Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time gaming pc, budget around 1200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Somebody much smarter than me will be along but in the meantime a couple of things:

(1) i7 vs i5 - stick with the i5, its cheaper and just as good for games. the only difference is hyperthreading which is only useful for video processing.

(2) graphics card - the new range of radeons is due out in February which will push prices down across the board. if youre building a gaming PC it's worth waiting a few weeks for the prices to change, youll be able to afford a better graphics card and be futureproofed for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

get a z68 gen 3 board. you cant go wrong with that. i would try to stay away from gigabyte range as those got some annoying bugs.

its my personal preference, but i would choose the board with sli/cs ready. an extra 10 quid, but its handy to have. who knows, maybe you will come by on adverts gpu which you already have, but for very low price?

Ram: 8gb is more then enough. even 4 gb will do for gaming, but its so cheap these days, so its a sin not to grab 8gb. try not to take ram with big heat spreaders. those are bastards when you try to install aftermarket coolers.

i7 vs i5 - if you are GAMER, then all you need is 2500k. its a flipping champ for gaming nerds.

gpu: yes, there will be a 7 series out soon, but thats going to be only 7970 for now. its a 500eu GPU and i really doubt you want that. there are not much details on 7850/7870, which are for mortals like us. so i really doubt we will see them february ( i might be wrong, so if someone wants to correct me, go ahead ).
    good thing is: there is not a huge leap in performance from gen 6 to gen 7, so even if you will get this gen gPU, you wont be feeling raped like in "pentium 1" times. it will be still very very fast gpu. you will be able to use new gen cards in your advantage too: new gen will push down prices so you will be able to gen second card for sli/cs setup.
    your budget lets you go for gtx570 or 6970.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

maybe this case?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50916&agid=631

i got that myself and i found it very very good. Comes with 4 fans too. it will knock off 50 quid off, which you could use for bigger ssd? 128gb?

this ram instead maybe?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48886&agid=1193

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

He might as well stick with the RAM he's got; €2 cheaper, and the same.

IMO, the 600T is far superior to the 500R, so I'd stick with that as well.

Cheaper, and slightly better secondary drive: Spinpoint.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the input guys will take that on board
    One more question though do I need case fans for this build ?
    cheers

Serephucus wrote: »
    He might as well stick with the RAM he's got; €2 cheaper, and the same.

IMO, the 600T is far superior to the 500R, so I'd stick with that as well.

Cheaper, and slightly better secondary drive: Spinpoint.

well case will be case and it will still be a 100eu good quality case. that saved 50 quid can go to 128gb ssd, which will actually make difference.

alot of heads, alot of opinions. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nope, you won't need case fans with the 600T. You can get a couple of optional ones (I think) if you want extra, or you can replace what's there, but no, it'll come with plenty of fans.

Ok will go ahead with that build and put some pics up on the other thread thanks again guys

Advertisement