Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Sports Hub

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks, and I appreciate your comments.

It's a bit better news. I haven't received any more information from my Linux buddy, so have just asked the support centre to try to test this on the test bed.

Will get back to you on Monday. In the meantime, can you keep trying on your side over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Ant

As things have gotten worse here I was hoping to see something from you today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

As things have gotten worse here I was hoping to see something from you today ;)

Hi Johnboy,

I've nothing more on this at the minute. I've been out of the office during the morning time and keep missing my contact. My colleague has an eircom connection at home, uses ubuntu and has your browser. He's pretty techie, so I just need to remind him to try this at home.

I will make the effort tomorrow and will advise further tomorrow.

Regards,
    Ant

Hi Johnboy,

I've nothing more on this at the minute. I've been out of the office during the morning time and keep missing my contact. My colleague has an eircom connection at home, uses ubuntu and has your browser. He's pretty techie, so I just need to remind him to try this at home.

I will make the effort tomorrow and will advise further tomorrow.

Regards,
    Ant

I have the following browsers installed here at the moment, attempting to find one that would work ....

Chromium
    Firefox
    Konqueror
    Arora
    Midori
    Opera
    Qupzilla
    Epiphany
    Flock

Most initially show the 'No Linux Support' initially, but on refreshing the page attempt, but fail, to show the media player.

Midori shows the media player attempting to connect, and did so a few days ago, but now just shows 'Stopped'.

A couple of others seem to time out and at least one reports 'Too many redirects'

All the above using http://eircomsports.eircom.net/Setanta/

Hope that info is of some use.

regards.

I have been unable to access the media since your last post :(

Situation is now as bad as it ever was unfortunately.

Do you have any updated information that might help resolve the situation?

Obviously - from previous attempts - I can play the media if I get access to it.

It seems I now cannot access it ..... or the stream type has changed ... or something else has changed ....

This is rather frustrating ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I have been unable to access the media since your last post :(

Situation is now as bad as it ever was unfortunately.

Do you have any updated information that might help resolve the situation?

Obviously - from previous attempts - I can play the media if I get access to it.

It seems I now cannot access it ..... or the stream type has changed ... or something else has changed ....

This is rather frustrating ......

Hi Johnboy1951

Can you Pm me with your telephone number the broadband service is on.

So I can check your connection on the network side to see if there is anything there that could be causing issues accessing the SportsHub service.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Johnboy1951

Can you Pm me with your telephone number the broadband service is on.

So I can check your connection on the network side to see if there is anything there that could be causing issues accessing the SportsHub service.

Thanks, Mark

I can do that ..... but I fail to see how my connection has any affect on the graphic I am presented with that tells me Linux is not supported.

Maybe you can clarify something for me ...... is the Setanta video stream supposed to be available to Linux users or not?

If yes, which is what your request for info implies, then why do I get the pop-up telling me Linux is not supported?

Maybe you can clarify the situation first, please?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I can do that ..... but I fail to see how my connection has any affect on the graphic I am presented with that tells me Linux is not supported.

Maybe you can clarify something for me ...... is the Setanta video stream supposed to be available to Linux users or not?

If yes, which is what your request for info implies, then why do I get the pop-up telling me Linux is not supported?

Maybe you can clarify the situation first, please?

Thank you.

Hi Johnboy1951,

I asked for your telephone number as your post indicated you were unable to access the service through any browser?
    I have the following browsers installed here at the moment, attempting to find one that would work ....

Chromium
    Firefox
    Konqueror
    Arora
    Midori
    Opera
    Qupzilla
    Epiphany
    Flock

I appreciate customers have preferred browsers, which is why try and insure the SportsHub service is available on a number of browsers.

However regarding not being able to access the service via Linux.

SportsHub support advised that the Windows Media v9 video platform eircom use is not compatible with Lenix.

I am afraid that we are not able to give an indication as to when this may be addressed. At this point all we can advise is to use a different browswer when straming or viewing video content on eircomSportsHub.

Thanks, Mark

SportsHub support advised that the Windows Media v9 video platform eircom use is not compatible with Lenix.

Is that so?
    Strange then that I was able to receive the stream up to a week or so ago ..... albeit in only one browser and could not go full screen.

This quote from the Eircom help page is relevant I think ..
    What format will be used to broadcast the events?
    We will use Windows Media v9 video to stream the matches. In order to view the broadcast, you will need to have Windows Media Player v6.4 or above installed on your computer. You can test the compatibility of your system for viewing events by viewing our demo.

So, I go to the demo page linked, and can view the demo without incident, and go full screen if i wish.

So, quite obviously my PC is quite capable of displaying the stream.

Now, having proved - by using Eircom's own demo for the purpose - that my PC is capable of displaying whatever WM format you use, can you please tell me why I am being prevented from viewing the stream?

