Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "bathroom" paint really worth the high price??

• 01-01-2012 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is the likes of the Dulux and Crown bathroom and kitchen paint really as good as it claims to be??

Its mad money for a 2.5 litre tub of it.Something in the region of 30 euro a tub.

Would normal "mid sheen" white ceiling paint work just as well on the ceilings of a bathroom and a kitchen?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Not sure if it's worth €30 but there's an additive in those types of paint as bathrooms/kitchens are high moisture areas. If you were to use normal mid sheen or ceiling paint in all probability it'll start to flake off from exposure to heat/steam on a regular basis. It'll need to be brushed down and re-painted.

€30 is expensive but it's bad enought having to paint a ceiling once nevermind twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wonder if the likes of Crown Trade in Coolock or Fleetwood Trade in Finglas would sell it cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Johnstone Paints might be worth a try too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

In my experience of a mouldy gaff, it's well worth it. Painted first with white Matt emulsion. Black spots everywhere within 6 months. Lesson learned. Bathroom paint must be on it 3 years now, holding up well. Also used it on a cold bedroom wall with good results.

Zinsser is also very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

bathroom/kitchen paint its very expensive if u ask for acrylic eggshell in any paint shop u will get same product for half the price. johnstones acrylic eggshell its good. best available paint for bathrooms is "perma white" by zinsser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The original bathroom paints were just 'acrylic eggshell' with a different name on the tin to sell them. A suitable bathroom paint will avoid you having to deal with mould/mildew over the life of the paint. Once you've had to bleach down and repaint a bathroom to deal with this problem you quickly realise it's worth the few extra quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

i have used the insulated paint that woodies sell, it claims to deal with condensation and mould too. It was 75 euro for 5 L , however they also sell the product that you add to a 5L tin of your own choice of paint, its 25 euro and it turns 5L of ordinary paint into the the something that has better insulation and mould resistant properties. I don't believe all i read about the product, there is conflicting info on the web about it, but I have used it on a solid floor under lino and inside the house on an external wall and the surface feels a little warmer that's all the pushing I'm prepared to do on the product, but it was handy as I had spare left over paint that i simply added it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Never rated it myself. It's just acrylic eggshell with some antimould additive.
    Mould shouldn't be a problem in most homes... I have a cold bathroom with matt emulsion on the ceilings and washable matt (acrylic too, just no sheen) on the walls for years now and no mould problems.

To be fair 30 quid isn't that expensive for 2.5lt of off the shelf branded colour...you'll pay about 22-25 for it in matt/softsheen. Usually 2.5 lt is more than enough for standard bathroom. Paint is like soft drinks...the smaller the container, the more costly per litre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just to follow up on this thread.I aqquired a 5 litre tin of Zinsser Perma-White
    paint today in Fleetwood Trade Paints.

On the back of the tin it says its mold and moisture resistant.

Is it steam resistant too???

Will this paint hold up to the steam comming from a shower.

Im also thinking of painting the kitchen ceiling with it too.

What you rekon for a kitchen??

Thanks.

Advertisement