Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on where to practice

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

As the addage goes 'practice makes perfect' is it possible for us to compile a list of locations where it may be possible to practice bugging out, bushcraft or surival skills in Ireland. Im new to this and have no experiance in hiking or wild camping but would certainly like to begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

practice in your garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Or go hiking. Get yourself a pair of boots and a good jacket and go for a hike! Start off in places like glendalough where it's busy and easy then work from there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OneGoalNoSoul

CamperMan wrote: »
    practice in your garden

Unfortunately its not much of a garden but I do try my best. Can you explain exactly what you practice?
    Or go hiking. Get yourself a pair of boots and a good jacket and go for a hike! Start off in places like glendalough where it's busy and easy then work from there

Funny Glendalough was the first place I thought of, I would imagine its quite popular especially in the coming months. Good place to start though

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

I like Glendalough too. Has some nice walks described with nature hand outs, from easy no navigation to more difficult; its a great place to introduce people to walking, into hiking, and a little bit of nature observation and survival skills.

but no campfires allowed, so for me my practice place for that is the garden. Or sometimes the kitchen sink.

And once the chip pan, but thats another story.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Self discovery is the best method so get out there and go for it. I dont think any of us will give out potential locations, we are like fishermen who guard the locations of their hotspots.

Start with a map recce of potential areas near you and on your bug out routes, look for areas where you will have access to fresh water and possibly food and shelter. While your practicing stay in areas fairly near civilization and near your car. Google maps is a good start but OS maps give much more details about terrain. For every 10 potential locations only 1 may be any good so scout lots of them.

Once you have areas that look good on a map head out to them and investigate. While your there get a shelter up and brew up preferably with a fire you have started with a fire steel and kindling from your kit. Also with water that you have filtered from a local source. Investigate the local area, even houses with vegetable patches ;) as these would be valuable if the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Originally Posted by CamperMan
    practice in your garden
    Unfortunately its not much of a garden but I do try my best. Can you explain exactly what you practice?

starting fires,
    cooking outdoors,
    water collection, (hand dug well & rain water harvesting)
    water purification,
    camping,
    building shelter,
    shooting,
    growing my own food,

we have about half an acre of garden with a gate that leads into the countryside, all of the above is practiced in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would say have a look at places like the wicklow way or other walking routes around the country go out there for a couple of miles and take a turn off at an appropriate moment.

wicklow wise i climbed part of lugnaquilla from the glenmalure side a few years ago on my own mid week and did not meet anybody all day nearly (it was very lonely :o) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

sheesh wrote: »
    wicklow wise i climbed part of lugnaquilla from the glenmalure side a few years ago on my own mid week and did not meet anybody all day nearly (it was very lonely :o) .

Not even so much as a quad biker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

eth0 wrote: »

no! it was a bit mad! it was during the time they were filming some film (kiera knightly was there) in glenmalure so maybe they had gotten rid of the quad bikers for that week.
    now i met people in the carpark afterwards but no one up on the mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

sheesh wrote: »
    eth0 wrote: »

no! it was a bit mad! it was during the time they were filming some film (kiera knightly was there) in glenmalure so maybe they had gotten rid of the quad bikers for that week.
    now i met people in the carpark afterwards but no one up on the mountain.
    Iv often done lug on my own or with the dog and not met anyone, love it great for clearing the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

As the addage goes 'practice makes perfect' is it possible for us to compile a list of locations where it may be possible to practice bugging out, bushcraft or surival skills in Ireland. Im new to this and have no experiance in hiking or wild camping but would certainly like to begin.
    CamperMan wrote: »
    starting fires,
    cooking outdoors,
    water collection, (hand dug well & rain water harvesting)
    water purification,
    camping,
    building shelter,
    plus forage for food, shellfish, crab fish etc

You can do all of the above at a beach. :)

Advertisement