Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some info please?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all
    Ive had a look round but cant find the info im looking for. Im 28 and a qualified diesel fitter so have no problem with a visa. My wife however is 33 with no recognised training. Can anyone advise of the best visa for us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi all
    Ive had a look round but cant find the info im looking for. Im 28 and a qualified diesel fitter so have no problem with a visa. My wife however is 33 with no recognised training. Can anyone advise of the best visa for us?

The best visa is a 175 Skilled migrant visa IMO. Have a read of the FAQ on the first page of the forum and see how you go.

Welcome to Boards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kitbuilder123

Yea i thought that myself but what about for my wife? And thanks for the welcome, its good to be here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Your wife goes as your wife on the visa you get. She does not need her own class of Visa.

Thats the job, thanks a lot. I cant be doing all the work!!:D Great forum foing here, dont know how it took this long for me to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Kitbuilder

As your wife is 33 a working holiday visa is not an option for her so therefore a skilled visa (either a 175 or 176) is a good option to explore. In a family unit such as husband and wife only one of you needs to satisfy the basic criteria such as age, recent work experience,qualifications etc and both of you will need to pass medical and character criteria.

Please note skilled visas are expected to change on July 1 2012 so I suggest if you are serious about making a move that you act quickly so you can lodge a visa under the current visa program.

Good Luck, Liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Please note skilled visas are expected to change on July 1 2012 so I suggest if you are serious about making a move that you act quickly so you can lodge a visa under the current visa program.

Good Luck, Liz

Hey Liz, what is changing there? Anything major?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Plug

Yes, major changes. In summary it will be a case of applicants lodging an Expression of Interest and hoping for an invitation from Immigration before you can apply for the visa. So the higher the points test result you get the better however the negatives include you paying for some stages of the process and no guarantee of an invitation due to quotas on the number of people per occupation and others getting higher points than you. It is hoped new system will be in place July 2012 but it may be 2013 before the first invitations are sent out. Keep an eye out for updates on www.immi.gov.au.

Liz

Thanks for the info. Its all very bemusing and im not a fan of being bemused!
    Hopefully will work out. Im glad my father said "get a trade or move out, you will always use it" now though. Seems like he might have known what he was talking about after all. Seems to be a shortage of diesel mechanics over there

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi Kitbuilder123,

As a qualified diesel fitter, there are actually a number of options open to you and your family to migrate on a permanent basis to Australia.
    • The 175 Skilled Independent visa is one option.
    • However the 176 Skilled Sponsored visa may be a better option. This visa requires you to live and work in the nominated state for the first 2 years however this visa class is processed with higher priority than the 175 independent visa so for this reason the 176 visa is better. You could be waiting a long time (years) before the 175 visa is processed by Immigration.
    All that said, as a qualified diesel fitter, if you have a JOB OFFER from an Australian employer - there are other visa options for you and your family too:
    • 457 Sponsorship visa - which is a temporary visa - not ideal if your plan is to remain out there but it will get you out there very quickly, allow you to work for an employter for up to 4 years and in the meantime you can consider other permanent visa options.
    • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme - grants you and your family permanent residency in a regional part of Australia (including Perth). The employer must offer you a position for at least 2 years, or
    • Employer Nomination Scheme - grants you and your family permanent residency to work for your employer who is based in any part of Australia. The employer must offer you a position for at least 3 years
    This is a brief overview of the main visa options for you. Note that visa requirements vary but this is a clearer picture of your options.

I am in contact with employers looking for qualified diesel fitters so let me know if you need a hand to source a job if you want to go this route.

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

Thanks Declan, that helps a lot:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

No hassle Kitbuilder123 - Best of Luck

Declan Clune

Advertisement