Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emma Donoghues "Room"

Options
  • 02-01-2012 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this book yet? Your thoughts? :) No spoilers please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yes! I absolutely loved it ... a real page turner. Took a couple of chapters to get into it, purely because of the childish language used, but once I got used to that, and figured out what was going on, I couldn't put it down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Personally I found it extrememly overrated. The pace was very "off" and the story wasn't fleshed out in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I thought the first section was great - very compelling, but after that I thought it lost focus and started falling apart a bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

I really enjoyed this book. As previously mentioned it does take a few chapters to get into it but after that the story and the pace of it is great. It also has a wonderful ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Think i'll be buying this one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have heard so much about this book, both good and bad, that I feel I will have to get it now so I can form my own opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I read it this time last year. I enjoyed it. It's written in the POV of a 5 year old boy so the writing is a bit simplistic which makes it a quick read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

I really disliked it; I thought it was hugely overrated. As someone else noted, it starts out OK but then just loses its focus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Overrated I think but worth reading to form your own opinion on it I reckon. Some people I've talked to have really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I really enjoyed it - didn't think I would but it had been recommended to me so many times that I gave in and bought it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i enjoyed it so much that for the first and indeed only time in my life i wrote to the author to tell her how much i enjoyed it (emailed to be exact).

half an hour later she emailed me back thanking me for my thanks! i was very impressed!

I bought this today for a fiver in Hodges Figgis- looking forward to reading it now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Well worth a read, its subject matter being so topical is what lifted it into ubiquity though. Nothing particularly outstanding about the prose - not enoug to justify the fact that everyone in Ireland seemed to have a copy last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

it was ok

i thought the book was trying far too hard to be clever

I started reading it yesterday and I'm a good way through already- enjoying it so far anyway! :)

Finished "Room"- I really enjoyed it! I think I actually preferred the second half to the first, unlike some people.
    I felt so bad for Jack when Ma tried to kill herself.. especially since the Grandma didn't seem to great at dealing with him. I'm glad it ended on a positive note, I think I'd have been seriously depressed otherwise!

I certainly found it a book to be read in one or two sittings- once I got past page 100, I knew I wouldn't put it down until I got to the conclusion! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I enjoyed it. Its not a true story but worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Just started this on Wednesday, by started I mean listening. Got the audiobook from a friend and thought it was worth a go as I commute a lot to work. It might be different for me as I am listening to professional actors and I have a kid who is nearly the same age as Jack as opposed to reading it which might take a little longer to settle into the book, but I am really enjoying it. Half way through it now and really love the pace of the book too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I read it in one sitting and it made me cry. Such a poignant and surprising book, would heartily recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Merkin wrote: »
    I read it in one sitting and it made me cry. Such a poignant and surprising book, would heartily recommend it!

Just finished it yesterday and it was a very enjoyable read. At first I thought it seemed to have finished too soon and was going to run out of steam but it kept me very interested.

One sitting...how many hours? No way I could have done that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Thought the novel was a poor attempt to cash in on Wiseau's cinematic masterpiece "The Room" which never even came close to matching its intricate plots or deep characterisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

Bought it last weekend, started it the day before yesterday. Liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

It's alright.

It was compelling at first but lost all engagement after a certain point, really I finished it to see what happened. Towards the end I could no longer suspend my disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I loved it. The power of the book imo is the way she conveys the power of maternal love and how it can create and sustain a protective enviroment for a child even in extreme and extrordinary circumstances. The tenderness expressed by ma towards jack was really moving, even when you do question her motives sometimes. But I found it very moving.

Advertisement