Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda protection is slashed due to cutbacks

• 02-01-2012 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

MOB YULE

Gangsters' 'best-ever Christmas present' as Murder Inc witnesses' armed Garda protection is slashed due to cutbacks

philly-treacy.jpg FEARS: Philly Treacy
    FEARS: Philly Treacy

TWO FAMILIES who helped take down Limerick's Murder Inc Mob have had their Garda protection pulled days before Christmas. Philly Treacy - whose son Owen helped put away five members of the McCarthy-Dundon mob for the murder of Kieran Keane - was told the security around his family was being axed due to budget cutbacks.

And State witness Mark Heffernan revealed that he too has lost his Garda protection detail, despite being under a death threat for testifying against the mobsters.
    "It's the best Christmas present they could have given the country's gangsters. The drug dealers and the hitmen know that witnesses will be even more reluctant to come forward," Heffernan said.
    A devastated Mr Treacy told the Sunday World this week: "When my son was shot dead and my other son Owen gave evidence, the agreement was that we would have security for life and the family would be protected.
    "I was told it is because of cutbacks. When I go out that door, my wife doesn't think I am coming back."
    Armed protection pulled from families who took down Murder Inc

GARDAI have pulled protection from two families who helped bring down Limerick's Murder Inc mob just days before Christmas because of cutbacks. State witness Mark Heffernan and the family of marked man Owen Treacy - who have already had one son murdered - say the decision is like a death sentence. They have pulled the plug with just days' notice, according to Heffernan and Treacy's father Philly.
    "Its gone from 'high risk' to 'you're dead safe' to 'no problems' in a matter of days," a worried Heffernan told the Sunday World.
    "There is no scaling it down. Two days before Christmas they are pulling the plug on it

Testimony

daniel-treacy.jpg MURDERED: Daniel Treacy
    MURDERED: Daniel Treacy

The family of murder witness Owen Treacy - whose testimony put five of the McCarthy/Dundon gang behind bars for life - has been told that their protection has been withdrawn because of budgets. Their son Daniel, who had no involvement in gangland crime, was murdered in a brutal execution while on a bread run on the Ennis Road, in Limerick city centre.

His breadman father Philly has had police protection since his son Owen gave evidence about witnessing the murder of his uncle Kieran Keane. Owen had a miracle escape himself after being repeatedly stabbed by the killers.
    "When I go out that door my wife doesn't think I am coming back," a distraught Philly Treacy said in a rare interview.
    "I was told by the same detective who told me that my son had been killed that now my protection would be gone.
    "They've made three threats to take it off us, but not because the threat isn't there. It was just because of cutbacks.
    "I was brought in and told that cutbacks imposed from Dublin meant that my security was pulled completely. Two days later all our protection was gone."
    The Gardai told him that they would continue to do spot checks on the family.
    "When my son was shot dead and my other son Owen gave evidence, the agreement was that we would have security for life and the family would be protected.They are all there when they want your help but when you need it they desert you," the devastated dad added.
    He is now vowing to go to the High Court in the new year to try and reverse the decision.
    Owen Treacy's testimony helped put Dessie Dundon, David 'Frogs Eyes' Stanners, James McCarthy, Christopher 'Smokie' Costelloe, and Anthony 'Noddy' McCarthy away for life for murder.
    Desperation

mark-heffernan.jpg THREAT: Heffernan
    THREAT: Heffernan

As the five men were being led away, one shouted: "For every action there's a reaction - remember that."

State witness Mark Heffernan spent last week driving on the bread run with Mr Treacy so his own armed protection detail would be present. But now he too has been told his security is being pulled.
    "It's a mark of our desperation that State witnesses are following each other around to effectively share armed protection," Heffernan said.
    "It was the best Christmas present they could have given the country's gangsters. The drug dealers and the hitmen know that witnesses will be even more reluctant to come forward," Heffernan said.
    "They more or less told me that there is no threat to my safety and that I talk to criminals or ex-criminals on a daily basis and therefore there is no threat to me.
    "The phrase they used to me was 'moderate risk' but clearly everyone knows it must be cutbacks. At least they were straight with the Treacys. Everybody knows the danger I'm in."
    Heffernan had 24-hour armed security as part of a protective umbrella around him and his family but he was told on Monday that it would finish this week. Heffernan said that he talks to ex-criminals and young offenders as part of his community outreach work trying to bring a peace process to Limerick gangland.
    Conviction

james-collins-gareth-chris-mccarthy.jpg James Collins (right) son Gareth (c) and Chris McCarthy
    James Collins (right) son Gareth (c) and Chris McCarthy

It is less than a year since he testified and was instrumental in securing the conviction of seven key Limerick underworld figures, including Jimmy Collins, Christopher and David McCormack and Christopher McCarthy.

