Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security in apartment block?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I've a question!
    I bought an apartment last year in Smithfield, me and another girl are sharing it. I'm becoming more and more concerned about the security in the block, they're private apartments, but people manage to get into the courtyard, and even into the actual buildings themselves. Am terrified of being burgled, and have had someone from "Airtricity" knocking on my door-inside the locked building- late at night, which is so unnerving when you're inside a private building. Anyone can get in and hide in the halls or stairs, attack you etc.
    Can someone tell me if there is a law against people coming into private buildings like this, when they are not visiting friends etc? Does anyone have any information about this? I'll be getting on to the management company to improve security but I don't know if they will or not.
    Any information would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hi, I've a question!
    I bought an apartment last year in Smithfield, me and another girl are sharing it. I'm becoming more and more concerned about the security in the block, they're private apartments, but people manage to get into the courtyard, and even into the actual buildings themselves. Am terrified of being burgled, and have had someone from "Airtricity" knocking on my door-inside the locked building- late at night, which is so unnerving when you're inside a private building. Anyone can get in and hide in the halls or stairs, attack you etc.
    Can someone tell me if there is a law against people coming into private buildings like this, when they are not visiting friends etc? Does anyone have any information about this? I'll be getting on to the management company to improve security but I don't know if they will or not.
    Any information would be great, thanks!
    #

What access controls are in place?

Is it swipe/ fob / key?

public areas well lit?

Email the MC

Talk to neighbours -get them to email the MC... then bring it up @ the AGM...

Speak to local community guard, ask for local stats on break ins / etc... use this to reinforce your point with the MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I'll be getting on to the management company to improve security but I don't know if they will or not. ...
    I hope this doesn't sound condescending but I'm concerned you may be about to talk to the wrong people.

In a multi-unit development (MUD), like an apartment block or a private gated community with discrete houses, the management company is the one that holds title to the common areas, issues leases to the property owners, is responsible for maintaining the common areas and ensuring that correct insurance is in place to cover the these areas, They are usually responsible for waste collection, community TV aerials / satellite schemes and are also responsible for ensuring that annual maintenance fees are paid and that these are sufficient to meet current requirements and also to keep the "sinking fund" topped up.

The members of the management company are the property owners who vote at AGMs and EGMs and select the directors of the management company.

The management company may employ a managing agent to run the complex on a day-to-day basis for a fee. I believe you need to contact the managing agent, who is after all employed by you, to see what security measures are in place and if necessary you may need to contact the directors of the management company to either call an EGM about the matter or alternatively review security with the managing agent.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If this is Smithfield Market then relax, I lived there for years without a spot of bother, coming home at all hours.

Relax if so, security watch the place very well If not, consider moving in there; it's a great complex for services like security.

Advertisement