Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaing garden tools?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Happy 2012:) Seems to roll off the tongue better than 2011.

Anywho

I am wondering if any one has any know how or tips on sharpening and maintaining tools while we are still in winter?

I found a small steel yoke.

I would like to sharpen edges and I was thinkind of sanding down the handle of the big secreteurs and varnishing them as the paint that is there is cracking and coming off.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I just apply linseed oil to the handles of my digging tools to waterproof them. I think they are Ash and Hickory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

fodda wrote: »
    I just apply linseed oil to the handles of my digging tools to waterproof them. I think they are Ash and Hickory.
    Im useless .i do nothing to mine but i like d linseed oil idea,.ill definatly do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I could'nt be bothered, I just dump them and buy new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Dump them??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Happy 2012:) Seems to roll off the tongue better than 2011.

Anywho

I am wondering if any one has any know how or tips on sharpening and maintaining tools while we are still in winter?

I found a small steel yoke.

I would like to sharpen edges and I was thinkind of sanding down the handle of the big secreteurs and varnishing them as the paint that is there is cracking and coming off.

Thanks all

Take your sheers in to your local lawnmower man and get him to put an edge on them with a grinder, only costs a couple of quid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement