Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Oh god not mollys!

The Milk market and screen concet ideas are unreal.

What would the all dayer thing be?

A slip n slide by the libray would be class hah.Oh and..erm fireworks hah hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Something we all strive to gain. :pac:

You really should! :pac:
    ULSU Ents wrote:
    Where would you suggest? Angel lane is a prime venue but I have heard (only through the grapevine that they are very settled with their resident DJ's) I've always wanted to do a gig in the Big top at the milkmarket and had a few people say it was a prime area for a collaborative event ...under something like Limerick SU Events.

Angel Lane or Dolan's. Not sure about Molly's as I didn't get in there (the only club I've ever been turned away from!) or the Big Top but based on what I know that's my suggestion.
    I like the idea, but it'd be heavily weather dependent. If ye were going ahead with it, it should be BYOB, with maybe a few fast food vans or something. Though you'd need a serious PA system for something like this, which could be costly.

Using the pitches more'd be a good idea, would allow for more events to be going on at once, 'cos realistically the most you can have is one or two things going on in the courtyard at once or it just gets a bit chaotic.

Wnolan1992 pretty much hit the nail on the head there! If I may chuck another suggestion in, maybe organise a festival-style event for Wednesday and Thursday of Charity Week on the pitch? (Get, say, Knife Party on one night and SHM on another? Only suggestions here!)

If you want, I can throw a few ideas together on a word document and email them to you, just from the point of view of brainstorming?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Saw on facebook, the ents put up a question about what kinds of activities could be on that week. Like the sound of some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mikel91 wrote: »
    Oh god not mollys!

Only reason I said Molly's was 'cos t'would probably be easier to get for an event like that, and it's smaller than the others as far as I remember, so you'd be guaranteed to fill it which'd really help promote ULFM. [/takesOffRadioHat]

I like OhMSGlive's idea about a festival'y type thing. Not sure of the feasibility or even if the wider student body would go for it, but if you could get maybe five/six decent acts (maybe two big ones for each night, and a few locals as support), charge 10e in or 15e for a two day pass, BYOB or get Stables/Javas to set up there(if that's even possible with licencing) have merch stands with proceeds going to the fund, stuff like that.

Though... I can't see the sports-head's being too pleased with this idea tbh :pac: :pac:
    A slip n slide by the libray would be class hah.Oh and..erm fireworks hah hah.

The fireworks display for Seachtain na Gaeilge last year was awesome! Should definitely be done again, would be class to get the Living Bridge packed with people and put on a display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Only reason I said Molly's was 'cos t'would probably be easier to get for an event like that, and it's smaller than the others as far as I remember, so you'd be guaranteed to fill it which'd really help promote ULFM. [/takesOffRadioHat]

I like OhMSGlive's idea about a festival'y type thing. Not sure of the feasibility or even if the wider student body would go for it, but if you could get maybe five/six decent acts (maybe two big ones for each night, and a few locals as support), charge 10e in or 15e for a two day pass, BYOB or get Stables/Javas to set up there(if that's even possible with licencing) have merch stands with proceeds going to the fund, stuff like that.

Though... I can't see the sports-head's being too pleased with this idea tbh :pac: :pac:

The fireworks display for Seachtain na Gaeilge last year was awesome! Should definitely be done again, would be class to get the Living Bridge packed with people and put on a display.

It's possible, but we're talking license transfers here, which is tricky enough unless you know who to go to. Also, it's a bit costly as far as I know.

• Advertisement

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    It's possible, but we're talking license transfers here, which is tricky enough unless you know who to go to. Also, it's a bit costly as far as I know.

Probably... and I hate to say it, but without a bar in close proximity you won't get a massive crowd, especially during Charity Week. IIRC they did a BYOB thing for a movie on the big screen last year, but you were only allowed 4 cans. You know as well as I do that that'll put a lot of people off if t'was out on the pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Like everyone else said, Week 6.

On the topic of RAG Charity Week, anyone have any predictions as to who might make an appearance?

Rumour has it Jesus is set to make a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I'd say you'll have to put a bulletproof box around him,
    As Obama before him...
    Crucifixion is one thing but a bullet might stop him in his tracks :(

Unsure how big a band one can get for Charity Week but if you want to use the pitch, I'd say you'd get a massive gathering if you managed to get "The Script."
    A long shot, charge what you will for tickets, but would fetch a massive crowd.

Don't know many other Irish bands so clueless to others that haven't already been mentioned.

