Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to make me timber driveway gates

Options
  • 01-01-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Looking for someone to make me some timber gates, about 14ft long & 7ft high.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Roughly whereabouts are you, and is it a 14ft opening, as in two gates or a single gate? Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've made a lot of them over the years...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ya, I'd need two gates. I'm out past Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I know a guy who does this stuff, I'll get in touch with him and if he can do it I'll pass along his details to you!
    Please don't just abandon the thread and let me know if you find someone in the meantime. :)
    Joe.

I know a guy who does this stuff, I'll get in touch with him and if he can do it I'll pass along his details to you!
    Please don't just abandon the thread and let me know if you find someone in the meantime. :)
    Joe.

It's not abandonded, I'm still looking thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you can it is much better to have a metal frame with wooden inserts. All wood gates are a disaster with our climate. If you get galvanised steel frames then the timber just bolts on & can easily be replaced. Also they will never warp & will always close perfectly. A few of the Galway fence & gate people so them but you could also get a metalwork place to make the frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i know someone who can do that for ya . pm me ur number and i will forward it on to him

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭WildWater

Discodog wrote: »
    If you can it is much better to have a metal frame with wooden inserts. All wood gates are a disaster with our climate. If you get galvanised steel frames then the timber just bolts on & can easily be replaced. Also they will never warp & will always close perfectly. A few of the Galway fence & gate people so them but you could also get a metalwork place to make the frames.

That's exactly what I have and it's a great job. If this is what you are looking for PM me and I'll give you the details of the guy who did mine.

WildWater wrote: »
    That's exactly what I have and it's a great job. If this is what you are looking for PM me and I'll give you the details of the guy who did mine.

Thank's pm sent, would you mind attaching a pic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

I installed wooden gates 14ft wide but not quite as high on metal frames with teak timber. In my experience if you are having electric gate openers it might be worth considering a design that will allow some air flow through gates as gates of this size will be difficult open/close in windy conditions. I installed these myself and am able to maintain motors etc. but could be a bit of a pain otherwise.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ned,

Ya Galway Rush said that alright about letting the wind blow through. They wont be electric, so no hassle there.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Thanks Ned,

Ya Galway Rush said that alright about letting the wind blow through. They wont be electric, so no hassle there.

The simple way to do this is to fit the timber boards alternately on each side of the frame. You end up with a solid opaque gate but it has gaps to allow the wind to disperse. It also looks less heavy & more decorative than a standard panel gate. One other piece of advice. Ensure that the end grain of the top of each board is well sealed. The boards rot because water gets in at the ends. Also the boards should be treated after they are drilled to prevent water rotting the wood via the bolt holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

WildWater wrote: »

Can I ask what sort of price you paid? I'm looking for gates at the minute but can't get over the prices!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can I ask what sort of price you paid? I'm looking for gates at the minute but can't get over the prices!

It's pretty easy to see how much they will cost the supplier. You only have to add up the cost of materials & the rest is labour. Steel is expensive but you don't need a lot to make the frames. The cost will go up for galvanised steel. The timber is easy to cost.

Advertisement