you?". This is an Irish site and the user concerned had an Irish location displayed below their avatar.

3. Next, you posted "Can you call or email me asap". This is prohibited under the forum rules as all dealings must be public until such time as you need to exchange personal details. This, obviously, is to deter scammers who typically do not wish to reveal their intentions in public and therefore be found out.

4. You posted the magic words "have cash waiting." which in my long experience in dealing with online trading - and in the context of the forum and rules thereof - is how a lot of nefarious posters sign off on their offer.

Given the above and the lack of any other input from you (i.e. posts in other areas of the site), I made a call and removed your access as it was, in my view, in the best interests of the forum. I also posted a message for you to contact me via pm to work this out which you declined to do.

I'm not a member of Zeroin nor do I have any way of verifying who you are there other than there is a user there with the same name they probably have a Steve too, it's not me..

I'm all ears if you wish to discuss this. :)

Thanks,
    Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

As the user has not responded I'm closing this one down. PM me if it needs re-opening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement