Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Sports Hub

Options
  • 01-01-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭

As an Eircom customer I am informed that I have can have access to the Eircom sports hub.

Yet I cannot.

Apparently Eircom insists that I use a particular piece of costly proprietary software to run my PC before they will give me access.

So, at present, this service is not available to 'Eircom customers', but only to those who have purchased licences to run, for instance, a Windows operating system on their PC.

When is this situation going to change?
    When can I, as a customer of many many years, begin to access this service from my PC?

When will the service be made available to those of us not prepared to purchase a proprietary software licence just to receive this service?

Thank you for any information you can supply which will give me a tentative date from which I can expect to access the service.

regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Not really sure I understand your query : " particular piece of costly proprietary software to run my PC before they will give me access".

If you mean being able to access or view eircom SportsHub? Then ALL THAT IS REQUIRED TO VIEW EIRCOM SPORTSHUB IS AN INTERNET BROWSER.

If you'd prefer to use a different Internet browser, other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer, you're very welcome to.

I've just tested eircom's fantastic goals service on SportsHub using the Free Firefox browser. Works perfect for me and it's free to download or obtain from Mozilla :

"A chance to see all the Barclays Premier League Goals - bit.ly/dUsm4Y Including big upsets for the top two "

Let me know if there is any specific areas on eircom SportsHub that you need help with or would require further information on.

We have been delighted with the positive response we've received for all out valued added services including eircom MusicHub, StudyHub and of course SportsHub. We also value any constructive opinions on how to improve these services for our customers.

If you need specific Technical help with SportsHub or any other VAS service, don't forget you can avail of direct Broadband Support (longest opening hours):

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

Please see some very recent feedback on Twitter on our VaS Service.. MusicHub : below:
    Tweets Top /

1 new tweet

eircom-logo_normal.jpg
    MusicHub - Unlimited Streaming - Millions of Tracks - Free to eircom Broadband Customers #eircomMusicHub - bit.ly/dHQ0N8

2:20 PM - 29 Dec 11 via web · Details

@KTobin78 Hi KTobin78, seen your tweet. We have had great response to #MusicHub so far. If you are an eircom customer it is free to sign up

In reply to Keith Tobin Hide conversation
    9:10 AM - 28 Dec 11 via TweetDeck · Details

kentlk_normal.jpgKen Armstrong @kenarmstrong1 2 Jan
    Eircom MusicHub is pretty bloody brilliant, I reckon.

1:41 PM - 2 Jan 12 via web · Details

As an Eircom customer I am informed that I have can have access to the Eircom sports hub.

Yet I cannot.

Apparently Eircom insists that I use a particular piece of costly proprietary software to run my PC before they will give me access.

So, at present, this service is not available to 'Eircom customers', but only to those who have purchased licences to run, for instance, a Windows operating system on their PC.

When is this situation going to change?
    When can I, as a customer of many many years, begin to access this service from my PC?

When will the service be made available to those of us not prepared to purchase a proprietary software licence just to receive this service?

Thank you for any information you can supply which will give me a tentative date from which I can expect to access the service.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think this should say it all .... Eircom requires that I use a proprietary, costly operating system before I can have access .... so my original question remains ....

Thank you.

jmX6dBKYA5RZF.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I think this should say it all .... Eircom requires that I use a proprietary, costly operating system before I can have access .... so my original question remains ....

Thank you.

jmX6dBKYA5RZF.jpeg

I wouldn't say that.

Finally able to edit this post!

This is another example of what I meet ...

jX2s5hFV2JRA6.jpeg

I wouldn't say that.

Maybe you wouldn't, but I certainly would and did.

I consider €149 costly ..... particularly as the only reason for buying it would be to access the Eircom Sports Hub ........

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/shop

links me to

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_subcat=1&id=5857&sid=14&cid=5854

Of course if I wanted something comparable to what I am presently using then the price is €219

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I suspect the reason is that Windows is by far and away the most widely used operating system, trailed by Mac and then Linux.

It simply isn't cost effective for Eircom to support a piece of software that isn't all that popular by comparison. The vast vast majority of their customers will be using Windows PCs.

I'm sure you can understand that it's simply impossible to cater for everyone.

I suspect the reason is that Windows is by far and away the most widely used operating system, trailed by Mac and then Linux.

It simply isn't cost effective for Eircom to support a piece of software that isn't all that popular by comparison. The vast vast majority of their customers will be using Windows PCs.

I'm sure you can understand that it's simply impossible to cater for everyone.

What do you mean by 'support'?
    All I want is access to the streams ..... which presently is deliberately blocked by Eircom, as the two pics I posted show clearly, based on the OS I am using only.

So what would you reckon Eircom would have to do if that block was not in place?

I am sure you can understand that artificially blocking access, based on OS being used, is something that Eircom is doing.

If I had access and was unable to play the streams, that would be a different matter altogether.
    Then any statement that they 'do not support Linux' would be understandable (if not very acceptable).

Presently they block my access, so I have no opportunity to see if I can make use of the service they are offering to customers.

So my question stands to the Eircom representatives on Boards ........ when may I expect to be allowed access to the service being offered?

Thanks for your post,

I am looking into your query further with Technical Support. Once I've received a reply I will advise you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

What do you mean by 'support'?
    All I want is access to the streams ..... which presently is deliberately blocked by Eircom, as the two pics I posted show clearly, based on the OS I am using only.

So what would you reckon Eircom would have to do if that block was not in place?

I am sure you can understand that artificially blocking access, based on OS being used, is something that Eircom is doing.

If I had access and was unable to play the streams, that would be a different matter altogether.
    Then any statement that they 'do not support Linux' would be understandable (if not very acceptable).

Presently they block my access, so I have no opportunity to see if I can make use of the service they are offering to customers.

So my question stands to the Eircom representatives on Boards ........ when may I expect to be allowed access to the service being offered?

Thanks for your post,

I am looking into your query further with Technical Support. Once I've received a reply I will advise you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thank you.

I look forward to a resolution of the situation.

regards.

Thanks for your post,

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    Anything to report on this situation?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Ant,
    Anything to report on this situation?

Thanks.

Hi Johnboy1951,

Apologies for the delay. Have been away on eircom Forum duty:

The response I received was: .

Firstly Linux is not really supported for Setanta, as the player was initially developed to work with Windows operation systems, as it’s uses a Windows media player.

However it will work with Mac OS if the user downloads a Flip Mac plug- in.

We are however actively looking to upgrade our player to a flash based format in the near future so it will be more compatible for other browsers and operating systems.

Thanks for waiting on my reply and again sorry for the delay.

All the best,
    Ant

Firstly Linux is not really supported for Setanta, as the player was initially developed to work with Windows operation systems, as it’s uses a Windows media player.

We are however actively looking to upgrade our player to a flash based format in the near future so it will be more compatible for other browsers and operating systems.

If the problem is the player chosen, then a simple solution would be ..... instead of discovering I use Linux and stopping me dead, I could instead be directed to a stream that I can use a Linux native media player to view the content.
    That leaves the 'support' work for the player in the Linux users' hands, while at the same time allowing Eircom customers access to the services provided.

Surely something of this nature is a trivial matter to implement?

All I ask is that I am allowed past this artificial barrier, based on OS.

regards

Is there any further information forthcoming besides that quoted below?

What about simply unblocking Linux users?

A response to that question would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I have one of those proprietary operating systems (Mac OS X Lion) with which the service is claimed to be compatible, but I can't view it either. The FAQ says:

Does this service work on an Apple Mac Computer?
    Setanta Sports on eircom.net is fully compatible with all major operating systems and web browsers. In order to use the service on an Apple Mac you may need to download the correct media playing software.

If you are unable to view the demo or have problems viewing any content
    on your Apple Mac run the Intelli Help application to diagnose and
    resolve the issue.

I have downloaded and installed the required software - Flip4Mac, but no joy. The demo referred to in the FAQ is interesting, as it is a Flash movie, which I can of course view perfectly well, but it doesn't in any way help me diagnose the problem viewing the WMV content, the intellihelp just returns an error code.

I filled in the online query form and was told initially to upgrade my Windows Media Player, when I pointed out again that I was using a mac I was told there is no support for Apple Macs.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with Mac OS X Lion and Eircom SportsHub?

Hi dubred,

Thanks for your query.

If still having a problem viewing Setanta Sports with your Apple Mac OS, please contact our Support Team. They will look further into your issue and be able to advise you.

Just as a reminder, Setanta sports is available from the Eircom site, the url is http://sports.eircom.net/setanta/

Support for Setanta Sports is only provided via email and eircom Setanta Sports Support.

Should a customer have any issues regarding this content they should visit http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ and under ''Problem type:'' drop down menu select ''Trouble Using an Eircom Broadband Service'' and then select ''Setanta''

Kind regards,
    Ant
    dubred wrote: »
    Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I have one of those proprietary operating systems (Mac OS X Lion) with which the service is claimed to be compatible, but I can't view it either. The FAQ says:

Does this service work on an Apple Mac Computer?
    Setanta Sports on eircom.net is fully compatible with all major operating systems and web browsers. In order to use the service on an Apple Mac you may need to download the correct media playing software.

If you are unable to view the demo or have problems viewing any content
    on your Apple Mac run the Intelli Help application to diagnose and
    resolve the issue.

I have downloaded and installed the required software - Flip4Mac, but no joy. The demo referred to in the FAQ is interesting, as it is a Flash movie, which I can of course view perfectly well, but it doesn't in any way help me diagnose the problem viewing the WMV content, the intellihelp just returns an error code.

I filled in the online query form and was told initially to upgrade my Windows Media Player, when I pointed out again that I was using a mac I was told there is no support for Apple Macs.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with Mac OS X Lion and Eircom SportsHub?

Hi Ant

Thanks for your reply, but I have already been through that process, but I have not had any satisfaction from it.

dubred

Well dubred,
    you did at least cause another rely to the thread. ;)

Your problem is completely different to mine apparently.
    I have never had any problem playing WMV or any other video files.

My problem is I am not allowed access to the files!

It is becoming apparent Ant does not want to address my issue ....... which is one of blocked access.

regards

Hi Ant

Thanks for your reply, but I have already been through that process, but I have not had any satisfaction from it.

dubred

Hi dubred,

Thanks for post.

I know you've mentioned that you have contacted Setanta email support. However please re-contact them if you're unsatisfied with their first response /or go directly to the link below. Setanta Sports Support will be able to advise you if any further steps are available. They will also be able to advise on where you can obtain further support (for this Apple Mac OS viewing problem).

As advised previously, Setanta Sports is only supported via email. If you have any issues regarding this content please visit http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ and under ''Problem type:'' drop down menu select ''Trouble Using an Eircom Broadband Service'' and then select ''Setanta''.

Let me know if you get a similar response when you log your Applie Mac OS query viewing Setanta Sports. Appreciate if you find a solution to this through the manufacturer that you would post this here also.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Well dubred,
    you did at least cause another rely to the thread. ;)

Your problem is completely different to mine apparently.
    I have never had any problem playing WMV or any other video files.

My problem is I am not allowed access to the files!

It is becoming apparent Ant does not want to address my issue ....... which is one of blocked access.

regards

Hi Johboy1951,

The following is the reply I received from Technical Support to your query on using Linux to view Setant Sports on eircom.

If there is any further issue you need addressed by Technical Support I can follow this up with them.

If you need to contact Setanta Sports directly yourself, please use the following :

Should you have any issues regarding this content please visit http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ and under ''Problem type:'' drop down menu select ''Trouble Using an Eircom Broadband Service'' and then select ''Setanta''

Regards,
    Ant

As advised previously, Setanta Sports is only supported via email. If you have any issues regarding this content please visit http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ and under ''Problem type:'' drop down menu select ''Trouble Using an Eircom Broadband Service'' and then select ''Setanta''.

Hi Ant

This (http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/) is the online form I was referring to when I said I had already contacted support. I had several back-and-forth exchanges which culminated in the Mac not supported response, I just find this strange in view of the statement that it is compatible with all major browsers and operating systems, I am pretty sure Mac and Firefox fall into this category (and Linux for that matter). Also in your reply to Johnboy1951 Technical Support say "However it will work with Mac OS if the user downloads a Flip Mac plug- in."

I did find on the Flip4Mac site an issue with Lion where it is necessary to install and configure Quicktime 7 in addition to the out of the box Quicktime X, but this made no difference for me (might help others reading this).

Regards
    dubred

• Advertisement

quick update:

It is working now, for the first time since I got the mac last September. I have not changed anything since I last checked it, not even restarted the browser.

quick update:

It is working now, for the first time since I got the mac last September. I have not changed anything since I last checked it, not even restarted the browser.

Dubred ...... glad to note your situation is resolved :D

Happy viewing!

Hi Johboy1951,

The following is the reply I received from Technical Support to your query on using Linux to view Setant Sports on eircom.

Yes Ant ..... I have already responded to your post containing that information.
    If there is any further issue you need addressed by Technical Support I can follow this up with them.

As posted I would be grateful if you would determine if I can be allowed access to the streams/files and not blocked only because I happen to be using Linux.
    MAC and Linux as you probably know are from the same OS 'stable' (Unix based/Unix like) so there should be no difficulty on the basis of OS.

There is a piece of software available for the MAC, which apparently allows it to display WMV files.
    I do not require such an addition.

All I require is access to the files ..... and not be blocked because I am using Linux.

Hopefully the above makes it clear.
    If not then please post and I will answer as best I can.

regards

Hi Johnboy1951,

Thanks again.

Technical Support advise the streams and program files are not recognised by your OS. In other words, your OS doesn't recognise the code and as such it appears as though the OS is blocked.

The mac plug in is basically additional codecs which allow Mac OS to read the files and view the Setanta streams. Rather like Windows needs additional files to view Divx, and doesn't come prepacked with the codecs.

It may be possible to find codecs for Linux online, which will allow you to view these streams. I don't use Linux myself for viewing Setanta streams. Instead, like many, I use Windows and either Firefox or MS Internet Explorer to view Setanta Streams online.

The main reason why Windows is used is probably evident in that about 90-95% of users will be on Window OS. Initially it was important to get this right for the majority of customers using the eircom SportsHub service.

As said, we are actively working on this and hope to provide a compatible platform in the near future, which will allow other Internet browsers and OS to view Setanta Sports.

I hope this helps you.

If you need further technical help on any eircom related issue, call directly into Broadband Technical Support on : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant
    Yes Ant ..... I have already responded to your post containing that information.

As posted I would be grateful if you would determine if I can be allowed access to the streams/files and not blocked only because I happen to be using Linux.
    MAC and Linux as you probably know are from the same OS 'stable' (Unix based/Unix like) so there should be no difficulty on the basis of OS.

There is a piece of software available for the MAC, which apparently allows it to display WMV files.
    I do not require such an addition.

All I require is access to the files ..... and not be blocked because I am using Linux.

Hopefully the above makes it clear.
    If not then please post and I will answer as best I can.

regards

Hi Johnboy1951,

Thanks again.

Technical Support advise the streams and program files are not recognised by your OS. In other words, your OS doesn't recognise the code and as such it appears as though the OS is blocked.

The mac plug in is basically additional codecs which allow Mac OS to read the files and view the Setanta streams. Rather like Windows needs additional files to view Divx, and doesn't come prepacked with the codecs.

It may be possible to find codecs for Linux online, which will allow you to view these streams. I don't use Linux myself for viewing Setanta streams. Instead, like many, I use Windows and either Firefox or MS Internet Explorer to view Setanta Streams online.

The main reason why Windows is used is probably evident in that about 90-95% of users will be on Window OS. Initially it was important to get this right for the majority of customers using the eircom SportsHub service.

As said, we are actively working on this and hope to provide a compatible platform in the near future, which will allow other Internet browsers and OS to view Setanta Sports.

I hope this helps you.

If you need further technical help on any eircom related issue, call directly into Broadband Technical Support on : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    Thanks for following up on this .... appreciated.
    Technical Support advise the streams and program files are not recognised by your OS.

Can you please advise what the streams consist of so that I might be able to add whatever is necessary to my install.

I am unaware of any video stream/file that I am unable to play, so this promises to be interesting at least, and hopefully fruitful.

Thank you for the reply, and I look forward to receiving the information so that I might manage to access the service.

regards.

Hi Johnboy1951,

I will check with Technical Support to see if they have more information which they can add which may help you. I will alsos search online.

Will advise afterwards,
    Ant
    Hi Ant,
    Thanks for following up on this .... appreciated.

Can you please advise what the streams consist of so that I might be able to add whatever is necessary to my install.

I am unaware of any video stream/file that I am unable to play, so this promises to be interesting at least, and hopefully fruitful.

Thank you for the reply, and I look forward to receiving the information so that I might manage to access the service.

regards.

Hi Johnboy1951,

I will check with Technical Support to see if they have more information which they can add which may help you. I will alsos search online.

