Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blueprint

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Fri 11th May: 8.04 miles in 55:21 (6:53/mile)

Saturday: 4 miles easy, no watch.

Sunday: 1500m race in 4:33. 4 mile cool down

Monday: 10 miles in 66:07 (6:34/mile)

Tuesday: 10 x 350m, jog back recovery.

Wednesday: 10 miles in 67:19 (6:42/mile)

Thursday: 16 x 400m, averaging 70.88. 1 min rest. 2 mins after each set of 4.

Friday: 4.07 miles in 31:06 (7:38/mile) tight hamstring.

Saturday: 6.21 miles in 44:09 (7:06/mile) felt good. Hamstring loosened out.

Summary

If I was happy with my 1500m time last Sunday I probably would have hopped straight onto this log to brag about it but instead I had a very poor run. It was a windy day in Navan and the time really brought me back to reality after a win the previous weekend! The 1500m is no joke. It's over before you know it and requires a completely different gear that I don't have right now. I have a lot of work to do but I am determined to get down under 4:15 and hopefully under 4:10 in the next month. I know it can be done. I finished that race with little fatigue as it was my 3k pace really. I just can't seem to go much faster than 68-69 seconds per lap so we're trying to address that in training at the moment.

I did two really good sessions this week. I did Tuesday's 350s in spikes on grass. Rough ground kept my core working and hamstrings and glutes were in a hoop the day after. The times were coming in at around 57-58. Didn't measure the distance so I don't know how accurate it was. Jog back recovery took around 3 minutes. I was just concentrating on getting up to speed and holding it there. The 400s on Thursday were great. All under 72 seconds. Last 2 were 69.5 each I think. Training partner and I sharing the load, exchanging the lead every other rep. The ones I lead early on all came in around 70 flat. Right hamstring was tight from Tuesday, I need to spend more time stretching it out and get out for some easy jogs if I have time to loosen out on my easy days.

I have a 3k tomorrow in Navan. 71-72 second laps are on the cards to hopefully bring me under 9 minutes. 9.14 is the PB, I went through 1500m in 4.30 that day and I'm in MUCH better shape now so I'm just going to go flat out from the gun. I have the sub 16 minute 5k ticked off so to go under 9 now would be great for my confidence. I already feel like a new runner but need to post the times to prove it.

Now to watch Bayern embarrass Chelsea. Robben to score a hat-trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Lock wrote: »
    Fri 11th May: 8.04 miles in 55:21 (6:53/mile)

Saturday: 4 miles easy, no watch.

Sunday: 1500m race in 4:33. 4 mile cool down

Monday: 10 miles in 66:07 (6:34/mile)

Tuesday: 10 x 350m, jog back recovery.

Wednesday: 10 miles in 67:19 (6:42/mile)

Thursday: 16 x 400m, averaging 70.88. 1 min rest. 2 mins after each set of 4.

Friday: 4.07 miles in 31:06 (7:38/mile) tight hamstring.

Saturday: 6.21 miles in 44:09 (7:06/mile) felt good. Hamstring loosened out.

Summary

If I was happy with my 1500m time last Sunday I probably would have hopped straight onto this log to brag about it but instead I had a very poor run. It was a windy day in Navan and the time really brought me back to reality after a win the previous weekend! The 1500m is no joke. It's over before you know it and requires a completely different gear that I don't have right now. I have a lot of work to do but I am determined to get down under 4:15 and hopefully under 4:10 in the next month. I know it can be done. I finished that race with little fatigue as it was my 3k pace really. I just can't seem to go much faster than 68-69 seconds per lap so we're trying to address that in training at the moment.

I did two really good sessions this week. I did Tuesday's 350s in spikes on grass. Rough ground kept my core working and hamstrings and glutes were in a hoop the day after. The times were coming in at around 57-58. Didn't measure the distance so I don't know how accurate it was. Jog back recovery took around 3 minutes. I was just concentrating on getting up to speed and holding it there. The 400s on Thursday were great. All under 72 seconds. Last 2 were 69.5 each I think. Training partner and I sharing the load, exchanging the lead every other rep. The ones I lead early on all came in around 70 flat. Right hamstring was tight from Tuesday, I need to spend more time stretching it out and get out for some easy jogs if I have time to loosen out on my easy days.

I have a 3k tomorrow in Navan. 71-72 second laps are on the cards to hopefully bring me under 9 minutes. 9.14 is the PB, I went through 1500m in 4.30 that day and I'm in MUCH better shape now so I'm just going to go flat out from the gun. I have the sub 16 minute 5k ticked off so to go under 9 now would be great for my confidence. I already feel like a new runner but need to post the times to prove it.

Now to watch Bayern embarrass Chelsea. Robben to score a hat-trick.

I wouldnt worry too much about the 1500m I always find that even if I have been doing specific work for the shorter distances (800-1500m) that it still takes a couple of races in the legs just to get feel for them. I know last year I had a couple of races before I got into PB shape. In the end I remember I ran 4.21 a week after running 4.39 so i wouldn't worry as you said before you are in great shape.

Best of luck in the 3k sub 9 should be no bother

So I ran a 3k on the track today. Felt good limbering up. I was mentally up for it. Conditions were great. No wind to blame today. Plenty in the race. Enough people to sit in behind and drag me to a PB hopefully!

I was trying to break 9 minutes going into the race and knew I had to nail 72 after 72. I had all the splits in mind and didn't want to lose contact with the lads that were heading for 8.50-8.55. I started well and managed to slot in on the rail in 4th position single file going through 400m in around 71 seconds. 8.59 was ambitious but I was hoping it would be a mind over matter kind of run. Anyway, got through 800m in 2.24 on pace. 1200m reached in 3.36, still on pace. Had to keep the effort up to hold on but managed to get gapped coming into the 4th lap. I went through 1600m in 4.50 with the lads rolling through in around 4.46 ahead of me.

I knew that it wasn't a good sign early on if I was only barely hanging onto my target pace. Rather than trying to get back on pace to get to 2k in 6.00 I ran a 75 second lap to come through in 6.05. Well and truly gapped now, with only 1k to go! There were 3 lads ahead of me, 2 of which would go on to run 8.53. One of the lads was slowing though and coming back to me, as I certainly wasn't picking it up. It was good to have him to aim for though. I think I ran another 74/75 lap and then with 600m to go he was only a few metres away. Got onto his shoulder with 400m to go. Don't know the 2600m split. He's an 800m runner and won the Leinster School's 800m the day before in 1.56 so I didn't expect to outkick him but with him there distracted me from running the last lap solo. I went around him with 300m to, then he took off with 200m to. I ran 33 for the last 200m to come in at 9.14. Matched my PB, running the exact same way I did the last time I ran a 3k. Held it together for the first mile but then just couldn't hang on on the 5th and 6th laps.

The more I race, the more I realise running is all about HANGING ON. Surely if I was able to run a 33 second last 200m, I was able to hang on to the leaders a little longer. I'll chalk it down to experience, but I really should have gritted my teeth on that 5th lap and closed that tiny gap that had opened up but instead it lengthened and then it was a case of damage limitation and trying to stay under 9.10. Kind of funny that I matched my PB though. My training is much better than it was when I ran 9.14 last time though. It doesn't feel like I raced earlier today which is one of the many benefits of better strength. It didn't take too much out of my legs, although I may feel different tomorrow. I finished 4th overall, but 2nd senior behind the race winner so got a wee silver medal for my troubles. Happy enough. I'll keep plugging away. I want some PBs in June!

Monday: 9 miles in 62:33 (6:56/mile)

Ran on grass today, which is something I don't do often enough. Legs felt grand after the race yesterday, a little heavy but nothing major.

Spent some time stretching this evening too which is something I'm trying to invest time in addressing more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SamAllardyce

setback?