If looking for something a little more low-brow then I'm sure you can get some brilliant acts from pubs in vicinity or further, more than willing to turn up and dish out a few floor fillers and classics :D

Don't think I can contribute much more..
    Not a fan of modern, "DJ-y" music but I know majority are so a DJ should be attract some numbers.

To finish off I'll throw up some videos of Light Projection Shows
    Very very impressive but need a building with a good face to get the most out of it and not very long.
    Amazing to look at though, regardless...
    I look forward to whatever you come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFstU1Fxxk&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVmuALg_UB8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ill through it out, dont know how likely it would be

Id love to see these bois here, some very good songs and great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ULSU Ents

Howye lads.

Really enjoying the input here lads you have no idea how much ye are helping and to those of you emailing me, there are some brilliant ideas there. Now without sounding like im putting a dampner on things, Im hearing alot of you talk about truly massive acts and at this moment the budget is not there. The budget for an event like this is rather small but above all else im hoping to push the biggest act we can get as promised in my manifesto.

The Kanyu tree are a band that caught my eye before and well within our range. would love to have them and the suggestion is definatly taken on board.

Love the idea of a fireworks display as a launch. thought it was fantastic change to events last semester. So again that is something that will be brought to the table. Integration of an event during that time will be a must...maybe finally getting that gig on plassy lawn (although I know costing for that was high with regard to laying down protective slats for the grass)

With regards the Script It would be a small miracle but like I always say theres no harm in trying :) Ticket price is a huge issue as we want to keep it small for students but Honestly If you could name some of the acts you'd like to see and what you would actually pay thats a help because we could of course have swedish house mafia if everyone paid 50 quid a ticket you know? The difficulty is suiting everyone which (despite everyone I know saying is impossible) is difficult but not impossible.

Local acts and homegrown talent like I said are a must no mattter what wnd we will be contacting many soon so if you have any suggestions or even something that may not have hit us that are worthy of gettting that chance to play on stage send them on my email is at the end of this.

Dj's are an absolute must. They feed the nightlife event and I have met some of the most amazing dj's be them from DJ soc, Limerick students or from Bunga Bunga in Bentleys on a friday night. They are a must for the noghtlife events and the spectacle we want to push for the week.

THE LIGHT SHOWS ARE AMAZING!! They really have that wow factor. brilliant idea...simple but effective I really like the idea of using these.

As for Jesus returning... he's got a second coming a few weeks later so he's all booked out in studio.

Chuck norris maybe :)

Byob events are the bane of my existence - Those of you who know me know how much they bother me and the strictness I will be reviewing this and changing it as its simply out of the question to ask students to bring 4 cans to a place, put a doilly under their can etc. Whilst I understand that limitations have to be made that you cant land in with 2 magnums of Jack Daniels like its an epic meal time but this is under review.

Festival seems to be the consensus from both boards emails and general people poping into the office. Mardi -gras and othe things have come up and they are definatly contenders. People like the idea of using the pitches -its about co-ordinating it. difficult to get a bar there and security is tough. but if the sports bar can facillitate the arena it can do something similar for the pitch... consider it under investigation ;)

Keep the ideas comming guys - positive engaging responses are fueling this very well

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett
    Campaigns and Services Officer
    Oifigeach Feachtais agus Seirbhísí

University of Limerick Students' Union
    061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie
    www.facebook.com/ulstudentsunion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Saw Doctors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Eminem:D:D:D

Joking aside, the Saw Doctors'd nearly do it for the laugh I'd say....

Some bands to consider:

Bombay Bicycle Club - These guys are awesome, not sure if they'd be within the budget constraints, but worth a go.

Storyfold - I swear, I'll love the SU forever if ye get these guys, they're bloody brilliant. The singer is Paddy McKenna from 2FM, just released their first album last year, bloody brilliant, a definitely possible to get.

Tierannisaur Saw these at EP '11, Pretty good, would be a good band to play Stables or Javas throughout the week.

Toby Kaar - A class DJ, puts on some show! Blew me away at EP, and seems sound enough, so getting him for the gig shouldn't be too hard unless he's got another booking.
    His soundcloud

That's all I can think of for now without going down the more metal route, which wouldn't attract as big a crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

ULSU Ents wrote: »
    Howye lads.

Really enjoying the input here lads you have no idea how much ye are helping and to those of you emailing me, there are some brilliant ideas there. Now without sounding like im putting a dampner on things, Im hearing alot of you talk about truly massive acts and at this moment the budget is not there. The budget for an event like this is rather small but above all else im hoping to push the biggest act we can get as promised in my manifesto.

The Kanyu tree are a band that caught my eye before and well within our range. would love to have them and the suggestion is definatly taken on board.

Love the idea of a fireworks display as a launch. thought it was fantastic change to events last semester. So again that is something that will be brought to the table. Integration of an event during that time will be a must...maybe finally getting that gig on plassy lawn (although I know costing for that was high with regard to laying down protective slats for the grass)

With regards the Script It would be a small miracle but like I always say theres no harm in trying :) Ticket price is a huge issue as we want to keep it small for students but Honestly If you could name some of the acts you'd like to see and what you would actually pay thats a help because we could of course have swedish house mafia if everyone paid 50 quid a ticket you know? The difficulty is suiting everyone which (despite everyone I know saying is impossible) is difficult but not impossible.

Local acts and homegrown talent like I said are a must no mattter what wnd we will be contacting many soon so if you have any suggestions or even something that may not have hit us that are worthy of gettting that chance to play on stage send them on my email is at the end of this.

Dj's are an absolute must. They feed the nightlife event and I have met some of the most amazing dj's be them from DJ soc, Limerick students or from Bunga Bunga in Bentleys on a friday night. They are a must for the noghtlife events and the spectacle we want to push for the week.

THE LIGHT SHOWS ARE AMAZING!! They really have that wow factor. brilliant idea...simple but effective I really like the idea of using these.

As for Jesus returning... he's got a second coming a few weeks later so he's all booked out in studio.

Chuck norris maybe :)

Byob events are the bane of my existence - Those of you who know me know how much they bother me and the strictness I will be reviewing this and changing it as its simply out of the question to ask students to bring 4 cans to a place, put a doilly under their can etc. Whilst I understand that limitations have to be made that you cant land in with 2 magnums of Jack Daniels like its an epic meal time but this is under review.

Festival seems to be the consensus from both boards emails and general people poping into the office. Mardi -gras and othe things have come up and they are definatly contenders. People like the idea of using the pitches -its about co-ordinating it. difficult to get a bar there and security is tough. but if the sports bar can facillitate the arena it can do something similar for the pitch... consider it under investigation ;)

Keep the ideas comming guys - positive engaging responses are fueling this very well

Is mise le meas,

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

Just wondering why you are against BYOB?

Im sure declan from stables or the scholars lads could run a bar on the pitch or you could get an outside event bar company

As for acts get on Mick Dolan from Dolans Or Joe Clarke ex trinity they book all the big acts djs for colleges most years and everyone thinks its the S.U
    As for djs a must to a point yes but only an minority are into that whole dj dance scene i think theme nights would appeal more.people want fun not to be all serious bout "cool|"djs
    Some dj group played in stables the creeps and hyped up and turned out nobody had heard of them
    A 70/80s chessey dj would have kept all happy

Please no Coronas!!
    Saw doctors would sell very easy

Kanyu Tree play alot of free gigs so that could be very easy to do

Just wondering why you are against BYOB?

Im sure declan from stables or the scholars lads could run a bar on the pitch or you could get an outside event bar company

As for acts get on Mick Dolan from Dolans Or Joe Clarke ex trinity they book all the big acts djs for colleges most years and everyone thinks its the S.U
    As for djs a must to a point yes but only an minority are into that whole dj dance scene i think theme nights would appeal more.people want fun not to be all serious bout "cool|"djs
    Some dj group played in stables the creeps and hyped up and turned out nobody had heard of them
    A 70/80s chessey dj would have kept all happy

Please no Coronas!!
    Saw doctors would sell very easy

Kanyu Tree play alot of free gigs so that could be very easy to do

The turnout for Undercover Creeps at Stables last year was fair disappointing alright, they were savage like. :\

Agree with the themed nights, one of the best nights out last year was in Angel Lane, when they'd 3 seperate DJ's going at once, one doing 80's/90's, one doing current chart and another doing rock. So if you didn't like one song, all you had to do was head upstairs and be sorted. Some craic, especially since 2 groups of my friends set up camp on opposite floors, so twas a matter of back and forth all night for the craic. This could be done fairly easily, DJ inside the Stables, one in the Stables Courtyard and one in either Java's or the SU courtyard.

Is it that easy to set up a bar outside? IIRC there was a bit of hassle trying to get a bar organised in the arena last year for the Rubberbandits gig....

