Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach myself to program in VBA

Options
  • 01-01-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'd like to be able to programme in Visual Basic as it would be helpful (but not essential) for my job. I did some basic programming in C and in Matlab a few years ago - would it be relatively straightforward to teach myself?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

This site looks good:

http://www.vbtutor.net/

Oh and Google "Object Oriented Programming"

Youll need to know a fair bit about that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

If you mean VBA (as used in Excel, Word etc.) rather than Visual Basic then I learnt it (a long time ago) from just recording macros to see how the object model works and using the help. Your base knowledge from other languages should have you sorted with loops, branching etc., but if you need more help then the online resources are pretty much endless for this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

VBA for which? The object models are quite different for each application though the VB is the same. Lots of user groups on the web for VBA-EXCEL etc that will help you through it.

I found those 24 books, give you all the basics very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks for the replies. I think I might be asking the wrong questions... I use Excel a lot so when I said VBA I was referring to writing scripts for that. I may still be using the wrong jargon but hopefully you get the idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,604 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

There are a number of good online resources for Excel queries.
    I've used a particular site {I'm not connected to the site but am not sure if I can name it under the charter rules- PM me if you want the address} for occasional queries regarding VBA and found it very useful- there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people there who are willing to help (once you are willing to help yourself and are clear with your queries!) Additionally the site is pretty well organised by category and you can browse areas of interest.

Thanks for the replies. I think I might be asking the wrong questions... I use Excel a lot so when I said VBA I was referring to writing scripts for that. I may still be using the wrong jargon but hopefully you get the idea!

The macros(scripts) are VBA for excel. Its based on VB. So if you learn the basics of VB then writing the macros for VBA will be much easier.

If you do it the other way, just write macros without learning the basics of VB, you'll be fumbling around for ages.

Get a VB in 24 hrs book in the library. Do. Then get a similar book on Excel VBA. It will make more sense.

Advertisement