At the jailing of Jimmy Collins, his son Gareth and Christopher McCarthy for using threats with menace, Chief Supt David Sheehan said that Heffernan and his family were threatened with being burned out of Limerick and that Heffernan - from Southill, a stronghold of the McCarthy/Dundons - was a dead man if he did not pay the gang the money they were demanding from the former nightclub boss.
    His case sparked a changing of the guard in the city and has arguably given Limerick its most peaceful period in the last decade. Heffernan was told this week that he did not warrant security anymore. He was told by his liaison officer that there was no intelligence relating to any threat to his life. Heffernan asked for it in writing and said that he was told that it was unlikely to be forthcoming.
    Previously, in the immediate aftermath of the court case, the Gardai had asked Heffernan to consider disappearing into the witness protection programme and assuming a new identity. The Gardai had told Heffernan that if he chose to live in Limerick, they would
    protect him. Heffernan took that as a promise and now is devastated that it is gone overnight.
    ''They told me they had a duty to protect me and now they have abandoned me and my family.There are others in my family who get protection and it's all gone," he said.
    Repay

mark-heffernan-paul-crawford.jpg RISK: Donal, Paul Crawford and Mark Heffernan
    RISK: Donal, Paul Crawford and Mark Heffernan

"If I am taken out you have it from me that the State will have my blood on its hands. I put my life at risk to tell the truth and this is how they repay me and others."

A key underworld source who has been a target of Limerick gardai for decades told the Sunday World that Heffernan and Treacy would now be vulnerable.
    "This is a city of vendettas," the veteran gangster warned. "Memories run hard and long and what they and their families did is not forgotten.
    "There will be some very pleased people out there just waiting for their opportunity. They are in grave danger, make no mistake."
    Heffernan added: "I gave evidence even though people like Roy Collins were killed because they challenged the mob. I knew the risks and despite the death of Roy Collins and Daniel Treacy, I did my side of the bargain - now the Gardai have deserted me.
    "If they are saying I am not at risk, why didn't their intelligence system prevent the murder of innocents in the city?
    "I don't believe they have their finger on the pulse of Limerick's gangland and unfortunately myself and the Treacy family may pay the ultimate price."
    Heffernan, a full-time community worker with charity Changing Lives, said he will protest outside the Dáil to complain about the treatment of State witnesses. Heffernan has been ruffling feathers in the city with his programme, aimed at bringing ex-offenders to work on antigang initiatives. Similar schemes have proved very effective in the UK and in the US. Through his community work and football programmes, Heffernan has engaged with ex-offenders, including Paul Crawford, a former key underworld figure whose innocent brother Noel was shot by mistake in an attack meant for him.
    It is his association with these former underworld figures that has partly given the State the ammunition to withdraw his security.
    "When there is a secure peace then of course we will not need protection but until then the Treacys and I are under threat," Heffernan said.
    "After what I've been through I can only advise people not to take to the witness stand. You will not be protected. Without protection my life is going to be very difficult. I am now walking on egg shells. It's not just me but I've got to think about my family.
    "In all fairness, the people who looked after me day to day were lovely but it's the accountants who have put money before life that I have the issue with."
    Philly Treacy added: "A death sentence is not the present you want at this time or any time of the year."

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php?aid=9820

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thats pretty low, so they promise the world and say "help us out, do the right thing and we'll look after ye....." Then a while later you're fcuked.

- I wonder if the worst happens will the Garda Commissionor and Minister for Justice show up in their 2012 Mercs to grimace sadly for the cameras and tut-tut for show?

Slightly related, I spoke with someone before who served jury duty a few years back and was disturbed one afternoon when he saw the 12 names and full addresses of all Jurors were being displayed in the rear of the Courtroom.

- Wouldn't you be some fool to go along with that system and put yourself and your family potentially in harms way as part of our sham revolving door, missing book of evidence, no police work done, 'justice' system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The same Mark Heffernan who was so in fear for his life that he did photoshoots for interviews in the same estate where those that are meant to be out to kill him live?

The same Mark Heffernan who was quick to run to the papers to get himself photographed with Paul Crawford to try and paint themselves as some kind of local heroes?

The same Mark Heffernan who managed to really tick off the parents of a lot of kids with how he tried to enroll those kids into joining HillCeltic?

Yeah he was really looking like a guy trying to keep a low profile and who was in fear for his life.:rolleyes: Forgive me if I cannot feel any sympathy for a man who was associated with people who have caused so much misery in Limerick, but who ended up needing protection from the very same people he was once happy to have involvement with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

Kess73 wrote: »
    The same Mark Heffernan who was so in fear for his life that he did photoshoots for interviews in the same estate where those that are meant to be out to kill him live?

The same Mark Heffernan who was quick to run to the papers to get himself photographed with Paul Crawford to try and paint themselves as some kind of local heroes?

The same Mark Heffernan who managed to really tick off the parents of a lot of kids with how he tried to enroll those kids into joining HillCeltic?

