Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week 2012

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Well CiaranMT:

Two wing mirrors at least kicked off two cars in College Court (one of them was my girlfriends); 1 side door kicked in and dented in Eldorado; wipers broken from cars by some loony all along Avilla, 1 car over turned in Arena car park... and that's for a start.

Burnt bins: 1 in Compostella, 1 in Avignon, 2 (at least) in College Court. Not to mention the countless bins thrown around the place and broken.

No idea how much it cost to clean up the area. I do know that MnMs in fairness to them picked up a ton of litter (so price that), Residents had no choice but to clean up their streets, and the Co. Co. had to send out the sweeper-truck due to the broken glass.

A number of trees were uprooted, and in fact some were used for jousting! Also see pics from the Limerick Leader, and in the gardens of houses in College Court and Dun an Oir.

I could mention the signposts pulled down and the driving across the green areas, but you might come back looking for video evidence or something. Or maybe you might come with the good ol' "how do you know it was students?" line.

That's the tip of the iceberg, and I hope its "emphatic" enough for you. Try talking to a resident in College Court, or even the Gardai (like I have).

Also, the Brothers of Charity and others would probably be happier if every student just donated a euro knowing there wasnt any trouble caused by "raising" it. And for the record, I don't think Charity Week should be banned because there are some good events that I go to and have supported. Its the boll ock acting that goes on in the estates that embarasses me as a graduate and my neighbours (long term residents).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Jester252 wrote: »
    We have no prove that will happen if it were cancalled.

Galway's unofficial Rag week is evidence enough of the attitude students will take if it were cancelled here.
    NUIG always do stuff on a different level. By your logic NUIG supply ton of evidence that it should be banned not saying it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Jester252 wrote: »
    NUIG always do stuff on a different level. By your logic NUIG supply ton of evidence that it should be banned not saying it should.

I think some how or other UL always manage to keep an awful lot of the bad crap out of the media so it doesn't get the same spot light as NUIG.
    Like no one seems to have heard about a cherry picker being hot wired and moved on the thursday night.

It really is terrible that students believe that chairty week gives them the right to do what ever the hell they want. It is obviously only a minority of the whole student population that get up to the crap and possibly other locals who use it as an excuse to get away with unacceptable behaviour. But at the end of the day it reflects badly on all students and the university.

Also its not like the students union haven't been offered money in excess of what has ever been raised not to run charity week. but they have declined it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

These type of students need to be given criminal records which can affect their future careers they wouldnt be long copping on then

The drink student excuse is so annoying in this country

If it was some person from a working class area they would be charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Also its not like the students union haven't been offered money in excess of what has ever been raised not to run charity week. but they have declined it.
    And thank goodness they didn't accept. Could you imagine how potentially catastrophic it could be if students decided to organise their own 'RAG week'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think some how or other UL always manage to keep an awful lot of the bad crap out of the media so it doesn't get the same spot light as NUIG.

Very bold statement to make... What makes you say that? If RTÉ caught wind of this stuff they'd have a field day... Did you ever consider that maybe NUIG RAG weeks are just worse than UL RAG weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harrington94

anyone know when Ul's rag week is this year ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

anyone know when Ul's rag week is this year ??:D

Week 5 as always? :confused:
    EDIT: Week 6 maybe, I remember it clashed with some week 6 midterms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harrington94

ok thanks !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

someone arriving to remind people its not rag week anymore in 5, 4.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Umm... UL doesn't have a RAG week? :confused:

But Charity Week is week 6 (assuming the SU don't go ahead with this "Ball" idea), 4th-8th March 2013.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Umm... UL doesn't have a RAG week? :confused:

But Charity Week is week 6 (assuming the SU don't go ahead with this "Ball" idea), 4th-8th March 2013.

like clockwork;)

tbh this ball idea has absolutely zero appeal for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Not crazy about "Charity" Week as a whole but a ball is too fairytale for my liking,
    Given the lack of occasion...
    Alright when there's an awards thing on,
    Or proper reasoning behind it...
    Dno, just not me..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

How do we know for definite that 'Charity week' is week 6 this year?
    Please let me know, I'm going away for a week and just had a horrible feeling that it might be the same week as charity week ..

biohaiid wrote: »
    How do we know for definite that 'Charity week' is week 6 this year?
    Please let me know, I'm going away for a week and just had a horrible feeling that it might be the same week as charity week ..

Because it's always been week 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

That's coincidental.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    That's coincidental.

I'm a 1st year, didn't know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    That's coincidental.

Not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

it was in week 11 until i reached 3rd year so it all depends on when the su want to have there event

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's dependent on availability of acts, other events and Easter holidays. It was week 4 for my first 2 years.

• Advertisement

Pishaw! I refuse to acknowledge your "evidence".

It's Week 6 damn you!

:P

IIRc it was week 9 my first year

I dont care what week it is as long as it's not week 4!

Advertisement