Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steamboat quay

• 02-01-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We're thinking of moving in here next semester, anyone know what the place is like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Think 1st stabbing happened there 2003, when man complained about neighbours music. Since then few more stabbings, people being attacked by heroin addicts. Could happen anywhere.

Got lovely river views + gardai station within 5 mins.

Area is a kip. Keep away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Nice until the Clariion. Now its a moldy dark kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i've lived in steamboat quay the last fourteen years and never had any problems.

i love the responses to these kind of threads though as if anywhere is safe nowadays! anywhere you live is the very same, anywhere is susceptible to criminal behaviour or personal risk.

im from a small village just outside the town of portlaoise originally and these kinds of "place is a kip" nonsense comments reminds me of my mother making the bold statement a couple of years back that "there are no drugs in clonad!", how i kept a straight face is beyond me as only just up the road from us, her neighbours son was one of the biggest drug dealers in ireland! :D

my mother was as blinkered and clueless as some of the posters here that are under the false impression that somehow they live in areas that are invulnerable to criminal activity.

to the OP, there are plenty of good apartments and you could expect to pay anywhere between €550 and €800 depending on whether you choose an apartment or a townhouse.

any other questions by all means feel free to ask! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

xsiborg wrote: »
    i've lived in steamboat quay the last fourteen years and never had any problems.

i love the responses to these kind of threads though as if anywhere is safe nowadays! anywhere you live is the very same, anywhere is susceptible to criminal behaviour or personal risk.

im from a small village just outside the town of portlaoise originally and these kinds of "place is a kip" nonsense comments reminds me of my mother making the bold statement a couple of years back that "there are no drugs in clonad!", how i kept a straight face is beyond me as only just up the road from us, her neighbours son was one of the biggest drug dealers in ireland! :D

my mother was as blinkered and clueless as some of the posters here that are under the false impression that somehow they live in areas that are invulnerable to criminal activity.

to the OP, there are plenty of good apartments and you could expect to pay anywhere between €550 and €800 depending on whether you choose an apartment or a townhouse.

any other questions by all means feel free to ask! :)

Ya looking for a place in the City Centre too ASAP.

Everywhere being called a shíthole doesn't make it any easier! :P

Any tips for me on how to find a roommate?? Finding it hard to come across people.

Need a place for 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

TheTownie wrote: »
    Ya looking for a place in the City Centre too ASAP.

Everywhere being called a shíthole doesn't make it any easier! :P

Any tips for me on how to find a roommate?? Finding it hard to come across people.

Need a place for 8 months.

to somebody somewhere, everywhere is a ****hole, i wouldnt personally let it sway your objectivity, certainly true is the case that there are certain aspects of steamboat quay i dont like, such as the eyesore that is the skateboard park, i'd sooner have the alcoholics back than the drug dealers pushing to kids any day.

but then mount kennett across the road has a worse reputation, the apartments themselves are structurally sound, but the residents, well, now that the off licence has opened back up, you'll see the pyjama party congregate around the entrance to it.

again though, mount kennet apartments themselves (well, one of my friends that's a resident there, has kept his apartment in good condition), i'd imagine most of them are in good condition, but the same as i said to the OP, go in with your eyes wide open and seriously, LOOK for the faults that may be present structurally- chips, cracks in walls, loose or damaged fittings in the bathroom, possible mould in the rooms (ceiling corners especially!).

as for looking for room-mates, well, i suppose a small card in some of the shops that have noticeboards might work, or the noticeboards in the colleges maybe if you're in college, i would'nt imagine it'd be too hard to find a room mate as there are plenty of college students living here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Lads iv lived here for nearly a year now with a couple of the lads and its nice, not rough at all, theres a nice mix of students and nationalities, neighbours are very friendly and loads of kids around the roof garden on nice days.

i have to say mount kennett is rough enough but steambot quay is nice, very cheap considering its location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

xsiborg wrote: »
    to somebody somewhere, everywhere is a ****hole, i wouldnt personally let it sway your objectivity

Xsiborgs hit the nail on the head here. I've lived in four different abodes in that general area over the past four years, and it really isn't as bad as everyone claims it is. In fact, it has improved significantly as a place to live in recent times. I've noticed quite a few families moving in too, with younger children. Not as many scumbags as there used to be.

Advertisement