Thank you.

EDIT:
    Just to prove the point, I played the demo in all nine of the browsers currently installed.
    Not one had any difficulty with it.

So, another week gone by, and still I wait for access to the Setanta stream.

I am beginning to find it rather strange that when I reported I was able to receive the stream using one browser, albeit only in a small window, that shortly after I reported it here, I lost that facility.

It should be clear from reading this thread that I am able to view all other videos with the exception of the Setanta Live Sports stream - after my Midori access failed :(

I continue to get the graphic that tells me I am blocked ... either because of browser but most often because of operating system.

So, now that we have gone through everything that might be affecting it on my end, I ask again ........

when will Eircom give me access to the stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

So, another week gone by, and still I wait for access to the Setanta stream.

I am beginning to find it rather strange that when I reported I was able to receive the stream using one browser, albeit only in a small window, that shortly after I reported it here, I lost that facility.

It should be clear from reading this thread that I am able to view all other videos with the exception of the Setanta Live Sports stream - after my Midori access failed :(

I continue to get the graphic that tells me I am blocked ... either because of browser but most often because of operating system.

So, now that we have gone through everything that might be affecting it on my end, I ask again ........

when will Eircom give me access to the stream?

Regarding Setanta Sports

Hi Johnboy1951,

At the moment we cannot guarantee streaming this service will work with any other brower, outside of MS Internet Explorer.

We know however that Setanta Sports is compatible with Mozilla Firefox using Windows. It is also available to stream using Mac OS -

As advised, there are plans to introduce a new type of player which will be compatible with most if not all Internet browsers. These plans are still due to go ahead later this year.

Technical Support have advised :

For any queries on viewing content through Internet Explorer on Windows, or even on Firefox, please log this on the following eircom Setanta Sports Support website :

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/Setanta/Help.aspx

Setanta sports is available from the Eircom site, the url is http://sports.eircom.net/setanta/

As always, this is supported via mail only.

Should a customer have any issues regarding this content they should visit http://support.eircom.net/emailescalation/ and under ''Problem type:'' drop down menu select ''Trouble Using an Eircom Broadband Service'' and then select ''Setanta''

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Ant,
    You know very well that I do not use Windows or MAC OS, so I do not see the point of posting info about those operating systems.

I have been told in this thread that my operating system is NOT being deliberately blocked; yet I have posted several pictures of the results of my attempting to access the stream.
    Those pictures clearly state that my operating system is not acceptable.

So now, six months after I started this thread the situation remains ......

I have been given no explanation why my operating system is blocked ...... there have been claims that it is not.

I have been told that Eircom should make the stream available to me soon ...... but that was months ago.

I have been told that some other person would be contacted to get the required info to connect to the stream ....... but that has not happened either.

I have asked for some technical info about the stream so that I might try to find a way around this 'block', but that has not been forthcoming either.

In fact throughout this thread there has been a deliberate attempt to pass the blame to my browser, my operating system and even my broadband line.

Yet all I have asked is for Eircom to stop blocking the stream based on my operating system, and allow me - a long time Eircom customer - the same access as is given to other Eircom customers.

I do not think this is too much to ask.

BTW ........ this appears to be what I am meeting with .......
    http://setanta-video.eircom.net/eircom/channels/access_denied.wmv

I am sure you notice the "access_denied" ......

I had the opportunity to view Setanta Sports using a Windows OS the other evening .... to watch the Ireland soccer match.

It connected using Firefox and all was well until we tried to go full screen ...... no way!

So, Internet Explorer was used in its place.
    It connected, and went full screen ...... great thought we!

Except the stream was dodgy!
    Worked all right for a time, then would begin to stutter, then come OK again.

Sure was an overall bad experience.

We gave up on it at half time, went on line and streamed the same Setanta channel from elsewhere, and had no further bother.

At least I saw the match ...... no thanks to Eircom!

This thread has been a total waste of time and effort, met only with Eircom futzing about trying to blame something other than their own actions.

Here is a promise ........ if I ever have the opportunity to dispense with the Eircom landline and still receive reasonable speed/price broadband, I will depart as quickly as possible.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

I have just got a smart tv and connected to the sports hub, states that it does not support linux, will this change in the near future

169 wrote: »
    I have just got a smart tv and connected to the sports hub, states that it does not support linux, will this change in the near future

Did you read this whole thread?

I would not expect a believable answer from any of the Eircom reps on this matter.

In other words ...... I very much doubt if the situation will change .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

169 wrote: »

Hi 169,

At the moment Linux is not supported by SportsHub unfortunately. Right now the stream is broadcast on a bespoke player in Windows Media v9 video. In order to view the broadcast, you will need to have Windows Media Player v6.4 or above. We are however looking at changing to a Silverlight player which is compatible with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I know this doesn't address the Linux issue but does give some other options with regards supported software.