• Advertisement

Get back in the game ;) what happened?

Get back in the game ;) what happened?

I must know you SamAllardyce if you're paying this log a visit after such it seemed to have died, was my training that interesting to follow really? :)

No setbacks, I was on holidays and wasn't updating this log and then just got lazy logging training. Ran well throughout the summer but you know what with it being August now, I'm paying more attention than normal to getting the training in so I might as well start logging again for the craic. Maybe it's Olympic fever. Some of the posts I see here were starting to annoy me surrounding the whole 4 x 4 relay fiasco for example that I just stayed off boards and wasn't going to log any training.

Didn't run on Monday but got out for 8 miles easy yesterday and 6 miles easy this evening. Haven't done much in the last fortnight. I've switched clubs to Dunboyne AC this summer and may be roped into the National Half in Athenry so we'll see about that! Not sure how I feel about it, haven't trained specifically for it so I'd want to get out for a tempo run fairly soon!

How's your training going Sam, any setbacks yourself? ;)

Friday: 6 miles easy. I did a 3 hour walk around Glendalough in the morning and fell asleep on the way home in the car. The weather was so good that I managed to squeeze in an easy 6 miles along the Bull wall before the Olympic evening session.

Saturday: 10 miles steadyish. Still haven't put on the garmin in a few weeks, if I can I won't take it as I'm not always too interested in pace so today I just wanted to cover ground as this was actually my longest run in over 2 weeks so legs were a little asleep.

I stopped logging here as I wasn't doing any racing in July and most of June really but now that I've something to post I'll keep logging training here regularly. Hoping it'll keep me in check during the XC season

Gathering from the lack of training compared to your training around May I assume you've lost that 15.54 shape?
    Future races and goals for next few months?

Gathering from the lack of training compared to your training around May I assume you've lost that 15.54 shape?
    Future races and goals for next few months?

Yeah I definitely wouldn't run 15.54 if I were to run a 5k today! Although it didn't take me too long to get into that shape so I'm optimistic I'll be rolling again in 10 days or so. I have a few pounds to lose to get down to around 74kg which is what I weigh at my fittest. I ran around 40 miles this week which I haven't done in 3 or 4 weeks. Planning on training over some hilly terrain and doing loads of hills, 1k reps etc. Anything that'll help me for cross country, even though I won't be running XC until October. Like I said I might be running the National Half-Marathon but I don't know if I'd score on the team so I'll see about that.

I'm a great man for saying I'll do a race but then don't turn up. Every weekend I say I'll turn up at a road race just to get a run out but never do. I get slagged for saying I'm 'gonna run' these races. That's what they call me 'gonna run'. So I might get the finger out and enter a few of these upcoming races. There's a 5k in Slane next weekend, another in Tara on the 24th. Bohermeen have a 5 mile on the 9th of September. I'll train through all of them though, not hoping to obliterate any PBs or anything like that.

11.4 miles in 1:17 (6:46/mile) First attempt at a longish steady run and it went well although I laboured a bit more than I would have liked. A month ago I was coasting along at under 6:30 per mile every time I went out for a run but having taken the foot off the gas for a few weeks, I'm building up again now.

I'm in a good state of mind at the moment about training and it is 100% thanks to the Olympics. I had a pretty good XC season 2 years ago, not great but OK. I was 6th in the Leinster Novice in October and want to better that this year. I think I can finish really high up in the National Novice if I get things right.

Any upcoming races yourself?

• Advertisement

Monday: 4 miles in 29:42 (7:24/mile) So tired today. I could barely lift my legs. I went far too hard yesterday. Glutes were extremely stiff. This is all part of the teething process of getting back into regular day to day training, at least that's what I'm telling myself

Tuesday: Nothing. Rested. Should've gone for a jaunt but didn't.

Wednesday: 8 miles in 55:20 (6:54/mile)

I'm doing a session tomorrow night with the club and I know the lads are going to embarrass me with their fitness but have to start somewhere. Haven't trained with them in nearly a month, looking forward to not going it solo this season and having some clubmates for once. It will make a huge difference to me. Dunboyne AC, watch out for us this Autumn/Winter!

Thursday: I did a ladder session this evening in the rain: From 1 minute up to 5 minutes and back down (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1). 45 seconds recovery between each effort. I started off conservatively as I usually struggle coming down in the second half but the pace was manageable and I finished strong off quite a low recovery (for me!).

I was able to slot straight back in with the guys. I was keeping up with one who has a 16:30 5k and a 22 minute 4 mile recently so I'm content with that for now. This half-marathon in Athenry is so close I wouldn't normally consider it but if I can fit in some decent sessions on Saturday and Tuesday, Thursday next week I might be ok. I have to increase the mileage though, that's the only thing I'm worried about at the minute.

Friday: 5 miles easy in 35:55 (7:10/mile)

Despite the fact that I intended to do a short slow run, I still found this tougher than normal. My legs were just very heavy and after I finished I lay on my back on the grass for close to 10 minutes. Legs need to get stronger for sure.

Saturday: 10 miles in 67:06 (6:42/mile)

Unlike yesterday, I felt very comfortable on this run. I didn't force it and gradually got into a good rhythm and was surprised to see 67 minutes done so easily when I finished. Lesson learned, don't try to force a steady pace you're not ready for like I did last Sunday. I could only crawl 4 miles on Monday whereas I could have done with a few extra miles there. My mileage is still very low this week. Even if I get 13 or 14 miles done tomorrow I won't hit 50. I have to get back up over 60 mpw soon

Sunday: 10.8 miles in 73:19 (6:46/mile)

Another comfortable run to round off an up and down week. I only ran 45 miles this week but today and yesterday I felt very good aerobically which gives me confidence. I need to do a tempo run soon and only then will I know if I could handle a half-marathon. Everything depends on next week really.

I ran 4 miles on Monday and 9 miles on Tuesday but haven't ran a step since.

Just below my left knee seems to be locked and not at all loose. It gets stiffer as I run and I don't really know what to do. I intended to take Wednesday off but couldn't run the last few days as I'm on a course that finishes up tomorrow. I may not have time to get out until tomorrow evening, by which time I'll be knackered. I have done some one legged squats to try activate it a bit but I can still feel it walking around. It's not painful just awkward to run on if that makes sense. Hoping it's nothing but cobwebs I'm trying to shake off.

Definitely not doing the National Half-Marathon now. It's a relief to be honest. I don't know why I was considering 21k when I've never even done a 10k on the road. I won't shy away from any longer races in the future but I don't want to suffer all the way through 13 miles off nothing but 3 weeks training.

I've had a quiet two weeks, running wise. I took a week off with a stiff knee which was annoying me. I felt it needed rest so intended to lay off for 2 or 3 days but ended up taking a full 7 days off as I was busy with other things.

First run back was 8 miles in 53:16 (6:39 pace) and I felt great. Knee was not sore at all. I wore a HR monitor and the average was 172bpm which I know is really high. It honestly didn't feel that difficult though so while the HR shows a lack of fitness, I was so happy to be out running steady that I didn't feel it. I should have ran the next day and the day after but got a last minute ticket to Electric Picnic and enjoyed myself at the weekend rather than worrying too much about running. I saw Martin Fagan in the campsite actually.

I came home a bit ill (not alcohol-induced!) So took Monday and Tuesday off. Today I went out for an easy 6 miles in around 43 minutes keeping things nice and easy. I entered the Ratoath 5k next weekend to help race myself back to shape.

That's me updated anyway.

Thursday: 5 miles in 38:08 (7:31/mile)

Friday: 7 miles in 49:44 (7:05/mile)

Two days of crawling. I feel like my legs have forgotten how to run. Both today and yesterday seemed like the last few miles of a marathon where I'm just trying to get to the line, but instead they were just short slow runs that normally feel like nothing.

Today's run looks a bit faster but that's only because I was on my regular route which is all flat or has net downhill sections. With cross country looming, it reminds me I need to run more in the mountains or pay Carton House or Ardgillan more visits. Running on flat roads won't help me much!

I found out today that the National Inter Counties on the 25th of November will be held near Ratoath by Meath County Board which is good news for me as I'm only up the road. I only wish I had just smashed that half-marathon in Athenry and had a great base at the minute rather than struggling to run for an hour like I am right now.

I'll be happy with a 16:59 next weekend in the Ratoath 5k! Hoping my body wakes up over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Lock wrote: »
    Thursday: 5 miles in 38:08 (7:31/mile)

Friday: 7 miles in 49:44 (7:05/mile)

Two days of crawling. I feel like my legs have forgotten how to run. Both today and yesterday seemed like the last few miles of a marathon where I'm just trying to get to the line, but instead they were just short slow runs that normally feel like nothing.

Today's run looks a bit faster but that's only because I was on my regular route which is all flat or has net downhill sections. With cross country looming, it reminds me I need to run more in the mountains or pay Carton House or Ardgillan more visits. Running on flat roads won't help me much!

I found out today that the National Inter Counties on the 25th of November will be held near Ratoath by Meath County Board which is good news for me as I'm only up the road. I only wish I had just smashed that half-marathon in Athenry and had a great base at the minute rather than struggling to run for an hour like I am right now.

I'll be happy with a 16:59 next weekend in the Ratoath 5k! Hoping my body wakes up over the next few days.

Cheers for that had been wondering where this was on this year. Glad dont have too far to travel should be a good one. Any idea of the course yet or what its like?

ecoli wrote: »
    Cheers for that had been wondering where this was on this year. Glad dont have too far to travel should be a good one. Any idea of the course yet or what its like?

I was thinking the same myself. The last two years I've had overnight stays to get to Sligo racecourse and Derry the year before, so this is much easier indeed! I just saw it on a Meath athletics blog post talking about the upcoming novice and intermediate fixtures. They happened to mention the inter counties would be held "near Tattersalls in Ratoath by Meath County Board."

I presume that means behind Tattersalls, rather than on the racecourse. Not sure if you're familiar with the area. Tattersalls is where they auction off horses across the road from Fairyhouse. Huge carpark for all the horseboxes so it meets that requirement. I doubt it will be held on the racecourse itself but possibly on land around Tattersalls? I've only ever driven past it. I'm sure I'll hear more about the setup in the next few weeks, I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 9 miles in 65:18 (7:15/mile)

Beautiful day and a beautiful run, all things considered. Ran around Newbridge House for the first time in ages and felt comfortable aerobically. Legs still quite heavy and knee lift wasn't great but that's OK. I was even getting compliments off walkers; "Now there's a nice stride" some oul fella said to me.

Legs are starting to wake up and remember they belong to a runner. I'll try a slow 10 or 11 tomorrow I think

Sunday: 13 miles in 1:25:57 (6:36/mile)

These are the kind of numbers I like to see on my Garmin after a long run. Admittedly, I was a little uncomfortable the whole way but I couldn't help myself but try to hold a steady pace. I'll probably be very tired tomorrow. Glad to have overcome some dead legs in the space of 48 hours or so. Bang on 40 miles for the week, which is pitiful but at least I'm back out there every day.

I saw today that Avondale Forest Park in Rathdrum is hosting the Leinster Novice/Masters XC. Looking forward to it already.

I had a bad start to this week's training, which was my own fault. Didn't take my chances to get out for a run on Monday or Tuesday so both days passed with no miles!

I squeezed in 4 miles yesterday. I intended to do a bit of fartlek for an hour or so but I only had half that time free. I threw in a fastish last mile of 5:30 but that was more because my legs were itching to go after two days off.

Quite embarrassing to have only 4 miles done by Thursday but I have a track session at 7 o'clock and a race on Sunday in Ratoath, which will act as a bit of a workout too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement