Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agri land values in the area

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Got no response in farming section soooo..
    Hi guys

Im planning on living in Ireland for a few years approx 5-10 yrs new job offer (Tipp/ Cork locality). However while Im here I would like to buy some land appox 30 acres orso because im passionate about farming and I dont fancy a leasing option.

Anyway instead of asking self-interested auctioneers( im told) i want suggestions regarding the future of irish land prices.

Im told that good quality land in a nice location can be gotten for 10000e an acre with a derelict building with a few sheds . However i still feel that this is still somewhat expensive given EU averages ??
    Surely this Price is unsustainable??
    What are peoples opinions on Irish land prices future 2012-2015??
    Or has anyone examples??
    Or has anyone any knowledge of where I could obtain more information on this??

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated highly
    Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

easydosh wrote: »
    Got no response in farming section soooo..
    Hi guys

Im planning on living in Ireland for a few years approx 5-10 yrs new job offer (Tipp/ Cork locality). However while Im here I would like to buy some land appox 30 acres orso because im passionate about farming and I dont fancy a leasing option.

Anyway instead of asking self-interested auctioneers( im told) i want suggestions regarding the future of irish land prices.

Im told that good quality land in a nice location can be gotten for 10000e an acre with a derelict building with a few sheds . However i still feel that this is still somewhat expensive given EU averages ??
    Surely this Price is unsustainable??
    What are peoples opinions on Irish land prices future 2012-2015??
    Or has anyone examples??
    Or has anyone any knowledge of where I could obtain more information on this??

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated highly
    Thanks again

It depends on location, land quality, road access etc etc etc. Based on the limited info you gave 30 acres with existing buildings (derelict or not they make planning permission significantly easier) i would say you are being quoted a more than fair price (would have been easily 20-30k 5 years ago if remotely close to a town or 15-16k if very rural). You are talking about a price for a whole farm that a couple of 1/2 acre sites would have fetched at the peak. Where will it be in 2015. Impossible to know with the euro crisis. Too many macro variables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 easydosh

thanks a 30ish acre rural close to good road
    my sources say that paying more than 12k for lande is suicidal and that 10k an acre is the going rate for a good farm
    where are ya getting 15-16k acre from?? is that the price in the region??

no wouldnot buy a 1/2 ac site too expensive as much as 70k still many farmer are still thinking in the boom times..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

You should also post this in the farming forum, you should get valuable infor there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

thanks a 30ish acre rural close to good road
    my sources say that paying more than 12k for lande is suicidal and that 10k an acre is the going rate for a good farm
    where are ya getting 15-16k acre from?? is that the price in the region??

no wouldnot buy a 1/2 ac site too expensive as much as 70k still many farmer are still thinking in the boom times..

15-16K was roughly what purely agri prices were 5 years ago before the bust. 10K, or €300K in total is probably a fair price now especially given that there is 30 acres of land close to a road and has a farm house (regardless of condition) and buildings going with it. Remember a builder could probably buy the lot then sell just the land for roughly the same price and then gradually do up the house and buildings. Farmers may still be thinking boom time but you shouldn't be thinking complete bust fire sale prices. 10K is already a significant reduction on peak prices. If you think you are going to pick up a farm, house and buildings for ~5K an acre you are as deluded as the farmer looking for 70K for a 1/2 acre site. The farmers simply won't sell to you unless they have absolutely no choice. If you want a fire sale price look up the death notices and target a small farm where the farmer has just died and the family want a quick sale. You can often get a bargain there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 easydosh

good one surely in the tipp area i could get a nice non -residential parcel for 8ooo euro an acre ??

sorry if its a too broad q :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

good one surely in the tipp area i could get a nice non -residential parcel for 8ooo euro an acre ??

sorry if its a too broad q :)

The land in Tipperary would be some of the most expensive agricultural land in the country btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It depends where you're buying. I mean obviously it's going to be harder to compete with the likes of Coolmore for land than it is for a slightly less desirable location with similar soil quality.

€10,000 per acre should be quite achievable, but not a lot lower than that. Agriculture is performing strongly right now. Farm incomes rose 30% last year in Ireland, and the new TAMS schemes are making farm development more progressive.

Not many sectors can feel as positive as agriculture right now, and this may be translated at land auctions.

Advertisement