Will advise afterwards,
    Ant

Thank you ;)

Thank you ;)

Hi Johnboy,

I've had a look online for additional codecs for watching video streams on linux. There are quite a few blogs on different versions of the OS - Most Linux video players will be able to play all the formats available.

I particularly liked this website, although it may not be fully relevant to your problem :

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialVideo.html

Technical Support came back with their stated position, so I'm unable to shed any more light on this for you.

I was in contact with the online team looking after Setanta and have raised this with them. They are aware of this and have assured me that they will be dealing with it, while they are hoping that the streams will be available for the likes of Linux and other browsers soon.

I will post on our Forum and here on Boards as soon as I have more information.

Contact me any time and I will check this again.

All the best,
    Ant

Hi Johnboy,

I've had a look online for additional codecs for watching video streams on linux. There are quite a few blogs on different versions of the OS - Most Linux video players will be able to play all the formats available.

I particularly liked this website, although it may not be fully relevant to your problem :

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialVideo.html

Technical Support came back with their stated position, so I'm unable to shed any more light on this for you.

I was in contact with the online team looking after Setanta and have raised this with them. They are aware of this and have assured me that they will be dealing with it, while they are hoping that the streams will be available for the likes of Linux and other browsers soon.

I will post on our Forum and here on Boards as soon as I have more information.

Contact me any time and I will check this again.

All the best,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    As I mentioned I have no difficulty playing any video files or streams in my OS.
    That is why I asked that I be unblocked from accessing the service from Eircom.

As you reported above there is an alleged difficulty in my OS playing the stream ..... so knowing what THAT stream is would allow me to know why I cannot play it.

My reading of what is happening is that it is not at all related to the stream, because I cannot access the stream!

But, based on what you have reported, if you can now tell me what kind of stream it is I can investigate further.

So, please can I have that info?

This has nothing at all to do with which browser is in use. Linux is not a browser as this quote seems to imply "the likes of Linux and other browsers".

As my posted pics show clearly, my PC is blocked from accessing the stream based solely on OS in use, not browser.

The only thing left is either to know what codecs/whatever the stream is using
    as that seems to be the official answer above ......... or to unblock me and allow me access to the service.

So, could you please

tell me what is the specification of the stream being used that your technical people claim my PC is unable to handle?

It is pointless searching the internet not knowing what to look for!

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnboy,

I apologise for linking your OS with a 'browser'. Wasn't intentional. Clealy insulting all my touchy red hat friends here in Technical Support.

Technical Support are of course my authority on all techncial issues and have advised me that NO Operating system is actually being blocked from viewing Setanta streams. They advise, that it is the codecs that are the issue and, for the moment, this is not directly supported by broadband Support. They advise they are unaware of the unique code /or streaming format used in the Setanta Stream. Though they suggest that it likely it maybe licensed and difficult for either Setanta or eircom to give out online.

The online team responsible for eircom SportsHub do envisage Setanta streams will be available to other browsers and different OS in the near future. As soon as I have more information on this I will post this here.

I'm afraid that's all I can say about it for the minute. Over 95% of users are unfortunately using Windows or Mac so they are largely accommodated. As these would be the predominant OS our support is currently geared towards supporting as many of our customers as possible. As said, it is likely that other browsers and different OS will indeed be supported in the near future. If you need further assistance or need to contact eircom Broadband Support direct:

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Best wishes,
    Ant
    Hi Ant,
    As I mentioned I have no difficulty playing any video files or streams in my OS.
    That is why I asked that I be unblocked from accessing the service from Eircom.

As you reported above there is an alleged difficulty in my OS playing the stream ..... so knowing what THAT stream is would allow me to know why I cannot play it.

My reading of what is happening is that it is not at all related to the stream, because I cannot access the stream!

But, based on what you have reported, if you can now tell me what kind of stream it is I can investigate further.

So, please can I have that info?

This has nothing at all to do with which browser is in use. Linux is not a browser as this quote seems to imply "the likes of Linux and other browsers".

As my posted pics show clearly, my PC is blocked from accessing the stream based solely on OS in use, not browser.

The only thing left is either to know what codecs/whatever the stream is using
    as that seems to be the official answer above ......... or to unblock me and allow me access to the service.

So, could you please

tell me what is the specification of the stream being used that your technical people claim my PC is unable to handle?

It is pointless searching the internet not knowing what to look for!

Thank you.

Advertisement