Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week 2012

• 02-01-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone have the date for this year's rag week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Probably week 5 according to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

*Charity Week

Twas Week 6 last year IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    *Charity Week

Twas Week 6 last year IIRC.

it was, great weather too despite my concerns. :D

pity im missing it this year:(

freyners wrote: »
    it was, great weather too despite my concerns. :D

pity im missing it this year:(

Some craic had last year. Stables, Javas and SU put on a fair show. The highlight for me was definitely the hypnotist. Fair funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Like everyone else said, Week 6.

On the topic of RAG Charity Week, anyone have any predictions as to who might make an appearance?

• Advertisement

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Like everyone else said, Week 6.

On the topic of RAG Charity Week, anyone have any predictions as to who might make an appearance?

I'm gonna predict Rubberbandits. They owe us a gig since they pulled out last year.

The Coronas haven't played UL this year yet so they're a possibility.

Plus you'll probably get the regular local bands like Hermitage Green, etc, playing Javas throughout the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Apparently SU is being cautious with getting anyone big as UL students tend to not go to these events and stay at home on the lash hah.

Week 6 I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Is rag week just like Christmas Days or is there no classes?Also,
    Would security be tighter in the villages that week?

Mikel91 wrote: »
    Apparently SU is being cautious with getting anyone big as UL students tend to not go to these events and stay at home on the lash hah.

Not true if last year was anything to go by, given that the courtyards were both pretty much packed all day every day.
    qwerty93 wrote: »
    Is rag week just like Christmas Days or is there no classes?Also,
    Would security be tighter in the villages that week?

Classes ARE NOT CANCELLED for Charity Week. While most people tend to skip classes that week, officially you have classes as normal unless your lecturer says so.

Security will be tight. Very tight. So tight that unless you sneak into the villages by going off the beaten path, you won't get in after 6pm unless you're a resident of the village. You'll basically have a guy standing at the gate checking ID, as well as another lad roaming around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Anybody know any possible activities which will be on?

• Advertisement

Skyrim wrote: »
    Anybody know any possible activities which will be on?

They'd inflatable sumo suits last year IIRC, and a hypnotist.... I vaguely remember Javas doing this thing where they had loads of people competing to drink loads of crap like chili sauce and stuff.
    Plus there'll most likely be DJ's in both bars every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Mikel91 wrote: »

Week 6 I'm sure.

people tend to stay at home on the lash when they get s club 7 and five to perform and only 3 of them turn up

garv123 wrote: »
    people tend to stay at home on the lash when they get s club 7 and five to perform and only 3 of them turn up

S-Club 2 and 3ree :pac:

When they get a good act, like Newton Faulkner for Fresher Fest last year, a good crowd goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

S-Club 2 and 3ree :pac:

When they get a good act, like Newton Faulkner for Fresher Fest last year, a good crowd goes.

i got a ticket for him. didnt make it though:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ive no doubt paddy will pull a few surprises out of the bag in terms of gigs.

garv123 wrote: »
    i got a ticket for him. didnt make it though:o:o

Aw he was awesome, did a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody... class act. :)

I'd imagine so. It's been very quiet in terms of gigs this year so far, hopefully there'll be a blow out now for Charity Week.

They'd inflatable sumo suits last year IIRC, and a hypnotist.... I vaguely remember Javas doing this thing where they had loads of people competing to drink loads of crap like chili sauce and stuff.
    Bucking Bronco was class last year. The bouncing castles were cool too. Plan to participate a bit more, there's fundraising to be done!

Bucking Bronco was class last year. The bouncing castles were cool too. Plan to participate a bit more, there's fundraising to be done!

Skyrim wrote: »

IIRC there were bungee jumps as well last year. Oh and of course, the Great Race which I'd love to do but can't drive. :( (The brother's team won it a few years ago, the trophy's still in our sitting room. :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Mmm, hopefully better than the poor Fresher's Ball headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Mmm, hopefully better than the poor Fresher's Ball headline.

That's for sure. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ULSU Ents

Howye lads

Great to see the enthusiasm already for a mental week

Could I ask that if your looking to see anything or have any mad ideas please send them to sucso@ul.ie. I look at my own thread with regard to campaigns services and entertainment so apologies if I dont comment here as much as i can but I'll do my best. Here is my thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056313759

Other than that on the Charity week Issue - Im not leaving anything as impossible, Myself keith and the sabbats want to make it what it's always been only better woth the courtyard as the hub of activity.
    We are working our ass off acts wise and fundraising wise there are some new events and some old ones. As for acts I am pushing for the best and hopefully you will all have a week that tops previous and leaves a mark (no scars though)

Keep the feedback coming guys -Honest to god it really helps
    Keep the positivity.
    Already looking forward to welcoming ye back

Boom

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett
    Campaigns and Services Officer
    Oifigeach Feachtais agus Seirbhísí

University of Limerick Students' Union
    061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie
    www.facebook.com/ulstudentsunion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Is the Campaign and services officer the Ents officer aswell?

The hurlers get plugged alot by that office so im sure alot of stuff on there

The Hurlers had a good few events last year, all day DJ's, drink promotions etc if I remember correctly.

Is the Campaign and services officer the Ents officer aswell?

No, they're 2 separate people altogether. Paddy just likes to promote things using the ULSU ents account for some reason.
    wnolan1992 wrote:
    The Hurlers had a good few events last year, all day DJ's, drink promotions etc if I remember correctly.

