Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be able to do science!!

Options
  • 01-01-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi,, im going to college next year and thinking of doing science, maybe bio pharmaceutical chemistry. The "problem" is I am currently only doing physics for the leaving.

Do you think it would be possible for me to do science in general in college, and more particularly bio pharmaceutical chemistry! Or would it be too hard to catch up on the chemistry and biology side of things.

What are the hours per week for science aswell,.

Looking for responses from people who have or are studying science!

Thanks everyone,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Well I do science in UCD and for people who didn't get at least a B3 or something in Bio, Chem or maths, there's an "Intro to X" module in the first semester that catches you up. I know one guy that only did Physics too and is working towards a Pharmacology degree.
    Check does the place you want to go to do the same, and you can always email someone at the college if you have questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

thanks alot !! ya i emailed them but no reply yet!

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

UCD accept geography as a science if youre doing that?

yeah I do geography and physics,! im eligible to do the course but just wondering would the workload be extremely hard since i have to catch up on both chemistry and biology.

I'm in TCD and they too do an introductory Chem course for people who haven't done it before or have done badly in it in the LC. Biology experience isn't usually that much of a problem, as it's pretty different to LC Bio anyway so everyone's in the same boat.

Anyone I know who hasn't done Chem or Bio before has done fine, and there are additional Chem tutorials for people who haven't done it before throughout first year (I'm not sure about second year). I really wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

thanks alot lads! i might give it a go so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

ohh right sorry, must have misread it.
    I did the intro chem module this year in UCD.. was handy enough, ill letcha know if it was any use when i have to do a real chemistry module in second semester! :D

However, I did ordinary level maths for the leaving and got myself an A.. which meant i wasnt allowed to do intro maths course. I was completely lost in maths as it continued on from higher level matrices and vectors.. Should have used the maths support centre a lot earlier on as theyre the reason that i hopefully passed the exam!

Advertisement