Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loader Tractor -advice needed

• 01-01-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a tractor with loader - 4 wd, 80 - 100 hp, 10 to 12 years old. Have 20 - 22k (inc vat) to spend. Any advice. Looking at a MF 4255, perhaps a NH TL 90 or 6635? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

tl90 here- 2002 with 9000hrs- electric shuttle
    gutsy preformer at ease with loader work or transport

youll get a lovely machine with bout 3500hrs for that kind of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Thx 4 that stanflt.

A couple of q's

1.Does the NH clock up an hour 4 every hour it's running, some older MF's only clock up an hour when running at 1850 rpm or something like that.

2. Any major repairs for that no. of hours? Any clutch or engine issues? Do you have a loader on yours?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Thx 4 that stanflt.

A couple of q's

1.Does the NH clock up an hour 4 every hour it's running, some older MF's only clock up an hour when running at 1850 rpm or something like that.

2. Any major repairs for that no. of hours? Any clutch or engine issues? Do you have a loader on yours?

60mins in an hour:D
    only problem i ever had was with the loader cable rubbing of the brake line and over time wore a hole-had to replace brake line

wet clutch never a problem

have a tanco t100loader on it which is worn out-outfit is due to be replaced-looking at a ts115a with 2500hrs or t6030 new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 masseys scrap and zetors no better

i would not be a fan of the 4255 as a loader tractor.there slightly gutless,a TL or a TS new holland make a great loader tractor.if your looking for something with a bit of go in it a TL100 is your tractor.great hp to weight ratio.A TL100 would have more go than a ts100 in my opinion due to less weight but the ts100 offers an sle gearbox and bigger cab with a few toys and proven 40series new holland engine gearbox and back end,the TL is from a very reliable fiat background.both have there strong points.i have a ts115 turbo with quicke loader (9,000hrs on the clock),superb tractor but maybe a bit big for your needs? i moved up from a 105hp loader tractor to a 130hp loader tractor.its great to half plenty of horses under the bonnet for certain loader work and not wishing for that extra few hp.ive never had any problems with her so far,she got clutch packs at 6500hrs and a new set of brakes at 7000hrs.but thats not a fault,thats maintenance if you ask me

i would not be a fan of the 4255 as a loader tractor.there slightly gutless,a TL or a TS new holland make a great loader tractor.if your looking for something with a bit of go in it a TL100 is your tractor.great hp to weight ratio.A TL100 would have more go than a ts100 in my opinion due to less weight but the ts100 offers an sle gearbox and bigger cab with a few toys and proven 40series new holland engine gearbox and back end,the TL is from a very reliable fiat background.both have there strong points.i have a ts115 turbo with quicke loader (9,000hrs on the clock),superb tractor but maybe a bit big for your needs? i moved up from a 105hp loader tractor to a 130hp loader tractor.its great to half plenty of horses under the bonnet for certain loader work and not wishing for that extra few hp.ive never had any problems with her so far,she got clutch packs at 6500hrs and a new set of brakes at 7000hrs.but thats not a fault,thats maintenance if you ask me

have you left hand shuttle or the awkward right hand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

have a 00 tl 80 with a loader and she is a pure gift around the yard,but sometimes i could do with a few more horse s pulling the tank on the road or mowing.every now and again i get notions of trading for more power but im very fond of her

Thx 4 that gents? What are TL's like on fuel? Ive heard they are pretty good? Better than MF Hp for HP?

stanflt wrote: »
    have you left hand shuttle or the awkward right hand
    no shes right hand,i dont think it awkward at all,and i drive alot of other l/h shuttle tractors and come and jump in the ts then and dont think nothing of it.i could be just used to it but never found it a problem at any point

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Thx 4 that gents? What are TL's like on fuel? Ive heard they are pretty good? Better than MF Hp for HP?

yes they are very easy on it,if this is what you mean by hp for hp,a tl100 rated at 100hp has more go in it that a 4255 massey ferguson rated at 100hp,this is because the tl is lighter.i know a man with a ts90 turbo just over 100hp with a trima loader fitted,he pulls a 14x8 tandem axle donnelly trailer with 12 tonnes of sand in it for about 15miles, he then uses the loader for lifting a bucket of sand weighing 1tonne when full to fill 1tonne bags,tractor handles it no problem.also,take into account the trailer holds 12tonnes of sand but the trailer weights over 3 tonnes on its own when empty so thats a load of just over 15tonnes behind the tractor,the way the tractor handles it is impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

We have a 00 4245 with a loader. around 3.5k hours in the clock, has never let us down for what we do. In the summer it topps with an 8 foot fully offset topper (linkage mounted), stacks bales, spreads minure, turf, rolling, turning hay, we dont do our own slurry. the 4200 were the last machines to be built in the coventry factory if I think. If you are getting a 4200 series, try to get one with a snoopy bonnet, makes loader work a lot easier, especially when bringing in bales!

I have also spent a lot of time in New Holland TL70 tractors (both new and older models). They are also great machines, however, I my self would prefer to be spending 8 hours a day in the MF if doing loader work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

no shes right hand,i dont think it awkward at all,and i drive alot of other l/h shuttle tractors and come and jump in the ts then and dont think nothing of it.i could be just used to it but never found it a problem at any point
    Would it not be akward for loader work with the loader joystick on the right as well?

5live wrote: »
    Would it not be akward for loader work with the loader joystick on the right as well?

thats what everyone keeps saying to me but no,i rarely be changing direction and using the loader at the same time,i find it ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Farmtrader

Check this David Browne out. It has a loader maybe a little rusty:)
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/farming/mayo/-/david-brown-996-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

If it were me I wouldnt go within 10 miles of a 4255 Massey. The lad I work for often borrows one in the summer when the pressure is on a silage and I hate it. I hate the shuttle, the stupid gearbox in them, they are very light enough on the back for loader work and they feel underpowered and in genaral flimsy, It always feels like its going to fall apart to me. Hydraulics are fairly quick though. Have a 94 fiat 100-90 and would take it any day before one of them masseys, at least its good and solid. Fiat hydraulics are crap though and no shuttles in the 90 series. Dont know much about NH but the tl series are supposed to be the best of both fiat and ford. The most important thing for a loader is quick hydraulics in my opinion, Theres nothing worse than waiting and waiting for a loader to lift!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

MF 4270 great powerfull lively tractor for loader work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluespruce

i have the new holland tl 90 myself and recently bought the t6030 cant fault the tl90 at all its a bit light when carrying load on fornt and back, would prefer the tl90 to the t6030! have rossmore loaders on the two of them and the loaders are brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just wondering, your probably talking over €10,000 incl VAT+fitting are you for a NEW loader for these size tractors? :confused:

Will have to start saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Been saying to myself, every year for the past 12 years, I really want a loader or trade the tractor for a trac / loader combo.
    Every time I look at the cost involved, I postpone it till the following year.

Thing is, one year follows the other, and I get by grand without it, so now I have decided, it's off the agenda. I never really needed it in the first place, when I look back;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Been saying to myself, every year for the past 12 years, I really want a loader or trade the tractor for a trac / loader combo.
    Every time I look at the cost involved, I postpone it till the following year.

Thing is, one year follows the other, and I get by grand without it, so now I have decided, it's off the agenda. I never really needed it in the first place, when I look back;)

I can assure you, when you do get a tractor with a loader you will kick yourself for putting it off for so long. It is by a mile the most useful equipment you can have on the farm. I never take it off, I have a job for it every day. Bales, Bog, Fencing, Cleaning Sheds, Etc, Etc,

Muckit wrote: »
    Just wondering, your probably talking over €10,000 incl VAT+fitting are you for a NEW loader for these size tractors? :confused:

Will have to start saving!

I think you can get a new Rossmore FL 45 loader fitted for somewhere between €5 - €6k inc vat depending on spec. I was quoted €3.5k by Rossmore before Christmas for just a bare loader boom and got a quote for a trima/quicke @ 3.6k again for just a boom.

Agree with yessam, once you have a loader you'll find a job for it every day and rarely take it off.

If you keep a look out you could pick up a good second hand loader for 2.5k to 3.5k , joystick, brackets, etc. Get one with a short reach boom, handier around the yard getting into sheds etc.

• Advertisement

Anyway back to original post, I am coming down more on the side of a New Holland than a Massey as there seems to be more of them available and they seem to be couple of grand cheaper than an equivalent MF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

yessam wrote: »
    I can assure you, when you do get a tractor with a loader you will kick yourself for putting it off for so long. It is by a mile the most useful equipment you can have on the farm. I never take it off, I have a job for it every day. Bales, Bog, Fencing, Cleaning Sheds, Etc, Etc,

+1, a tractor is no good without a loader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

yessam wrote: »

+1

ours has never left the tractor!

Advertisement