As an aside: From the way I read Paddy's post, he's not against BYOB, just against the way it's been done in the past.... I could be wrong though, so sorry if I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Kanyu Tree are very good actually,
    Don't know how I forgot about them,
    Would enjoy them alright.
    Again after that I'm in the dark as regards to obtainable bands do best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Saw Doctors :D:D:D

Have a few father ted themed activities: Lovely Girls Competition, over 18s football challenge match.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Have a few father ted themed activities: Lovely Girls Competition, over 18s football challenge match.

Well to be fair, an over 18's football challenge match in a University would just be..... a football challenge match. :pac: :pac:

Would be cool to try and break a world record for something during the week... something mad like.... I dunno.... most people dressed like cows in one place or something :pac: Could be a good little fundraiser and craic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Please, not The Script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Skyrim wrote: »

A Society have Tedfest in the pipeline ;) more details TBA

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Yes!! :D Worth a go anyway. Looking forward to the week, got co-op but am in limerick so can still be around for all the madness of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ULSU Ents

Howya!

First of all I am all FOR a BYOB party in fact if you read my comment again you know I am pushing for it as a main event!!!! :D

Its the strictness around it that is the difficulty.

As for Father Ted related activity, Tedfest is being run by a certain society and by all accounts its planning to be epic! With that in mind the old classics will make an appearance.

See this is where the difficulty is: One says ' please not the script' another says 'please the script' THEY WILL NOT BE COMMING AS WE DONT HAVE THE MONIES! :D

kanyu Tree are a great possibility.storyfold and bombay bicycle club are being looked into.

As for World Records we had poor turn out for the haka in the arena one year and that was a bit of a dampner - I think we need something easier... the most people in onesies in a certain area... maybe what do you think. Dunnes are doing a serious deal on onsies! :)

Keith is kicking ass in terms of getting acts and when we announce them we hope you will be happy. minor acts wise like stables javas gigs or even guest dj's in various nightclubs are in the frame. THINK MADNESS - oN THE GROUND DURING THE DAY!

Keep the ideas coming

Cheesy 80's... is that still in :) make a good case for it Im worried it would'nt sell but like i always say i dont have all the answers

Paddy

Paddy Rockett

061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Thats good to hear on the BYOB.What are the current rules?

Kanyu Tree would be simple to get there an Irish band

Someone mentioned there was hassle getting a bar in the arena,what happened?

Is the ents officer a full time paid position?

Cheesy 80s might not be in but party/fun music would keep the majority happy and there is low risk/cost then trying to get a trendy dance dj that will just be all lads and pill heads

Look at Angel Lane.Mollys,Lodge Icon chart pop party music gets the crowds

Thats good to hear on the BYOB.What are the current rules?

As far as I remember, it was four cans maximum for BYOB events. I can see the reasoning behind it, because Charity Week can turn into amateur hour very easily, but the limit turns away a lot of people(I've seen it myself last year, people saying why would they bother paying to go see something with a limit when they could just sit at home with a few of the lads or head to town).
    Kanyu Tree would be simple to get there an Irish band

Did Kanyu Tree play UL already this year? Didn't they play the ULFM launch? (I couldn't go to that so not too sure was it them).
    Someone mentioned there was hassle getting a bar in the arena,what happened?

As far as I remember, leading up to the event there was confusion as to whether a licence would be granted or not for the planned Rubberbandits gig. I think it was eventually granted though...
    Cheesy 80s might not be in but party/fun music would keep the majority happy and there is low risk/cost then trying to get a trendy dance dj that will just be all lads and pill heads

Look at Angel Lane.Mollys,Lodge Icon chart pop party music gets the crowds

+1. Much better to have DJ's that play chart, light dance, as that casts the net fairly wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

SarahBeep! wrote: »

any leaks on this tedfest idea....it sounds class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

Rag week in UL was horrible last yr, dey shudn't have changed the dates :'( And they shouldn't av got rid of the drinking games either. For instance myself nd d lads did the boat race thinkn first prize was a keg of beer like previous years, turned out to be tickets for that ****ty arse christy moore. FML

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I should clarify I said please not the script not only because they're ****e but how much they would cost as well.

Rag week in UL was horrible last yr, dey shudn't have changed the dates :'( And they shouldn't av got rid of the drinking games either. For instance myself nd d lads did the boat race thinkn first prize was a keg of beer like previous years, turned out to be tickets for that ****ty arse christy moore. FML

Good to see you were taking part in the spirit of the week! :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Christy Moore Tribute Act?

Advertisement