Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting my max speeds?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

OK this is copied/pasted straight from the router page so hopefully it's still understandable! I switched to Magnet just before Christmas (don't diss just go with it) and I signed up for the 5Mb package from my 2Mb with my previous provider. The problem is all my results are practically identical save for 0.02~ higher up/down speeds. Here's my router stuff:

ADSL
    Type Interleave Path
    Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream Data rate(Kbps)
    2048Kb 256Kb
    Noise Margin
    19 16
    Output power(dBm)
    3 191
    Attenuation(dB)
    33 17

And here's my latest speedtest results:

Dublin:
    1680735389.png

Limerick:
    1680736414.png

Looking at those results I'm in North Cork so not sure what's up with (~ 150 km) but whatever!

I'm thinking I've a 2Mb package judging by the downstream on my router but I was told my line can handle up to 5Mb which is what I signed up for!
    So is this as good as it gets or is it just wrongly set up? I haven't contacted Magnet yet what with Christmas and all but nobody could guarantee my speeds would improve so before I waste a few euro on hold I thought I'd check here!

Sorry if I left something out just let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

pm me ur landline number and i can tell u exactly what ur line can handle

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Nope that's quite bad, magnet has been really crap lately . I'm on the same boat as you, they will tell you your line come only handle bla bla, its all Tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

See I know my line can handle 5Mb! Every provider I've checked with told me that! I'm in a very rural area so I expect bad speeds but getting 1.8 on a 2Mb package and being told the line can handle up to 5 I was expecting SOMETHING! I'm going to contact them shortly and find out!
    I'm now paying double for the same speeds! Only good thing here is the speeds are always consistent and "unlimited" downloads! I'm OK if this is the max my line can go but at the moment I just don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

2048Kb 256Kb

looks like they never updated your line after you signed up to the 5mbpackage... you will not achieve speeds better 2048down -256up until they configure your line for the 5mb.. get onto them.

mark17j wrote: »
    2048Kb 256Kb

looks like they never updated your line after you signed up to the 5mbpackage... you will not achieve speeds better 2048down -256up until they configure your line for the 5mb.. get onto them.

I wasn't sure if that meant the package or current speed or what! I rang em up anyway and apparently it's still pending! Kinda strange seeing as I've been using it for the last 10 days or so!
    I've been given a "We'll contact you in 48 hours" so I'll know more Wednesday! I'm reasonably happy with what I have but it's stupid to pay for something that I'm not getting! I guess there's nothing I can do until then anyway!
    Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mark17j wrote: »
    2048Kb 256Kb

How can that be checked ?
    I'm only getting about 4 gb download on a 8gb package.

I've emailed my provider with a copy of my speed test in the last few days.

I'm no expert on this but check your router default gateway to see what speed you're getting! Maybe your line isn't configured for 8Mb! That's what happened mine! Broadband's set up and all just not everything is finalised!

If that's the 8Mb (8096Kb) is what your router says then it's either a fault/distance issue with your line! If it's distance I don't think there's anything doable with it! And if so you should switch to the 5Mb package!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 njall2

Below are my router details. I am South of Drogeda 1.5KM from town centre at Beamore Cross. I am with Vodafone but seem to have no interest in increasing my speed. All advise most welcome. Speed test online gives me an upload 0.320 and 3.41 download with a ping of 48.

ModulationType: G.DMT
    Upstream Downstream CurrRate(kbps) 384 4096 MaxRate(kbps) 1080 5760 NoiseMargin(dB) 15.0 11.6 Attenuation(dB) 46.0 26.0 Power(dBm) 2.1 19.7

That's almost identical to my speed test results now and apparently I'm in a "very good" area for coverage! I'm guessing on Swift those are the max speeds (at least in my case it's true).

I could be wrong but I don't think Swift would improve your speeds! I find it a LOT more reliable than any other service I had but upgrading from D:1.2mb U:0.1 anything's gonna seem fantastic!
    If you're able to get a better package I'd suggest shopping around first!

Advertisement