Yeah he was really looking like a guy trying to keep a low profile and who was in fear for his life.:rolleyes: Forgive me if I cannot feel any sympathy for a man who was associated with people who have caused so much misery in Limerick, but who ended up needing protection from the very same people he was once happy to have involvement with.

I totally agree with everything you said about Mark Herrernan, he isnt the brightest bulb in the pack and had pissed off a load of officials/people but what about Phily Tracey, he doesnt deserve this, a law abiding citizen that got caught up in this with no fault of his own, and as much as I admire Steve Collons surely if the threat is gone it must be gone for them all. his name isnt mentioned in the report at all so we must take it that he still has his security.

imo, the Dundons are a dangerous breed, even while in prison, all it takes is 1 junkie to owe them money and cant pay it and he will be told to go after one of them, also if you are in the witness protection then the governemnt should not welch on their part of the deal.

I tell you its doing the guards no favours as who will give info now, no-one because witness protection only applies when the money is there. its counter productive when it come to fighting crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just how strong are the gangs now? I've been out of Limerick for a while but it seems to be a good bit quieter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

skyguy19 wrote: »
    I totally agree with everything you said about Mark Herrernan, he isnt the brightest bulb in the pack and had pissed off a load of officials/people but what about Phily Tracey, he doesnt deserve this, a law abiding citizen that got caught up in this with no fault of his own, and as much as I admire Steve Collons surely if the threat is gone it must be gone for them all. his name isnt mentioned in the report at all so we must take it that he still has his security.

imo, the Dundons are a dangerous breed, even while in prison, all it takes is 1 junkie to owe them money and cant pay it and he will be told to go after one of them, also if you are in the witness protection then the governemnt should not welch on their part of the deal.

I tell you its doing the guards no favours as who will give info now, no-one because witness protection only applies when the money is there. its counter productive when it come to fighting crime.

Heffernan got involved with certain scum. He was happy to do that. Happy to be associated with them. Then things go sour. They say he owes money so he runs to the Gardai to rat out a few of his old associates. This causes the scum to target him more and he ends up getting Garda protection.

What does he do whilst under Garda protection? He starts given interviews to Paul Williams and the Sunday World and does so near the homes of those he says he needs protection from. He gets other so called ex gang members to get involved and yet again he is rambling away to the Sunday World and being photographed near those people's homes. Seems to me he was happy to get into bed with the criminals when it suited him, and when he had garda protection he was happy to go, with newspaper photographers and journos, into the areas where those criminals lived.

Now when it looks like his Garda protection might be cut or taklen away what does he do? He yet again runs to the papers for another shot of publicity.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Phil Treacy I would have a bit more sympathy for as he and his dead son are the victims thanks to who his other son associated with and thanks to who his son made enemies of.

The likes of Steve Collins are totally different. Roy Collins had no gang links, no criminal links, no criminal records or anything like that. Roy Collins was a regular bloke who lived a life where he was not hurting others or breaking the law. He and his family are true victims. They are victims of the scum criminals that the likes of Mark Heffernan and Owen Treacy associated with, and as such should always be treated on a higher level in my eyes.

• Advertisement

@kess73, agree with everything you say, well put.heffernan is a loudmouth and not the cleverest bloke, also heard, he has only been 6 months with hillceltic and the ref's are going to refuse to ref anymore games because of intimitation from him and the ldmc are going to back the ref's up, you might just see hillceltic going out of football if mark heffernan stays involved with them.

wasnt he arrested a few months ago as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Sunday World is a rag the way they announce these cutbacks on the front page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

RonMexico wrote: »
    The Sunday World is a rag the way they announce these cutbacks on the front page.

The scum would have found out that the protection was pulled irrespective of the fact it was reported in the paper.

The point of putting it on the front page is, presumably, to put pressure on the guards to bring back the protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time before the Collins family protection is removed also. Almost 30% of the Daily Garda hours in Henry St are tied up on armed protection duties. I think it would be conceivable and probable that the State will offer them substantial money to leave the country at some stage.

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »

your point being !!!!!!! if they put it on the middle page or the back page would it have made any differance to the facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The point of putting it on the front page is, presumably, to put pressure on the guards to bring back the protection.

Somehow I don't believe the Sunday World used this story as front page news to put pressure on the gardai to bring back the protection. This story was front page news to do one thing - sell newspapers!

This sad decision by the gardai sends one harsh message to anybody thinking of testifying against criminals - the word of the gardai means nothing. This is a sad time for the brave people who stood up to maniac murderers, I pray for the safety of them and their families and I hope to God the gardai have not made a big mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

The article could just as easily have been titled "lives in danger so public servants can continue to enjoy lavish pay, benefits and pensions under the Croke Park deal"

Guards can retire around age 50 and their pensions, if purchased on the open market, would cost the tax payer over €1m.

did anyone hear anything about Mark heffernan being on the late late show to-night

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Nobody will ever testify again, talk about being shafted by the state :mad:

Advertisement