James

Hi 169,

At the moment Linux is not supported by SportsHub unfortunately. Right now the stream is broadcast on a bespoke player in Windows Media v9 video. In order to view the broadcast, you will need to have Windows Media Player v6.4 or above. We are however looking at changing to a Silverlight player which is compatible with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I know this doesn't address the Linux issue but does give some other options with regards supported software.

James

The problem has *nothing at all to do with the format of the video*

Trying that old story again is despicable!

Tell the truth ...... Eircom have blocked, deliberately, other operating systems and make it very clear that they do so.

Great!
    Now you change to Silverlight, which means even better blocking of the streams!

Is it not long past time that Eircom came out and admitted they deliberately block the stream?

It has nothing at all to do with support for any OS.

It is a deliberate action on behalf of Eircom.

I would point out also, that Eircom claims of providing this service to ALL customers is not true, and thus is at best misleading and at worst ..... well you know what I think by now!

Time to get your act together and stop deliberately misleading your own customers!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi Johnboy1951,

In the hope of addressing your queries.

As I clearly stated above:
    At the moment Linux is not supported by SportsHub unfortunately
    Tell the truth ...... Eircom have blocked, deliberately, other operating systems and make it very clear that they do so.

We have not "blocked it". The operating system is simply not supported. The error message you receive clearly states this. Even though this is the case, Ant has gone through every possible avenue in here to get the service working for you, to no avail.

Great!
    Now you change to Silverlight, which means even better blocking of the streams!

The switch to a Silverlight stream will mean that more browsers will be supported. This doesn't exclude any more operating systems. The situation remains the same with regards supported OS's but will be available through more browsers.
    Is it not long past time that Eircom came out and admitted they deliberately block the stream?

It has nothing at all to do with support for any OS.

Again, we're not deliberately blocking the stream. The operating system you use is preventing access. It has everything to do with support for a particular OS. It is of no benefit to eircom to deliberately stop customers from using a value added service but I would imagine there is not enough demand to justify creating a Linux supported site.
    It is a deliberate action on behalf of Eircom.

I would point out also, that Eircom claims of providing this service to ALL customers is not true, and thus is at best misleading and at worst ..... well you know what I think by now!

Time to get your act together and stop deliberately misleading your own customers!

:mad:

I can understand you are frustrated that your equipment stops you from accessing the service however the service is free to all customers who have the required setup. I don't feel this is misleading at all, which is why the error message clearly advises the support systems.

vyshs9.jpg

James, I hope for your sake you do not actually believe what you have written!

The switch to a Silverlight stream will mean that more browsers will be supported. This doesn't exclude any more operating systems. The situation remains the same with regards supported OS's but will be available through more browsers.

I never said that it blocked any more operating systems.
    Maybe you should read what I wrote before replying.
    I said it gives Eircom BETTER Blocking of the streams ...... and yes it does.
    Silverlight is a Microsoft proprietary product and can only be used on systems for which MS have provided it.
    So yes that is another string to the 'blocking bow', because as the dogs in the street know, MS does not provide Silverlight for alternate operating systems.
    I suspect it is used to give Eircom a further excuse for not allowing the stream to be viewed on other operating systems.
    Again, we're not deliberately blocking the stream. The operating system you use is preventing access.

Do you realise how stupid that is?
    Apparently not, as you posted it!

The video stream is blocked for those using alternative OSs.

If the video stream were not blocked it would be playable by those alternative operating systems.

I have previously pointed this out, and shown it to be true.

Eircom does not SUPPORT operating systems.
    Eircom makes a video stream available which is playable by various means on PCs that can access that stream.

Eircom blocks players running on particular OSs from accessing that stream. Hence the players cannot play it.

That is the ONLY thing that is preventing various players on other operating systems from playing the stream.

I also found it VERY interesting that when I reported here that I had managed to access the stream and play it, although not in full screen, within a few days even that access was cut off.

Heck, even the access to the test video stream is now blocked based on operating system used.
    Not so long ago I was able to access that video and play it.

Not deliberate?

You are fooling no one.

Eircom are blocking access to the stream DELIBERATELY.

With the introduction of Silverlight, Eircom are making doubly sure that only certain operating systems will ever be able to access the stream - those operating systems for which MS provide Silverlight.

Oh BTW .... don't bother with suggesting Moonlight as an alternative to Silverlight -- it is dead. No longer developed. Never to be resurrected apparently.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/29/3050936/mono-abandons-moonlight-open-source-linux-silverlight

So no matter what way you try to twist it, other operating systems are quite capable of playing the video streams, except Eircom refuses to allow access to those streams, based on operating system used.

That is deliberately BLOCKING ACCESS.

Advertisement