Anything like that happening on campus?

Hi all

Just to clear up some elements here;

As Campaigns and services officer it is my duty as per the constitution

'To oversee the provision of a viable Entertainments Service'

The reason why I post as ULSU ENTS was this was the boards account used by the previous officer but essentially the realms of Campaigns & Services include the Entertainments end so with that in mind I have to observe all channels and investigate what students want rather than making decisions all by myself. Any idea genrated by a student holds high regard when it comes to planning an event. Its the best way of providing a charity week and a semesters entertainment in my opinion.

With regard the statement about the hurlers - the guys drop in frequently with mad ideas as do the Lodge and some of the nightclubs in town and quite frankly I love it they are student focused (granted I'm aware they also want to make some kind of profit) thats why engagement with any of these groups is so important you are directly involved with securing the best deals, nights out and entertainment for you, the student. Anyone that has something good to offer generally walks through the door and If its a good idea it goes to the students, If it is a means to make money that does'nt offer any enhancement to the student experience then they are out on their tail

Now to bring it back to Charity Week Im hoping for something very different, that atmosphere we have during the day and particuarly for the main event on the thursday has to be maintained week-long and that is the difficulty. Some class DJ's have come to my attention and they are definatly people to look at. I would like to see a homegrown element to at least one night during the week be it bands, dj's etc. There is one thing planned this year that is an all-dayer that has'nt been done before. When the last of the idea is sown up we can release it but we are generally happy to roll with any ideas students come up with as I have said previously.

Keep the comments coming!

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Anything like that happening on campus?

Well Stables had good few DJ's and stuff over the course of the week last year, same as Javas, the buzz in both courtyards was pretty epic.

Wasn't there a joint events thing set up to co-ordinate between LIT, UL and Mary Dry this year? Hopefully this'll mean a decent big act in town for all three groups.

ULSU Ents wrote: »
    The reason why I post as ULSU ENTS was this was the boards account used by the previous officer but essentially the realms of Campaigns & Services include the Entertainments end so with that in mind I have to observe all channels and investigate what students want rather than making decisions all by myself. Any idea genrated by a student holds high regard when it comes to planning an event. Its the best way of providing a charity week and a semesters entertainment in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that up, Paddy! If I may suggest an idea, perhaps you can collaborate with Kelly on perhaps booking out a nightclub in town (not the Lodge, for God's sake!) and getting a few DJ's from the radio station to spin some tunes on the night? Great way to promote the station and should also be a good night for the students too!
    wnolan1992 wrote:
    Wasn't there a joint events thing set up to co-ordinate between LIT, UL and Mary Dry this year? Hopefully this'll mean a decent big act in town for all three groups.

Yeah, Limerick SU Events. I'd be interested to see what they come up with for this. If they get a decent act for the main event, then they'll have my respect (both as an events organiser and as a student).

Excellent idea.

It has been passed onto Keith Quinlan and when we have our ents meeting we will definatly discuss it. Kelly and the guys should be very proud of the Dj' that they have, Some of them actually blew me away ofther the past semester - serious talent.

Where would you suggest? Angel lane is a prime venue but I have heard (only through the grapevine that they are verry settled with their resident DJ's) I've always wanted to do a gig in the Big top at the milkmarket and had a few people say it was a prime area for a collaborative event ...under something like Limerick SU Events.

Any other ideas...we've been asked to use the pitches more? any suggestions - I had a mad idea to do a concert from the summer and play it on a big screen but did'nt know if that would take off. Something like swedish house mafia or something similar

Keep em coming guys -Epic Ideas

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up, Paddy! If I may suggest an idea, perhaps you can collaborate with Kelly on perhaps booking out a nightclub in town (not the Lodge, for God's sake!) and getting a few DJ's from the radio station to spin some tunes on the night? Great way to promote the station and should also be a good night for the students too!

Yeah, Limerick SU Events. I'd be interested to see what they come up with for this. If they get a decent act for the main event, then they'll have my respect (both as an events organiser and as a student).

Something we all strive to gain. :pac:

Great idea though :)
    ULSU Ents wrote: »
    Excellent idea.

It has been passed onto Keith Quinlan and when we have our ents meeting we will definatly discuss it. Kelly and the guys should be very proud of the Dj' that they have, Some of them actually blew me away ofther the past semester - serious talent.

Where would you suggest? Angel lane is a prime venue but I have heard (only through the grapevine that they are verry settled with their resident DJ's) I've always wanted to do a gig in the Big top at the milkmarket and had a few people say it was a prime area for a collaborative event ...under something like Limerick SU Events.

TROOOOOOMMMMMSSSS!!!!!! ..... oh wait.... *sad-face*

In seriousness though, Molly's would be a pretty good spot to hold an event like OhMSGlive suggested imho.

If LSUE combined and got a fairly big act for the Big Top it'd be awesome.
    Any other ideas...we've been asked to use the pitches more? any suggestions - I had a mad idea to do a concert from the summer and play it on a big screen but did'nt know if that would take off. Something like swedish house mafia or something similar

I like the idea, but it'd be heavily weather dependent. If ye were going ahead with it, it should be BYOB, with maybe a few fast food vans or something. Though you'd need a serious PA system for something like this, which could be costly.

Using the pitches more'd be a good idea, would allow for more events to be going on at once, 'cos realistically the most you can have is one or two things going on in the courtyard at once or it just gets a bit chaotic.

Advertisement